Chat Thread 38: You Guys Are Old

Putting dead threads to bed, Jed

Moderator: ArcWolf

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: Chat Thread 38: You Guys Are Old

Post by Sleet »

*beats The Mobian with a My Little Pony doll*

Congrats on graduating nonetheless! Whenever it was you did it.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Sleet wrote:*beats The Mobian with a My Little Pony doll*
That just seems...
Wrong.

Oh well, back to school.
I actually like mine a lot and am going to miss it when I go. And not just because of my friends, but the teachers, the goofy layout, everything.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

TheMobian wrote:*Flys through window at mach 10*
ITS BUMBLEKING HOUSEPETS TIME!!!
ow, ouch, yow, stupid glass...
:shock:
Where did you get your super powers?!
tell me...
Panda Panda Panda
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

TheMobian wrote: and let you guys all beat me down with a dead horse.
Do we each need a dead horse or are we sharing one?
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

I dunno how I feel about sharing a dead horse with you people.
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Lousy fox keeping all the goodies for himself!
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That's scavengers for ya!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
FritzyBeat

Post by FritzyBeat »

Sleet wrote:*beats The Mobian with a My Little Pony doll*
But... But... Friendship is MAGIC :cry:
Sleet wrote:Congrats on graduating nonetheless! Whenever it was you did it.
This year. I'm now going into my first winter of no school since I was but a wee little child. Man it feels good!
...now to find a job...
Punchy wrote:
TheMobian wrote:*Flys through window at mach 10*
ITS BUMBLEKING HOUSEPETS TIME!!!
ow, ouch, yow, stupid glass...
:shock:
Where did you get your super powers?!
tell me...
But of course. I called upon the mighty powers of the almighty Ian Flyyn (misspelling intentional), and he replyed by sending me a profit in the form of "Dub", King of the Nerbs. He then blessed me with his Royal Off-Panel and sent me and the Speedy detective on a quest to retrieve the Golden Pineapple from the clutches of the Yetti! After scalling Mt. Everest and beating down the Yetti with nothing but a stick made of Fanta bottles. I retrieved the Golden Pineapple and brought it back to the Nerb King Dub, who then "dubed" me Mr. Fanta-stick and I was gifted with the power to direct attention to myself by flying through random windows at Mach 10 screaming profanities.

Whats YOUR power? 8-)
Fino is coming, and he's bringing moon pizza.
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

So, I am thinking of auditioning for my school's play, I dunno, I'd just have a lot of fun with it.

In other news, I love my English class
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Sleet wrote:That's scavengers for ya!
What else could I do! But ew, germs sharing with you people. Nope.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:So, I am thinking of auditioning for my school's play, I dunno, I'd just have a lot of fun with it.
Then do it. Why not?
TheMobian wrote: Whats YOUR power? 8-)
I fell into a vat of toxic waste while listening to Andrew W.K. I now have the power to Get parties started!!!
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
The Grey Wolverine

Because its a musical.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Well regardless if you think it'll be fun try it. Can't hurt.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
The Grey Wolverine

Its actually because of my narrow vocal range, I don't think I would be very good for it
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Sing along with music in your car. It really helps stretch your range.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

drink chemicals until you get super vocal powers!
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

I always wanted to at least audition for the school musical but every time auditions came around I never found out about them until like, two days after they'd happened when they started recruiting the backstage crew. I got on that a couple of times. It was fun and the musical was good even from inside a giant steel frame made out to look like a skyline from one side and a church window from another (oh gosh...spinning that thing...horrible...).

EDIT: Ooh! Won't get a chance to say this for another year. Today is national "R U OK?" day here in Australia when we're encouraged to ask friends and family if they're okay to help people with depression that goes unnoticed.

So, Housepets! forum people, are you okay? :)
Feel like you need a friend? I'm happy to talk anytime! :D

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Currently working on: "The Warriors" Book
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Sleet wrote:Sing along with music in your car. It really helps stretch your range.
This is true. I was in the school's chorus for three years, and for the two years between middle school and not having a license, I lost a lot of my vocal range. Now because I sing in my car almost every time I drive, I gained a lot of my range back.

*Hugs Nyaliva* TWLOHA day was this week as well. :3
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

While singing in the car can certainly be helpful, if you don't have much experience singing, I'd recommend against just belting as loudly as you can. You'll just blow your voice out that way and won't have any voice left to actually practice. Practice singing as softly as you can, making sure you're hitting the notes properly; the power will come much more easily once you've learned to control your voice in that range.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

Beagle wrote:
Sleet wrote:Sing along with music in your car. It really helps stretch your range.
This is true. I was in the school's chorus for three years, and for the two years between middle school and not having a license, I lost a lot of my vocal range. Now because I sing in my car almost every time I drive, I gained a lot of my range back.

*Hugs Nyaliva* TWLOHA day was this week as well. :3
*Hugs Beagle back* Oh cool, I didn't know that. It's good how they put them around the same time, helps people on forums like this get more involved with others around the world.

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

KJOokami wrote:While singing in the car can certainly be helpful, if you don't have much experience singing, I'd recommend against just belting as loudly as you can. You'll just blow your voice out that way and won't have any voice left to actually practice. Practice singing as softly as you can, making sure you're hitting the notes properly; the power will come much more easily once you've learned to control your voice in that range.
This is true as well, except do try to sing just a little bit louder when hitting higher notes, if you have a deeper voice. As a true alto, I know I can't hit hardly anything unless I sing a little bit louder. I don't know how sopranos or middle altos fair though, so it might be different.

Yeah, it's pretty cool how we can all help people in different parts of the world at the same time, isn't it, Ny? *high fives*
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Beagle wrote:
KJOokami wrote:While singing in the car can certainly be helpful, if you don't have much experience singing, I'd recommend against just belting as loudly as you can. You'll just blow your voice out that way and won't have any voice left to actually practice. Practice singing as softly as you can, making sure you're hitting the notes properly; the power will come much more easily once you've learned to control your voice in that range.
This is true as well, except do try to sing just a little bit louder when hitting higher notes, if you have a deeper voice. As a true alto, I know I can't hit hardly anything unless I sing a little bit louder. I don't know how sopranos or middle altos fair though, so it might be different.

Yeah, it's pretty cool how we can all help people in different parts of the world at the same time, isn't it, Ny? *high fives*
That's because there's never a good time to take your own life. So we have to work hard to make sure nobody does. :3
FritzyBeat

Post by FritzyBeat »

Nice point out there KJOokami.
Though I've been singing all my life and it doesn't really apply to me, it is best to start singing really softly and focus in on improving the minor basics. Though as you improve, your going to eventually have to learn to belt out your lyrics. A song needs to have a certain tone of energy to it, whether its a slow song of a fast song, and belting out your lyrics is what really gives it that energy, especially when your singing it live.
One of the best examples of this is to listen to one of Owl City's old songs, and then switch over to one of his new songs. In the older songs he was singing much more scilently, and refraining from using his voice to its full potential. But as he went on, he began putting a little more umph into his lyrics, and really belting them out over time. In the end he still retains his same voice and the same sound, but theres so much more life in his newer songs now.

Old Owl City song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyvCH26x ... re=related
New Owl City song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7KMRBoqQUg

Hear the difference?
Fino is coming, and he's bringing moon pizza.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Nyaliva wrote:
So, Housepets! forum people, are you okay? :)
Well I'm a bit sleep deprived but overall yeah.
And in the spirit of the day I hope Australia is treating you well and you are at the very least ok good sir.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm feelin' a little sad at the moment but I'm more than okay enough. :3
The Grey Wolverine

I am trying to restrain myself from destroying my brother's Jeep. He is a moron, so it could be pretty easy.
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

I'm very, very tired, and I still have work and taekwondo and probably some homework to do before I can rest.
MapleRatty

Post by MapleRatty »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:I am trying to restrain myself from destroying my brother's Jeep. He is a moron, so it could be pretty easy.
...I feel sorry for brothers car :mrgreen: :lol:

Im pretty okay, cant complain :)
The Grey Wolverine

Oh, don't feel bad for the car, He and his stuff will deserve anything I do to them.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

But... The car didn't do anything wrong, right?

Oh well. It's not like it has feelings or anything.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

TheMobian wrote:Though as you improve, your going to eventually have to learn to belt out your lyrics. A song needs to have a certain tone of energy to it, whether its a slow song of a fast song, and belting out your lyrics is what really gives it that energy, especially when your singing it live.
Oh, absolutely. I didn't mean to imply you should never go all out and belt for real. Depending on the song, that's actually the best way to go; just hit the notes as hard as you can.

