Whos.amung.us tracker to collect various stats of viewers?

Putting dead threads to bed, Jed

Moderator: ArcWolf

ReCreate

Whos.amung.us tracker to collect various stats of viewers?

Post by ReCreate »

Hello. I have an idea to throw out here.
It is to add a whosamungus tracker to the forums. To be able to collect some stats from our viewers/members. Such as geographical location of their ISP/Proxy.(by city, and it's not personally identifiable). This allows for various maps to visualize the people who attend these forums. Such as cluster maps, and heat ones. Too. It's available freely, and in an obscure widget that is safe. All that is needed is to insert a bit of HTML into any portion of the template for every page.
(and it also shows the number of users online, but that's not necessary)

http://whos.amung.us/stats/ This is the link to the statistics page for their website. A good example of what kind of information we could all see.

What do you think? Would you agree that viewing a cluster/heat map to visualize where visitors come (that is available publicly) from would be interesting? Is it a good idea?

Edit: If the idea is reasonable enough. Possibly this could be made into a poll to see what the majority of the forum members think?
Don't let others define you, Only you can determine your fate
no longer active, sorry
Beagle

Re: Whos.amung.us tracker to collect various stats of viewer

Post by Beagle »

Heck no! I don't want something that tracks my exact location/city/whatever. I come from a tiny, small town, not New York City where it's impossible to find someone. I'm a 16 year old girl, and it would violate my privacy BEYOND words to have my location mapped for the entire world to see. I also know several other members who would feel violated by this. We already have a location option available in our profiles, and I feel like that's the farthest we need to go. The internet is not always full of nice, friendly people that only have good intentions.
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Re: Whos.amung.us tracker to collect various stats of viewer

Post by rickgriffin »

Absolutely not
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers