Chat Thread 39: A Heartwarming Children's Movie

Putting dead threads to bed, Jed

Moderator: ArcWolf

Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Re: Chat Thread 39: A Heartwarming Children's Movie

Post by Blue Braixen »

The previous post does not contain a good idea.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I was able to get out of my fourth period class today, so I spent two hours in the physics lab. I've gotten a lot accomplished over the last two days, so I let myself go see The Hobbit with my friend earlier this evening. But afer work tomorrow morning, it's right back to the books for the rest of the weekend. :P

And oh man The Hobbit was so freaking good. So. Good.
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
MapleRatty

Post by MapleRatty »

Tha Housefox wrote:The previous post does not contain a good idea.
It works...you just have to make it a habit to set your alarm clock/phone for 3:00 AM on school days, and ONLY on school days!DON'T JUDGE MAH METHODS!! :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

Post by 0404 »

Otaku-Boy wrote:
It works...you just have to make it a habit to set your alarm clock/phone for 3:00 AM on school days, and ONLY on school days!DON'T JUDGE MAH METHODS!! :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:
Older kids know better than you son. heh :P
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Otaku-Boy wrote:you just have to make it a habit to set your alarm clock/phone for 3:00 AM on school days
Wake up at 3:00 AM on school days? Why? I would rather stay up later to get the work done.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
MapleRatty

Post by MapleRatty »

texascat018 wrote:
Otaku-Boy wrote:
Older kids know better than you son. heh :P
curses :lol:
JeffCvt wrote:
Otaku-Boy wrote:you just have to make it a habit to set your alarm clock/phone for 3:00 AM on school days
Wake up at 3:00 AM on school days? Why? I would rather stay up later to get the work done.
mom would kill(yell at a lot) me if I was up at midnight during school days :|
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Here's some advice from someone who made it through high school and college with an extremely difficult degree:

1.) Do your homework at the earliest feasible time. This gives you more freedom later and also makes sure it gets done and gets done well.
2.) Get plenty of sleep. Homework sucks like 9 times as hard when you're tired.
3.) Make sure your sleep schedule is somewhat regular. Getting up extra-early or extra-late on single days is bad for your quality of sleep. On weekends you have some leeway, but try to get up at weekday times on the weekends too if you don't have plans late the night before.
4.) Paying attention in class makes homework easier and therefore faster. You're already in school even if you don't pay attention. It saves time to focus.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Sleet wrote:Here's some advice from someone who made it through high school and college with an extremely difficult degree:

1.) Do your homework at the earliest feasible time. This gives you more freedom later and also makes sure it gets done and gets done well.
3.) Make sure your sleep schedule is somewhat regular. Getting up extra-early or extra-late on single days is bad for your quality of sleep. On weekends you have some leeway, but try to get up at weekday times on the weekends too if you don't have plans late the night before.
4.) Paying attention in class makes homework easier and therefore faster. You're already in school even if you don't pay attention. It saves time to focus.
1: I never did this in high school, and while my grades in Senior year were great, I don't recommend it. I was always stressed and rushing my homework... even though that's when I do my best work. xD
2:I never did that, either. Go partial insomnia and wanting to stay up to talk to my mate! X3
3: What's a regular sleep schedule? Sounds like a hassle.
4: I was always on my phone in class. Even the ones that didn't allow them. My teachers stopped caring because I was always a good student and my grades were great. xD
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Sleet wrote:Here's some advice from someone who made it through high school and college with an extremely difficult degree:

I agree with all but 3. No way am I waking up before noon or going to sleep before 4 at the earliest on a weekend.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:

I agree with all but 3. No way am I waking up before noon or going to sleep before 4 at the earliest on a weekend.
Sleet's just a big prude. :P
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

I had some really tough exams this past semester so I only got like five hours sleep each night during the exam weeks. This meant that as soon as exams finished I slept like 12 hours each night for a week and now I feel my sleep schedule is permanently out of wack seeing as I go to bed around 2am each night and get up around 10am each day. It's okay for now since I'm on holidays and I work nights at a restaurant but I'm dreading returning to uni in a couple of months. :(

As for study habits, the subjects I enjoy I'll learn to death but anything else I learn just enough to get good marks on assessment then cram for two days before the exams. It's not the best but it certainly works for me, I manage to learn the entirety of three subjects during study week, I think of it as efficient! :P
Feel like you need a friend? I'm happy to talk anytime! :D

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Currently working on: "The Warriors" Book
FritzyBeat

Post by FritzyBeat »

Otaku-Boy wrote:...didn't Diss say everybody who mentions bacon will get hurt to death? :lol:

Cuz' if that's the case....I better get my Dissshooter ready 8-)

Also
TheMobian wrote:Image
Is this a canon comic, or fanart....sorry, but I've never read the comics :?
Its from the old Fleetway Published "Sonic the Comic" series from Britain.
The comic (Excluding its oline continuation) has been dead for a long time, but yes this was an actual bi-weekly comic book.
Sleet wrote:If I had to guess it's probably from the earlier parts of one of the comics. The Mobian may disown me for this, but at the very least the Archie one sucked early on. :P
Don't worry, like the father of the prodigal son, I will welcome you back with open arms.

