Housepets! IRC: [Rules update again]

Putting dead threads to bed, Jed

Moderator: ArcWolf

Foldo

Re: Housepets! IRC: [PLEASE READ, RULES UPDATE]

Post by Foldo »

I think the ports to chat and IRC in the student rooms are blocked.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Awww :( I can't help you with that one. Sorry, but you'll have to wait until you get back home.
Richarson Valley
Edward S4 P8 E6 C8 I9 A3 L5
Shanks S7 P5 E6 C7 I4 A6 L7

zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

Foldo, many college and university campuses block the IRC port 6667. To get around this you can use Mibbit (like I and Devils do) or you can set up a redirect proxy from your home (If there's a spare computer always on). Those are basically your two options if the port or protocol is getting blocked.
* My Steam Account * My DA (writing) *
"They say misery loves company, ain't there something else we can share. Are you still there? Do you still care? That's all I really need to know." - Kansas - Need to Know
ReCreate

Post by ReCreate »

So. I moved that lightirc client I was hosting on my old host to my new one.
http://rc.solirax.org/hpirc/
Now with less characters in the URL! :P Nice and short.(er)
(if anyone is wondering, this is like mibbit, but simpler and easier to use. no need to enter in any addresses or anything)
Don't let others define you, Only you can determine your fate
no longer active, sorry
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

Hey, everyone? I'd like to mention something. It's quite true that furries can be much more touchy-feely than most people, and are not afraid to show it, not EVERYONE is entirely comfortable with such things.

...Most of the cuddling and licking and stuff...as Pencil pointed out, makes us look really, really, really furry. It's awkward for the non-furries, and can make some groups of people look exclusive, and hard to approach as well. This can be ESPECIALLY awkward for first time joiners, and can really scare people away. It would be nice, if we could avoid that...

Glomping, hugging, and such stuff are okay. Intimate displays of affection should be avoided. It's much like how people can get very awkward or uncomfortable around a couple that is kissing or snuggling in, say, an open park.

I know it's fun, but, really, when a conversation is going, and someone suddenly buries their face in someone else's chestfur...well that's a bit awkward. This all has been going on for a while, but recently, it's become overbearing, and that's not okay, alright?

Just keep it to a minimum, okay everyone?

(This note only applies to the main chatroom, #Housepets. Snuggle rules for the RP rooms will vary by room, as, invariably, some RP's will involve snuggling.)
Retired RP Character List (Sorry guys)
Richardson Valley: Venison and Ochen
Brookshire Meadows: Trinket
Oasis Towers: Jaxeh and Klack
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

With what Buck said, I would like to apologize as it seems I was only encouraging the behavior over the past week when I shouldn't have, and I agree it has become a bit overbearing.

If you have the need to be all lover and affectionate with someone, feel free to do so via PM, but PLEASE keep it to a minimum on the main chat.
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Does this problem apply to the forum as well? I try to keep furry-isms to a reasonable level, but maybe that level needs to be lower? I'm not on the IRC much so I don't really know exactly how bad it is there compared to here.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

I am having trouble connecting to the IRC, I followed the link (the one for those who can't download) and I can to a page asking for a Nickname and I typed one in. After it connected I came to a blank page so what do I do next?
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

If you can write something at the bottom, type /join #Housepets

If not, I don't know what, check your connection.
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

I found the command bar at the bottom of the blank page but nothing happens when I type it in, I need a enter button on the screen for it to work, is there anyway to get around that?
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

The problem was mainly on the IRC, the forums don't have this problem.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Cool, gotcha.

...*cuddles*
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

Sleet wrote:Cool, gotcha.

...*cuddles*
The stabbing is hard to be stopping.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Huh?
Alex

Post by Alex »

MilesKingford wrote:I found the command bar at the bottom of the blank page but nothing happens when I type it in, I need a enter button on the screen for it to work, is there anyway to get around that?
I don't really understand what's the matter. If you could describe your problem with more details, then someone might be able to help you.
Richarson Valley

MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

It doesn't matter anymore, I was just curious about it but I would not be able to go on it anymore than once a week so its rather pointless for me to go to the IRC.
exranio

Post by exranio »

Becuase i'm to lazy to look through all the pages to check if this has already been asked.

Can i go into a roleplay chat to only observe

Although I'm pretty sure it won't actually be that entertaining
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

exranio wrote:Becuase i'm to lazy to look through all the pages to check if this has already been asked.

Can i go into a roleplay chat to only observe

Although I'm pretty sure it won't actually be that entertaining
Of course.

Not like they're used as much these days though.
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

Because some people don't seem to entirely get the picture of my last important post, I will soon be making that a Minor Rule and more specifically define what you are and are not allowed to do. Because some people either

A) Don't read the rules and updates (ignorance is no excuse for the law) and
B) some people like to make "smart" comments.

Yes, I did wait a couple of days to say this so that people wouldn't know who to point fingers at. Don't you love how one person can spoil it for everyone else? Ah well, that's how it goes. Expect the minor rules to be added to in the next couple of days.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

I'm not sure HOW many times I had to explain it myself.
devils

Post by devils »

umm the chat isn't working anymore

Found

The document has moved here.
Apache/2.2.14 (Ubuntu) Server at widget.mibbit.com Port 80

that's what it says
Cinder:S:5 P:6 E:3 C:5 I:8 A:7 L:2
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I got that error message earlier in the day, but have subsequently been in the room. *shrugs*

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Alex

Post by Alex »

It works for me. You should try another IRC program. Try Chatzilla or mIRC, or try directly over the web-browser. There are a lot of options.
Richarson Valley

yoyodude

Post by yoyodude »

Horray I finally found out that I can use the IRC from my Wii with Mibbit becasue I found out how to make the "send" button show up!

One little victory for today...
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Have fun keeping up on the IRC without a keyboard!

Unless you figured out how to get a keyboard to work with the Wii. Which would be cool.
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Sleet wrote:Have fun keeping up on the IRC without a keyboard!

Unless you figured out how to get a keyboard to work with the Wii. Which would be cool.
You can buy USB Keyboards for the Wii.
yoyodude

Post by yoyodude »

I actually do have a keyboard ;)

One question: It seems like whenever I enter a channel, I'm the only one who shows up on the user list. It's like I'm alone in the room even though I'm sure there SHOULD be people showing up. Do you think I'm having a problem connecting or something? I checked a channel that I know is usually active and I was the only one showing up :P . Sorry I don't know much about IRC.
dalonewolf25
Location: Somewhere in Pretoria, South Africa, where tiny colorful horses reside.

Post by dalonewolf25 »

yoyodude wrote:I actually do have a keyboard ;)

One question: It seems like whenever I enter a channel, I'm the only one who shows up on the user list. It's like I'm alone in the room even though I'm sure there SHOULD be people showing up. Do you think I'm having a problem connecting or something? I checked a channel that I know is usually active and I was the only one showing up :P . Sorry I don't know much about IRC.
The #Housepets IRC is in GameSurge server...are you using mIRC?
Everyone has a story. What's yours?~
FancySkunk

Post by FancySkunk »

Buckdida wrote:...Most of the cuddling and licking and stuff...as Pencil pointed out, makes us look really, really, really furry. It's awkward for the non-furries, and can make some groups of people look exclusive, and hard to approach as well. This can be ESPECIALLY awkward for first time joiners, and can really scare people away. It would be nice, if we could avoid that...

Glomping, hugging, and such stuff are okay. Intimate displays of affection should be avoided. It's much like how people can get very awkward or uncomfortable around a couple that is kissing or snuggling in, say, an open park.
I have a counterpoint to this. I agree that there needs to be a line; however it does seem to have been drawn a bit on the stricter side. Things need to be done on a case by case basis. You can't say that a line like "UserA licks UserB" is automatically alienating to a newcomer, nor can you say that a quick "UserC snuggles with UserD" is. I agree that a lengthy RP in-channel is alienating, but neither of those lines should constitute that.

I believe that with proper moderating the channel could function without as strict of a ban. The key would be active discouragement of things as they get out of hand as opposed to just banning things which might get out of hand. Now, by that same token, the users need to recognize that there is a line, and do their best not to cross it. Perhaps that is a bit too much to ask. I'm coming from the perspective of a newer user, so I don't know everything, but I assume that we're all reasonable people and can keep things respectable.
Skunks make good pets too, you know. :3
To heavily edit Brian Setzer, "Striped skunk strut, I'm a ladies skunk, a musky Cassonova, man I ain't no punk!"

Avatar by OfficerBadger on FurAffinity (Uncropped)
yoyodude

Post by yoyodude »

dalonewolf25 wrote: The #Housepets IRC is in GameSurge server
Aha! THAT'S what I was missing! Jeez IRC is too complex for me :P
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

FancySkunk wrote:
Buckdida wrote:...Most of the cuddling and licking and stuff...as Pencil pointed out, makes us look really, really, really furry. It's awkward for the non-furries, and can make some groups of people look exclusive, and hard to approach as well. This can be ESPECIALLY awkward for first time joiners, and can really scare people away. It would be nice, if we could avoid that...

I have a counterpoint to this. I agree that there needs to be a line; however it does seem to have been drawn a bit on the stricter side. Things need to be done on a case by case basis. You can't say that a line like "UserA licks UserB" is automatically alienating to a newcomer, nor can you say that a quick "UserC snuggles with UserD" is. I agree that a lengthy RP in-channel is alienating, but neither of those lines should constitute that.

I believe that with proper moderating the channel could function without as strict of a ban. The key would be active discouragement of things as they get out of hand as opposed to just banning things which might get out of hand. Now, by that same token, the users need to recognize that there is a line, and do their best not to cross it. Perhaps that is a bit too much to ask. I'm coming from the perspective of a newer user, so I don't know everything, but I assume that we're all reasonable people and can keep things respectable.
I'm pretty sure it's not a zero-tolerance policy. I think if someone manages to find a context in which it's OK to type /Sleet snuggles with FancySkunk without being weird and off-putting, no one is going to mind, but as a general rule that stuff should be avoided.

That's my guess anyway. I didn't make the rule.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Eh... You guys misunderstood that rule somehow. It's not zero tolerance, you guys can do stuff like that, but occasionally, it happens that we have a wall of such things. That is what we want to avoid. Don't exaggerate.
Richarson Valley

FancySkunk

Post by FancySkunk »

Alex wrote:Eh... You guys misunderstood that rule somehow. It's not zero tolerance, you guys can do stuff like that, but occasionally, it happens that we have a wall of such things. That is what we want to avoid. Don't exaggerate.
My questioning of the rule was based off of how the rule was explained to me, which was as a zero tolerance "you absolutely cannot do this; this is a line in the sand" manner.
Skunks make good pets too, you know. :3
To heavily edit Brian Setzer, "Striped skunk strut, I'm a ladies skunk, a musky Cassonova, man I ain't no punk!"

Avatar by OfficerBadger on FurAffinity (Uncropped)
MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

Tha Housedog wrote:

I knew you could get keyboards for the Wii! I asked a guy at a Game shop once and they said there was no such thing as keyboards for the Wii.
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

MilesKingford wrote:
Tha Housedog wrote:

I knew you could get keyboards for the Wii! I asked a guy at a Game shop once and they said there was no such thing as keyboards for the Wii.
They're, what, 20 dollars at Best Buy in the States?
So however much that is in Euros is what it should cost over there in Britain.
yoyodude

Post by yoyodude »

Just plug any 'ol USB keyboard into the USB port on the back of the Wii and it works. You still have to go to the "Keyboard Screen" though :(
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

Okay. I'm going to attempt to put this as clearly as possible in a way that everyone can understand.

If you'd see it happening while taking a walk through a public park, or it it's just clean, funny RP stuff (like sitting on someone's head, glomping, etc.) then it's fine.

If it sounds like a cheesy intro to a low budget adult movie (such as eating food off somebody's chest or over the top snuggling) then it's not okay.

Can you see what I want to avoid? Yes, a lot of us are furries. Yes, a lot of us are quite close knit. No, this does not mean you can use a public chatroom for private-like things. I don't care if "you know what the limits are," I know that it's FAR too easy to cross that limit unintentionally. I'm sorry. Trust me when I say I do things for a good reason, please.

I hope this explains the snuggle rule well enough.

Now. In order to avoid drama happenings in the IRC, if you would like to discuss a rule with a moderator, please do it in IRC PM's. If you do not, you can be devoiced for a bit to shut you up, especially if you start to anger or annoy other users. Seriously, this in particular is getting really, really annoying, not only for me, but for other mods as well.

In addition, do not argue with another user about the rules. If another user is causing problems, just start IRC PM'ing mods until one responds. If that fails, keep in mind, I have AIM, Steam, MsN, so if I'm at my computer you can find me. If you're using a chat client (rather than mibbit), and no mod is present, you likely then have logs that can prove if someone was causing trouble.

Next, don't threaten to make your own chatroom if you don't agree with the rules. This is just annoying, it won't change the rules, trust me when I say you aren't the first to threaten to do so, and you're not being clever, you're just being a pain in the side. If you're gonna do it, then do it or shut up; don't make drama for us to deal with. You bring up something like this, I will kick you, because I've really had enough of it. If you do make your own chatroom, keep in mind major rule #7, got it?

That being said, there is nothing wrong with other chatrooms; just don't be stupid about them in regards to ours, for example, naming it like a Pet Friendly room, or calling it "a truly unofficial Houspets" IRC or something annoying like that. I will swat your behind with a hammer for something like that.

Also, mind that really severe, bad, un-ignorable behavior in the IRC... can net punishments on the forums, such as warnings, or in rare cases, bans. This was mentioned before by Ebly, but I'm restating it now.

Yes, I am getting annoyed. Can you tell? I don't want to be so blunt about these things, but I'm starting to be forced to after certain things have come up time and time and time again...such as all three things in this post.

Now behave in there or I'll go all Foxstar on your tails/behinds/donkeys. >_>
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

I am sorry, though many say it is not my fault, I feel much responsible for what has been going on. (I also don't know if it was a good idea to say this, delete it if you have to. :< )
Alex

Post by Alex »

No, don't apologize. I don't really know what happened and why you feel guilty, but what's in the past is in the past. I am ready to forget most of your guys' minor rule breaking, but I won't forget some stuff, and I won't mention names.
Richarson Valley

Medli

Post by Medli »

IRC won´t let me in anymore.
Instead of saying "continue", the button says "Exit" when it reminds me of the expired evaluation >.<
<+Vaddie> ... WHY AM I A GIRL ON FIRE WEARING 30 PAIRS OF PANTS ALL OF A SUDDEN
* +SickDynar is like the fountain of youth, except with drool instead of youth.
Aah, I LOVE quotes :3