Chat Thread 39: A Heartwarming Children's Movie

Putting dead threads to bed, Jed

Moderator: ArcWolf

Karl

Re: Chat Thread 39: A Heartwarming Children's Movie

Post by Karl »

Seth wrote:I don't think I've ever seen any of the lord of the rings movies all the way through. I need ot fix that someday if I want to keep my nerd credentials.
Forget about movies. Read the books! ;p
I'm a bookworm!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I saw the first two movies, but I never read the books.
The Hobbit, however, will be a different story. I read the book a while ago, so I should be familiar with what happens in the movie.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:try 3 hours.
Actually try 4.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

yeah, I know they're all 4 hours give or take, but because he specified over 2 hours, I increased it to over three.

also, Otaku, it should be noted that over 2 hours is a normal length fora big movie. I think that was the length of the theatrical releases. as Sleet said, the extended cuts are all around 4 hours, making the entire trilogy run over 12 hours.

Will there be extended cuts of the Hobbit movies, or does spreading one book over 3 movies make that unnecessary?
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

They're including stories from the Simarillion so I don't really know how big the extended cuts will be.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

needless to say, anyone marathoning would need to separate the LotR trilogy from the Hobbit trilogy. Unless they have an entire day of free time.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

I know that once they're all out on DVD, I will most definitely be giving a shot to watching all 6 of them in one sitting. Probably only if I can convince some friends to be stupid with me, though.

You'd have to plan all of the meals beforehand so you at least had something substantial to eat for the day, but I think it'd be awesome. Start off at midnight (maybe take a nap the afternoon/evening beforehand) with the usual popcorn and other junk foods. Cereal, oatmeal, and fruit for breakfast after the first two films or so. Break out some cheese/veggie platters and some pre-made sandwiches for lunch after the third film. Then about a half hour before the fifth movie ends, order some pizza or take-out Chinese or something and make a mad-dash to pick it up once the film is over. And then you've got dinner and leftovers from everything else for the last one.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Some theaters around Raleigh have been playing all three films in a marathon to take advantage of the buzz around "The Hobbit" coming out. I have a hard cover book with all three volumes of "The Lord of the Rings" in it. I have just started reading it. My mind keeps going to all the differences between it and the films.

I also have a copy of "The Hobbit". I really should read it.
Nyaliva wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:If I were anymore introverted I would implode.
You should try the Jung-Briggs Meyers Personality Test, it's pretty accurate as far as my friends and I have found and it pretty much works out how your mind works. I got INFJ which stands for Introvert, iNtuitive, Feeling, Judging which doesn't tell you much but the breakdown page is pretty descriptive.
Here you go!
It did not tell me anything that I did not already know.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
MapleRatty

Post by MapleRatty »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:Otaku, it should be noted that over 2 hours is a normal length for a big movie.
I know that(still seems rather long though), but to watch a SERIES of 2 hour movies IN ONE GO is rather shocking...and rather impressive.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Karlos wrote:
Seth wrote:I don't think I've ever seen any of the lord of the rings movies all the way through. I need ot fix that someday if I want to keep my nerd credentials.
Nah fantasy literature isn't my thing. The books would probably serve as a good sleep aid though. :P
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Seth wrote:
Karlos wrote:
Nah fantasy literature isn't my thing. The books would probably serve as a good sleep aid though. :P
But if you read the books you can use your imagination!
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
Radio Blue Heart

Exactly! And everyone imagines everything in a different way, depending on what details the author adds.

I watched an adaptation of H. P. Lovecraft's "Pickman's Model" and their characters looked nothing like how I imagined them. If anything they looked worse because the monster looked more like a large bipedal mouse instead of the canine like creatures described in the story.

Another good example is the film version of F. Paul Wilson's novel "The Keep". Michael Mann took that book in some really weird directions.
-Virgil
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

I read all the Narnia books and yeah, better than watching the few movies they actually made.
Sent from my conifer.
Radio Blue Heart

When I was in elementary school, one of my teachers read "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe" to us, and I thought it was the greatest thing ever written.