Actually, I'm not surprised you would have thought this. The early years of the comics where very loony and goofy, and after issue 80, things really didn't fully pick up again for good (art or story-wise) Until around issue 160. So in short, lots of moments where you'd wonder how the person in question ever managed to make it as a professional =P

When it comes to Fleetway though... they were a little different. One moment they would be telling stunning stories that put the Archie comics at the time to shame, the next moment... Your eyes are bleeding away into a puddle of tears as to why God could allow such a horrible thing to exist. =P
Stuff. wrote:
Okay, I'm relatively unfamiliar with Sonic's various comic incarnations, so I must ask...

Did this even make sense in context?
Honestly, its been so long since I read the comic, I can't even remember :P
Fino is coming, and he's bringing moon pizza.
MapleRatty

Post by MapleRatty »

...so there used to be a canon comic where Tails tied up by BACON happened :shock:

I've heard of dense and wacky, but isn't that pushing some sort of line :|
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Well one of my professors just sent out an email with the first reading assignment for their class. I guess break is unofficially over. :(
Otaku-Boy wrote:...so there used to be a canon comic where Tails tied up by BACON happened :shock:

It's a comic about talking hedgehogs. It crossed the whacky line a loooooooooong time ago.
Sleet wrote:college...Get plenty of sleep.
Well see now we know you're nuts.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Otaku-Boy wrote:
I knew someone who does that. I won't judge; some people do their best after they've had some sleep. Most of us aren't morning people, though. I am though! My mid-day classes are difficult to stay focused in, unless I really love the subject. I prefer doing my homework in the mornings too. But at like 9 AM, not so early that it would screw up my internal clock. I have mild insomnia like THF so I fall asleep later than most people. Getting up at 3 AM would mean two or three hours of sleep, and I would be too exhausted to do anything.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

What kind of school do you go to that you get up at 9:00 AM, do your homework, and then still have time to get there?

My first period starts at 8:30. If I woke up at 9 and then did my homework, I'd miss the first class of the day.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

JeffCvt wrote:What kind of school do you go to that you get up at 9:00 AM, do your homework, and then still have time to get there?

My first period starts at 8:30. If I woke up at 9 and then did my homework, I'd miss the first class of the day.
I am a dual-enrollment student between my high school and local community college.
My classes this semester were as follows:
Honors English, 8:00 AM to 9:30 AM
Expository Writing (online): 9:35 to 11:05
Lunch
Honors Physics: 11:35 to 1:05
Librarian Assistant: 1:10 to 2:35

My high school English class is too slow-paced for me. I oftentimes multitask just so I can keep myself awake instead of sleeping from boredom. My college writing class did not give hardly any work (as compared to the workload I can handle) so I usually do my webcomic and forum reading while I'm in the computer lab, as well as study. The same thing goes for fourth period.

Next semester, my schedule is:
AP Calculus BC: 8:00 to 9:30
Honors Computer Programming 2: 9:35 to 11:05

And then I'll have my three online college classes, Argumentative-Based Research, Psychology, and Western Civilization during the afternoons. Heck, when the college is on their breaks (they are not on the same schedule as my high school), my school day will be over at 11:05 AM and I can have more time for work. And since my programming class is going to be a joke as well, I'm kind of an independent student after Calculus BC.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Lucky. As far as I know, there is no real way to have it that easy at my school.

Of course, my school also has one of the highest credit counts required to graduate in the state I believe. There are some kids who transfer their senior year and only need one or two classes in their new school to graduate.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

JeffCvt wrote:Lucky. As far as I know, there is no real way to have it that easy at my school.

Of course, my school also has one of the highest credit counts required to graduate in the state I believe. There are some kids who transfer their senior year and only need one or two classes in their new school to graduate.
Most kids at my school don't know they can have it that easy either. ;)
We have to pass 28 classes at least. What's yours? I'll have 34 classes by graduation.

Post by 0404 »

30 for me, and 17 compulsory credit is required for graduation.

and I already have extra 4.5 credit! so by the time I graduate, I'll have at least, 34.5 credits. heh
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Uh, I probably should know off the top of my head how many credits I need, but I'm not sure.

I do know that they just increased it by two last year by requiring four credits of scince and math instead of three.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

We have to have:
3 credits of science
3 credits of history
4 credits of math
4 credits of English
2 credits in a foreign language
1 credit in physical education

And the remaining 11 mandatory credits are electives to your choosing. A lot of us choose to take extra science and math credits as part of those electives. For example, I have seven science credits and seven math credits. I have an extra history credit from Western Civilization, and two extra English credits from my college English courses. I've really only taken six classes that could really be defined as "electives," and five of those are computer classes.
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

So guys, I had a great birthday today! First time ever I've ever had anything like a party, hung with my friends for sooooo long, but it was good
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:So guys, I had a great birthday today! First time ever I've ever had anything like a party, hung with my friends for sooooo long, but it was good
I didn't know this until today, but you're exactly one month older than me. :3
I'm glad you had a great day! *hugs*
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I am a sleep prude. I actually refuse to sleep after 10:00, even if I have nothing to do the next day.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Stuff.

Post by Stuff. »

Otaku-Boy wrote:...so there used to be a canon comic where Tails tied up by BACON happened :shock:

Well, arguably, it still makes more sense than PUMPKIN WHAT
*cough*
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:So guys, I had a great birthday today! First time ever I've ever had anything like a party, hung with my friends for sooooo long, but it was good
Happy Birthday Grey!!! *runs up to Grey and jumps in his arms, knocking him over*

I usually downplay having a party in the weeks before my birthday but they're always fun!
Feel like you need a friend? I'm happy to talk anytime! :D

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Currently working on: "The Warriors" Book
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Sleet wrote:I am a sleep prude. I actually refuse to sleep after 10:00, even if I have nothing to do the next day.
She isn't lazy enough! Get him!
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Nah, I'm too tired right now to get Sleet. *falls asleep till 11:00*
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
MapleRatty

Post by MapleRatty »

Sleet wrote:I am a sleep prude. I actually refuse to sleep after 10:00, even if I have nothing to do the next day.
You are not alone in that ground :D

My MOM on the other hand, unless she drunk to much coffee, makes it a point to sleep for at least 12 hours, which considering when she works, it's 12 to 13 hours a workday.....it's understandable.
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

The Christmas break has spoiled me. I used to be awake at 8 AM on days when I was not needed anywhere or had nowhere to be. Now its a struggle to wake up at 10!

How could someone be so tired after sleeping for 10 hours?
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
jopencjusz

Post by jopencjusz »

It's possible, in the past I had same problems during different breaks.
My account on DA (something happens since I'm back here :))

My youtube accoint (with failed attemps to at least pretend I can sing)

Student, basketball referee, activist in old basketball club and official member of this club
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:How could someone be so tired after sleeping for 10 hours?
It's actually entirely possible to oversleep, you know. The average number of hours required for a "good night's sleep" for most people is about 8 hours. Some people function better with only 6 or 7. And some people need a little more. But once you've gotten enough sleep, if you still stay in bed and try to sleep more (I did this all the time while I wasn't working) you'll just end up making yourself groggy when you wake up.

The same thing happens with naps. They've done studies that show that a 10-15 minute nap will almost always be more rejuvenating than a half hour or hour-long one.

I also think there's something to do with REM cycles that comes into play. Meaning that there are certain times of the day where you'll find falling asleep (and, by extension, waking up) easier than if you tried to fall asleep at another point of the day.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

KJOokami wrote: The same thing happens with naps. They've done studies that show that a 10-15 minute nap will almost always be more rejuvenating than a half hour or hour-long one.
Aren't those usually called powernaps?
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

I dunno if that's a technical term or not, but that's what I usually call 'em, yeah.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
jopencjusz

Post by jopencjusz »

Tiggy wrote:
KJOokami wrote: The same thing happens with naps. They've done studies that show that a 10-15 minute nap will almost always be more rejuvenating than a half hour or hour-long one.
Aren't those usually called powernaps?
Not 100% sure, but as I remember, those are powernaps.

Student, basketball referee, activist in old basketball club and official member of this club
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

KJOokami wrote:I also think there's something to do with REM cycles that comes into play. Meaning that there are certain times of the day where you'll find falling asleep (and, by extension, waking up) easier than if you tried to fall asleep at another point of the day.
That's Circadian Rhythms, actually. REM is one of the sleep cycles, Circadian Rhythms are the times your body wants you to sleep. and I ignore them.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

In other news, hey guys my thumb is purple!
jopencjusz

Post by jopencjusz »

Hmmm, I belive it's not natural color for thumb ;)

Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
KJOokami wrote:I also think there's something to do with REM cycles that comes into play. Meaning that there are certain times of the day where you'll find falling asleep (and, by extension, waking up) easier than if you tried to fall asleep at another point of the day.
That's Circadian Rhythms, actually. REM is one of the sleep cycles, Circadian Rhythms are the times your body wants you to sleep. and I ignore them.
I do too.