Housepets! IRC: [Rules update again]

Putting dead threads to bed, Jed

Moderator: ArcWolf

Medli

Re: Housepets! IRC: [Rules update again]

Post by Medli »

* You were kicked from #Housepets by SpamServ (Badword "*boob*" has been found in channel message.)
-
#Housepets unable to join channel (address is banned)
-
#Housepets unable to join channel (address is banned)
-

Seriously? "Boobytrap" was the word. Oh my.
In future, shall I say breastytrap?
Bosom trap?
Chesttrap?
Busttrap?
Pectoral trap? > - >
Last edited by Medli on Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
<+Vaddie> ... WHY AM I A GIRL ON FIRE WEARING 30 PAIRS OF PANTS ALL OF A SUDDEN
* +SickDynar is like the fountain of youth, except with drool instead of youth.
Aah, I LOVE quotes :3
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

OK, that word should probably be taken off the filter.

They say it in Hey Arnold! even. It can be said in a non-anatomical sense.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Alex

Post by Alex »

Sorry for not doing this earlier, guys. I removed the word "boob". I guess if it's allowed on the forums, it should be allowed in the chat, too.
Richarson Valley
Edward S4 P8 E6 C8 I9 A3 L5
Shanks S7 P5 E6 C7 I4 A6 L7

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

You should ask Rick for what words he has in his filter and just copy that list exactly.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Rojo Ninja

Post by Rojo Ninja »

The list has a limit on amount of words.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ReCreate

Post by ReCreate »

Earlier today some people were banned for saying something that contained the letters "their going over they're" (which is undeniably quite absurd), maybe the filter should at least be revised to ensure it only occurs when whole words of bad words are found, to prevent words within words from causing it to behave in an unwanted manner? Or all words should be removed, and only the most common should be added back in, as others can be in other words.(especially short ones)
Don't let others define you, Only you can determine your fate
no longer active, sorry
Alex

Post by Alex »

ReCreate wrote:Earlier today some people were banned for saying something that contained the letters "their going over they're" (which is undeniably quite absurd), maybe the filter should at least be revised to ensure it only occurs when whole words of bad words are found, to prevent words within words from causing it to behave in an unwanted manner? Or all words should be removed, and only the most common should be added back in, as others can be in other words.(especially short ones)
We tried that, it can't prevent banning for saying swear words within other words. We've removed everything that can be found in other words (For example the A word is removed because it can be found in "assume" and other words). However, while removing these short words, I never thought of any word that has "their going over they're" in it... so I didn't remove that one.
Richarson Valley

JakJak

Post by JakJak »

I got banned automatically for accidentally saying a swear :X
DismayWolf

Post by DismayWolf »

I downloaded the chat, and tried finding the room #Housepets, though there was no one in there......guess it doesnt help that it is three am where I am >.>;;

Though If I could get some clarification on how to even find the room exactly, that would e very much appreciated, thanks :)
ImageImageImage
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Per Alex, here's what you need to do to join the #Housepets IRC Channel.
For those unfamiliar with IRC, here's how you can join, using mIRC:

1. Download and install mIRC from http://www.mirc.com
2. Create an account on http://www.gamesurge.net (Optional)
3. Verify your email and take note of your password (Optional)
4. Run mIRC and type the following commands:

/server irc.gamesurge.net

Wait until you're connected to the server.

/authserv auth username password
(replacing "username" and "password" with your values, optional, if you registered above)

You should get an automatic response indicating "-AuthServ- I recognize you."

/join #Housepets

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
DismayWolf

Post by DismayWolf »

-glomps- THANKS PAL :D (it worked lol)
ImageImageImage
Alex

Post by Alex »

Everyone, Rojo has been promoted to a co-owner of the IRC channel. If you have any problems, complaints, or other questions regarding the IRC channel, feel free to contact him.
Richarson Valley

ReCreate

Post by ReCreate »

It has come to my attention that there seems to be some things wrong with the channel.
(10:39:05 PM) Milo: What Froox said.
(10:39:11 PM) Frooxius: ^
(10:39:15 PM) Milo: ^
(10:39:18 PM) Frooxius: ^
(10:39:19 PM) Rojo [~AndChat@2600:100f:b00a:803c::5:b9ce:6b01] entered the room.
(10:39:20 PM) ReCat: ^
(10:39:20 PM) Firewolf|Pokemon: Lemme check, I know hitmonchan
(10:39:20 PM) mode (+v Rojo) by ChanServ
(10:39:21 PM) Milo: ^
(10:39:24 PM) mode (+o Rojo) by ChanServ
(10:39:24 PM) Frooxius: ^
(10:39:26 PM) Frooxius: ^
(10:39:26 PM) mode (+b *!*@2002:474c:126d::226:e8ff:fee3:e6ec) by SpamServ
(10:39:26 PM) Milo left the room (Kicked by SpamServ (Flooding the channel with messages is against the channel rules.)).
(10:39:26 PM) mode (+b *!*@c-68-59-254-96.hsd1.tn.comcast.net) by SpamServ
(10:39:26 PM) You have been kicked by SpamServ: (Flooding the channel with messages is against the channel rules.)
Now, this error has been fixed by rojo. But it has brought up a problem that I think should be resolved for me. It isn't that the spam threshold should be increased. Though that is a problem. But not the primary one.

The primary one is that from what I see, the IRC is deviating away from what it should be. A community IRC. It should be community owned, maintained, and improved. Now, I'm not saying I should be a moderator (which I definitely should not be, to be honest.) or that the rules should be discarded or anything like that. What I'm saying is that the IRC seems to be getting off track, and is becoming generally bad. Some of the rules are sometimes quite absurdly strict (as many people have implied or otherwise agreed on) and in fact much more than that of the housepets forums rules that rick and/or other administrators have set in place. And, what personally annoys me the most, is that only a single private group of people (which seem to be much unlike the ones who moderate these forums) seem to decide these rules, allowing little to no room for suggestions to even be put into consideration! Now, once again. I am not saying that the rules are all wrong and that they should all be changed.

Now, Why is this bad? It's not. Except it is! Because due to this, There are now many rules about things that not many people really care about or agree with. Such as the spam threshold rule and similar ones associated. These result in an instantaneous ban of the person who triggered it. Or the rules about things relating to the rating of discussions and likely many other things. But, as implied by many moderators for many things, they are not to be changed by what the community suggests or requests. As they have phrased as "up for debate".

I think that the IRC has practically become an overly controlled jail as how members are treated like inmates, Disregarding any suggestions and improvements said to the leaders from them. Especially when a problem arises due to it. Now, yes, that is a hyperbole. But it is to emphasize my meaning of this.

Basically, What my point is. Is that the HP IRC has become too strict. Absurdly strict. There's a fine line between reasonably strict and absurdly strict, and it is entering the absurd levels. It has deviated away from what it should be. This needs to be addressed. Things need to be revised. Yes? I noticed that a lot of members show signs of thinking the same thing that I'm thinking, and others directly say similar things in PM's. It's kind of become a thing that everyone knows about, Yet nobody talks about. Something that's nowhere to be seen, because it is everywhere. I just thought that it's about time somebody throws this out here for you guys to discuss. There are some other problems that I may have not covered, and some that I know of but didn't cover. Mostly because it doesn't really directly cause me trouble. If you guys agree, Then they may be discussed here.

So, to end my message, what do you all think? Are these points reasonable and is there anything more to add if they are?

Note: It is possible that only long term and constant attendants will even remotely understand why I'm saying what I'm saying, so, please don't throw down subjective views on things and then disregard my words.

(also, if this should be made in a new thread, just tell me. it is a bit long)
That is all.
~Re
Edit: REVISION UPDATE
Don't let others define you, Only you can determine your fate
no longer active, sorry
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

I know my words probably count less in this matter, since I stay AFK from the IRC over half the time, but from the whole time I have noticed, the rules have not really been any bit more strict now than before, and when they are enforced, from what I can tell, they are pretty valid reasons. Maybe it is because of my like for rules, or my thoughts of what the IRC does, but I really do enjoy the rules we have now, and think they should stay.

The IRC should probably not be treated the same as the forums since how the IRC tends to act a lot more energetically or crazily. And the IRC tends to get away with a ton of stuff that even the forum does not to my knowledge. I really never see it as a jail, as people tend to express themselves in the fullest on the IRC because there is so much freedom to do so.

I guess I just do not understand why this is much of a problem, though again, maybe it is because I like rules being enforced. I know I have mentioned this in Private, but I really do not see much proof or descriptions on any of the problems you are mentioning, besides the glitches that SpamServ tends to have. But even then, the ban you get only lasts for an hour.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I just started working in the IRC recently, but nobody's approached me with suggestions. I daresay community feedback is important, but there are probably some things the channel owners will not back down on. It's probably a good idea for the rating of the IRC to be the same as the rating of the forums, for example. Aside from that, those in charge of the chat will probably hear and seriously consider any recommendations users have.

Alex

Post by Alex »

The reason why the rules seem strict is probably because of SpamServ, which tends to ban for absurd reasons. However, in order for an owner to fix that, we must know what the problem was. Now, I probably shouldn't be talking here, since I haven't visited IRC in a long time, being in college 14 hours daily. I'm sure that the moderators will listen to what you have to say.

On the other side, whatever you say, the rule about swearing will not be changed. You all know the reasons too well. For more than a year I've been trying to explain how one swear isn't considered breaking the rule, but I constantly got messaged by people saying that someone said a bad word. And then while I was in the IRC, one member swore (I won't tell any names), and the other has a freaking panic attack (Spamming the channel with nonsense, and then later writing in all caps the words "no swearing, no swearing"). That stupidity about swearing made me ban it forever. It is since than that the rules seem to strict.

Now, the moderators will listen to you. But there aren't really many of them. And the only ones who can change something are Rojo and me. Since I don't really have much time, Rojo will probably do most of the work. So have some feelings for him. Try to avoid private messages. Anything you think is too strict just post here about.

And finally, ever since the IRC exists, I've been hearing this "It should be community owned" nonsense. What do you mean by that? What do you want? You want everyone to be a moderator? You want no-one to be a moderator? Or do you want the channel to have no owner? Then we wouldn't have ChanServ and SpamServ, and unwanted guests could enter our chatroom, too. Or should everyone be an owner? I don't understand what you want, so if you can, explain it to me in detail.

EDIT: Apparently, I'm not the owner of the channel anymore. I believe Rojo still is, so any problems, suggestions, etc. talk to him.
Last edited by Alex on Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richarson Valley

CY_Law

Post by CY_Law »

It's around 1 and a half year since I joined the channel, within this time frame, the most I got is a temp. ban which caused by accidentally copy-pasting a video comment with a swear in it, and it's only that once. I'm pretty sure the rules might seem strict, but it's pretty easy at the same time to not get yourself de-voiced or banned at the same time. It's not like people are constantly finding loopholes in it, it's more like people don't need to.

Rules are dead, take it or leave it. I find it funny when people complain about the spam threshold when they themselves are spamming, worse is, they know they're spamming.

Rules are made to keep things in order, short and simple. If you think the channel should be community-owned, if the spamming annoys someone, it's very obvious some sort of "rules" will be implemented, official or not. Now back to the reality, it may satisfy you if people aren't constantly giving feedback or complaint about someone's behavior/action, but it would mess up the order, and then there'll be some part of the community that will be unhappy about it. On the other hand, if people are to do the opposite, then you'll get 2 results: 1) People with the "no mini-moding" responses, 2) People who just out right disagree with it, and then most likely, argument follows, and again, mess things up.

Next, the channel is not a jail as they're not forcing you to stay and look at it either, it works like that. However, I do slightly agree regarding the ignorance of suggestion and what not, for I myself have my own fair share of feedback and suggestion, *but* you'll have to make sure you're up to the standard to really make a feedback, this shouldn't, I repeat, this shouldn't be some suggestion for your personal benefit. I understand that some mods are just being busy, or "busy". I can't do much as a normal member, I generally frown upon it most of the time, as I said, I can't do anything about it.

For me, I'm not happy with the channel not because it becomes too strict, but because of the behavior of some of the members, we have our own opinion on it, some people would want some other people gone for good because they're annoying, while some would disagree with it, in the end, it's up to the mod and possibly the community as a whole to decide. Some people want someone gone because they break the rule, or because they're being a nuisance or because they're just being a jerk and what not, or even just outright did something that no one really wants them to be done in the channel itself.

That includes the topic of the conversations/discussions itself, you said that the channel has deviated from what it originally is, I would say the same, but for different reasons. If a majority just wants a conversation/discussion to end, then do so, if you're being ignorant/stubborn and talk back about it, sorry, majority trumps the minority, if you even dare to complain about it, don't be surprised if your opinion is ignored, don't blame the mod, you brought it to yourself.

Now, I myself have my own fair share of spamming history, typically what you always complaining on, now that the spamming threshold is here, as much as I don't enjoy the presence of Spamserv, again I said, I can't do anything about it, instead I was all like "meh, I'll work around it."

However, even though I have "questions" about *some* of the present mods, the rest of the mods are generally ok, not that I'm complaining, as long as the whole moderators system is not corrupted, I'm ok with it as long as my feedback still get through, hopefully.

I... have to say, I do noticed those who complained about the rules are the one breaking the rules most, no offense, but people get punished with reasons, if one can't get over it, they would be forced to, one way or another.

To summarize it up, I, along with some others I've talked to, doesn't seem to find what you're complaining about to make any valid point at the current situation given, like I said again and again, rules are dead, if you can't abide to it, then that's your problem. If someone was to constantly making the same offense, he/she has no right to complain about the rules either, instead, he/she is the problem itself.

If you think only a small part of the community seems to be the one "making the rules", then it's pretty much nonsense, if the view given, as personal as it might be, is a representation of that of the community's as a whole, then your point is pretty much invalid.

I try not to do any specific/personal attack on anyone here, or on the IRC. I'll leave it to the mods to figure the whole thing out, fingers crossed. All in all, my way of viewing the channel is, "trust the mods to do something, but don't trust the mods themselves."
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Due to the change in ownership, this thread has outlived its usefulness.

[ Thread Closed ]