It had talking animals and monsters! What's not to love?
-Virgil
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

I wish the sorcerer's nephew had a movie
Sent from my conifer.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The third Narnia movie didn't go over too well (partially because apparently they really butchered the book?), so I'm not sure if all seven will see movies. Which is a shame, because the first two movies were good.
Karl

Post by Karl »

I always have problems watching movie based on a book I read. Literature allow me to understand what the author truly meant, and by his work, I am able to use my imagination to see the world he created. The movie not only cuts parts or modifies something, but forces me to see director's suggestive point of view. That's why it's hard to find a really good movie truly based on a book.
I'm a bookworm!
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I read the first book, but I wasn't a fan of the remaining novels. I didn't like the movie very much.

Did anyone else feel like the movie producers destroyed the last Harry Potter movie? What was up with that final fight scene?!
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Karlos wrote:I always have problems watching movie based on a book I read. Literature allow me to understand what the author truly meant, and by his work, I am able to use my imagination to see the world he created. The movie not only cuts parts or modifies something, but forces me to see director's suggestive point of view. That's why it's hard to find a really good movie truly based on a book.
Well both forms of media have their own advantages and disadvantages. I always just go into book movies with tempered expectations.
Dubiousity wrote: But if you read the books you can use your imagination!
I'd rather read something good. :P
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Beagle wrote:I read the first book, but I wasn't a fan of the remaining novels. I didn't like the movie very much.

Did anyone else feel like the movie producers destroyed the last Harry Potter movie? What was up with that final fight scene?!
They changed a good deal but I think they made good movies. The same goes for the 6th movie. The 5th was just pure butchery though.
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

:oops: i liked all these movies :(
Esquire Fox

Post by Esquire Fox »

Another medium that is worth mention: Audio Books.

I love audio books when they are done right. Reading books and watching films requires constant attention. You can't read a book without looking at the pages and you can't watch a movie without looking at the screen. Listening doesn't require as much focus, so I can multitask while listening to an audio book.

My favorite audio books are the ones for the Starcatchers series of books, which set a back story for Peter Pan and Captain Hook. They are done by the same man who did the Harry Potter audio books. He is absolutely fantastic at voicing the characters and giving them a unique personality.
- Esquire Fox

What do you mean that's not what the signature is for?
Radio Blue Heart

Harry Potter never appealed to me. I just could not get into it.

Speaking of film adaptations that don't stick to the source material and suck, I was disappointed and mad at the "I Am Legend".

The novel "I Am Legend" is one of the best horror novels ever written. They basically just used the title and turned it into a vehicle for Will Smith to show off his "magnificence".

Gripe #1: The monsters in the novel were not screaming mutant things like from "28 Days Later". They were vampires. Like the title of the book implies, this book is about legends and the sources behind them. It is about rationalizing vampirism. The virus in the novel is one that has been with human kind for thousands of years, occurring in isolated incidents. The virus mutates to become more communicable. The protagonist of the novel goes through every legend concerning vampires and finds out why they work. Stakes cause massive organ damage that cannot be regenerated. Garlic causes allergic reactions. Sunlight poisons them. And, religious iconography causes hysterical blindness.

Gripe #2: The dog. It was nice that they gave him a Mad Max-style little buddy, but it defeats the isolation and paranoia of the book. The novel is about a man and his crushing loneliness. He finds a dog, but it is skiddish and shell shocked from running from the vampires, so Neville can't go anywhere near it. But, in a world where he has no one, that dog becomes the center of his universe. And, when it dies, he loses that much more hope.

Gripe #3: The ending. In the film, Neville finds a cure and becomes the new messiah for the survivors. Yet another way for Will Smith to pat himself on the back. The novel ends when Neville discovers that their are people who are infected with the vampire virus but keep it in remission with the use of drugs. During the day, when Neville hunts and stakes the vampires, he has been killing them too! And these people come after him to kill him. Before he dies, Neville realizes that in a world populated by vampires, the last human is the monster! He is the horrible thing that comes to kill them in their sleep. A creature that parents will tell their children will come and get them if they misbehave. He has become the thing of nightmares that will live on in stories. He is the new LEGEND. So they missed the point entirely to put a crappy happy ending on it.

There have been two other film versions. "The Omega Man" was as stupid and off point as the Will Smith film. The first time it was adaptation was "The Last Man On Earth" with Vincent Price. It has its flaws but it is the best adaptation,
-Virgil
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Esquire Fox wrote:Another medium that is worth mention: Audio Books.