I just meant that when it comes to getting your voice properly warmed up and working to extend your range (especially for Broadway-esque musical numbers), you're just gonna wear your voice out if you try to belt all of the high notes. The trick is finding a nice blend between the two, that being your mixed register, but it's a lot less strenuous on the vocal chords to start softly and work the power into your voice as you go than if you try to belt it and then pull back. That's why rock concerts are so bad for your voice; since everything is so loud, you end up screaming the vocals as loudly as you can without realizing it. The same thing happens in a car if you just pump up the volume and belt your lungs out.
TheMobian wrote:Hear the difference?
Whoa. I have never heard him sound like that before. He actually sounded like a completely different person on a few of those notes in the chorus. He's always been more about the reserved, feel-good type music where the vocals don't need to be particularly strong, but he even had a little of that rockstar gruffness to his voice in the second song.

I may have to check out more of his new stuff.
Beagle wrote:This is true as well, except do try to sing just a little bit louder when hitting higher notes, if you have a deeper voice. As a true alto, I know I can't hit hardly anything unless I sing a little bit louder. I don't know how sopranos or middle altos fair though, so it might be different.
The trick is to blend your head voice with your chest voice to get a lighter sound on the higher notes. I know for me, personally, when I do my scales on the piano to warm up I usually can't get past an E4 before my voice starts getting gravelly and cracking, and it takes a lot of effort to boot. But when I take the notes softer to start, I can easily get up to the G4 with little to no strain whatsoever. Then once my voice is warmed up and I've sufficiently hit all of the notes softly I can revisit them and add some resonance to them, and that's what really gets the sound to project.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

Seth wrote:
Nyaliva wrote:So, Housepets! forum people, are you okay? :)
Well I'm a bit sleep deprived but overall yeah.
And in the spirit of the day I hope Australia is treating you well and you are at the very least ok good sir.
I'm very well, thanks Seth! The weather's pretty good at the moment, the perfect transition point between the cold end of spring and the warm end. And I just finished a big block of assessment so I'm feeling a nice release (I'm in the middle of the semester atm).
Sleet wrote:I'm feelin' a little sad at the moment but I'm more than okay enough. :3
Aww, don't be sad Sleet! I want to ask why but I don't want to pry... :S I suppose a hug will have to do. :D *Hugs Sleet*
The Grey Wolverine wrote:I am trying to restrain myself from destroying my brother's Jeep. He is a moron, so it could be pretty easy.
That's...good? :S Just don't hurt anyone, although from what I've read, you wouldn't want to do this without a good reason.
Tha Housefox wrote:I'm very, very tired, and I still have work and taekwondo and probably some homework to do before I can rest.
That sucks. The best thing I find is acting on one thing at a time and trusting that time will move on. ;) Also, NO ENERGY DRINKS! They're mildly stimulating physically but do nothing for improving mental performance and frankly, the amount of sugar isn't worth the small amount of stimulants.
Otaku-Boy wrote:Im pretty okay, cant complain :)
That's good! :) Be sure to let me know if things get bad though. That applies to everyone, it's probably just the day but I'm super fired up about helping people! :D

I'm on DeviantArt now!
JakJak

Post by JakJak »

TheMobian wrote:Complanin' bout' school eh?
Well, I guess I COULD complain along with you all, but insted, I'm just going to say "haha I'm graduated!" and let you guys all beat me down with a dead horse.
I graduated back in June! I like your avatar too! *High Five*
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

They need to make weekend 1 day longer. There's always too much fun stuff going on and too little time to do it :cry:
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
The Grey Wolverine

Hey guys, I got the option to get a class ring from school as its my senior year, should I? If I do, my cap and gown are free. Also, I'm trying to think of a senior quote, any ideas?
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Get a class ring they're pretty cool. I mean you only graduate once might as well go all out.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:Hey guys, I got the option to get a class ring from school as its my senior year, should I? If I do, my cap and gown are free. Also, I'm trying to think of a senior quote, any ideas?
Normally, I'd say it's pointless. However, if you're getting your cap and gown with it for free, go for it, man.
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Get a class ring if the class ring costs less than the cap and gown combined.

I have dysthymia but it's okay since I've had it for years now. I'm used to it. It's become a part of my personality.
The Grey Wolverine

Well, its $50 down on the ring, and the price of the ring will vary
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Buy the cheapest ring? If it costs less than the cap and gown I mean... Save money.