I love audio books when they are done right. Reading books and watching films requires constant attention. You can't read a book without looking at the pages and you can't watch a movie without looking at the screen. Listening doesn't require as much focus, so I can multitask while listening to an audio book.

My favorite audio books are the ones for the Starcatchers series of books, which set a back story for Peter Pan and Captain Hook. They are done by the same man who did the Harry Potter audio books. He is absolutely fantastic at voicing the characters and giving them a unique personality.
Sleeeeeeeeet, this random fox wandered into this thread and told me that he's a fan of Peter and the Starcatchers, one of my favorite books. Can we keep him? I'll brush his fur every night and be really good to him and- *shot*

No, seriously, I read that book a few years ago and I still own a copy of it.

My friend's dad is all over audio books. I get the shivers at the smell of a brand new book and fresh pages, though. Although I'm slowly starting to read the classics on my iPod Touch every now and again.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Beagle wrote:Sleeeeeeeeet, this random fox wandered into this thread and told me that he's a fan of Peter and the Starcatchers, one of my favorite books. Can we keep him?
Absolutely not. Foxes spread disease. :P
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Sleet wrote:
Beagle wrote:Sleeeeeeeeet, this random fox wandered into this thread and told me that he's a fan of Peter and the Starcatchers, one of my favorite books. Can we keep him?
Are you wearing a hazard suit then, good sir? :P
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

Bu-but.. I don't spread diseases! D:
Sent from my conifer.
Liam

Post by Liam »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:Gripe #3: The ending.
They actually shot an ending that's faithful to the novel's, but it was changed at the last minute because the suits thought their audience was braindead and would leave the theaters in flocks or something.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Sleet wrote:
plus they smell funny and bring down property values.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

I swear I shower every day.
Sent from my conifer.
Radio Blue Heart

Seth wrote:
Sleet wrote:
plus they smell funny and bring down property values.
And they eat the neighbor's chickens... and the neighbors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oktUNoKCnmM
Liam wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:Gripe #3: The ending.
They actually shot an ending that's faithful to the novel's, but it was changed at the last minute because the suits thought their audience was braindead and would leave the theaters in flocks or something.
Once again, Hollywood messes everything up! Its a horror film! It does not need a happy ending!
-Virgil
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

You people should feel ashamed of yourselves; we've actually got a senior member coming back here, and you all are scaring him off. :P

It's okay my foxy friends! I still like you two!

*squirts Sleet with a water bottle and runs away giggling* Who smells funny now? :P
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

Hey guys, I got around the profanity filter! Watch! Bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep, also, sorry for the bad joke
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Sooooo...

You know you take your badminton way too seriously when your right leg has been hurting all day because of playing it too hard in gym.

It was worth it though. We ended up winning the final game on the King's court.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

Orange soda for everyone!
Sent from my conifer.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

JeffCvt wrote:Sooooo...

You know you take your badminton way too seriously when your right leg has been hurting all day because of playing it too hard in gym.

Badmitton: Serious business
Beagle wrote:
*squirts Sleet with a water bottle and runs away giggling* Who smells funny now? :P
great now it smells like wet fox..............
Radio Blue Heart wrote: Once again, Hollywood messes everything up! Its a horror film! It does not need a happy ending!
I feel your pain. I wish the mainstream movie industry had the (geez what's a pg way to say this........) manly fortitutde to rip the audience's guts out every so often. Some movies are just more powerful with a bleak ending (American psycho comes to mind)
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
McFly

Post by McFly »

I'm not a huge fan of racquet sports. Whenever I go up to hit the ball/shuttlecock, I usually end up missing. And when I do hit it, it usually ends up out of bounds.

In other words, I suck. :P
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

I like badminton, not big on tennis, but I have fun at it.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

When you mention bleak ending, I think of Woody Allen.
Sent from my conifer.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

McFly wrote:

I'm not a huge fan of racquet sports. Whenever I go up to hit the ball/shuttlecock, I usually end up missing. And when I do hit it, it usually ends up out of bounds.

In other words, I suck. :P
Well what's your point?
I suck at hockey and I've played that my whole life.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz