No
25%
Yes
75%

Total votes: 348

Tatsuo

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by Tatsuo »

Argent wrote:I've used the character of Argent since about 1983, but I don't like cutesy neologisms like "fursona".
Oops sorry, didn't mean to offend. Still learning here=)

Edit: Oh and Sleet put me down as an Epic Dragon =D
We assume so much, and know so little...
“Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend." - Albert Camus.
Rico

Post by Rico »

Thanks Tatsuo for that definition, and sorry to the Mods and members for previous posts :oops:

So what are the primary differences between a fursona and an avatar. I would say offline and online differences, however can't a furry persona manifest itself as solely an online character? According to online sources, they are pretty much the same thing but an avatar is limited to a 'specific realm of experience'.
Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out yet, then it's not the end.

GeckoZY
Location: 16 Dimensions, 13th Hyperplane No. 47.54,3674.06,6378.13; Randomly travelling in between Hyperplanes

Post by GeckoZY »

Rico wrote:So what are the primary differences between a fursona and an avatar. I would say offline and online differences, however can't a furry persona manifest itself as solely an online character? According to online sources, they are pretty much the same thing but an avatar is limited to a 'specific realm of experience'.
I think avatars could be non-anthropomorphic or non-human (like having an image or logo as an avatar), unlike a fursona (or more generally persona) which are usually human or anthropomorphic. Or in much simpler terms, avatars could anything that represents you online while a persona (or fursona) is an alternative 'you' online or offline.
Want to split a pineapple?
Collaborative Fan-Fiction:
El Psy Congroo
Argent

Post by Argent »

No offense taken, ladies, gentlemen, dogs, and charming young women. I think the difference between an avatar and a fursona is simply how the person behind the mask chooses to identify it.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Rico

Post by Rico »

Thanks everyone and sorry to have taken this off topic somewhat. I think I can now safely say that although I'm not a full 'furry', I'd put myself in a semi-furry category due to my fursona! I would be looking to expand my horizons if there were any accessible conventions.

Husky wolf mix incase anyone was wondering *grins*
Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out yet, then it's not the end.

GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Argent wrote:No offense taken, ladies, gentlemen, dogs, and charming young women. I think the difference between an avatar and a fursona is simply how the person behind the mask chooses to identify it.
To me, at this point, a fursona is like a internet version of your personality in a animal. An Avatar would be more like what you want people to see you as. Therefore, i think avatars are more of a step beyond a fursona. That's not me saying Avatars are superior to fursonas, i just think fursonas are cute =P
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

GeckoZY wrote:I think avatars could be non-anthropomorphic or non-human (like having an image or logo as an avatar), unlike a fursona (or more generally persona) which are usually human or anthropomorphic. Or in much simpler terms, avatars could anything that represents you online while a persona (or fursona) is an alternative 'you' online or offline.
You are talking about an alias,not a persona.
Persona in the english language has different meanings than that.
Rico wrote:Thanks everyone and sorry to have taken this off topic somewhat. I think I can now safely say that although I'm not a full 'furry', I'd put myself in a semi-furry category due to my fursona! I would be looking to expand my horizons if there were any accessible conventions.
The rule is simple: If you are a fan of animals with human qualities, humans with animal qualities, or both, you are a furry fan.
Being accepting and part of the fandom as a whole is optional.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Tatsuo

Post by Tatsuo »

Hmm So you're saying, there's being a furry fan and then there's being a furry?
We assume so much, and know so little...
“Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend." - Albert Camus.
Rico

Post by Rico »

Ok, I'm getting all confuzzled again :D

Argent

Post by Argent »

Again, I think it comes down to self-identification. If you self-identify as a furry, then you are, if not, not.
zero

Post by zero »

why do people even make such a big deal out of it?
it doesn't seem any different from other hobbies so why do people care so much about it?
even I read about some lifestyle furries and what kind of stuff they are into or how they act I almost died from the Lolz.
hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

I'm obviously a cat.
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Tatsuo wrote:Hmm So you're saying, there's being a furry fan and then there's being a furry?
Okay, fine! There is the metaphorical furry (furry fan), and there is the literal furry (you know, things that are covered in fur?).
zero wrote:why do people even make such a big deal out of it?
it doesn't seem any different from other hobbies so why do people care so much about it?
I, ummm....... I...... Tell you later, ok?
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

zero wrote:why do people even make such a big deal out of it?
even I read about some lifestyle furries and what kind of stuff they are into or how they act I almost died from the Lolz.
THANK YOU!!!!! :bows down:

Seriously though, for my own definitions: if you like furry art like you would any other style of art, then you're what I would call an anthropomorphic enthusiast. If you then involve yourself in the fandom and are more active in furry related activities (of any kind or magnitude), then you're a furry. If you go further than that, then you're still a furry, just as any other fandom has people that go further than just being interested. If you don't identify as one of those people, just make that clear and anyone who doesn't understand is just close-minded. ;)

70% Fandom, 59% Lifestyle and 71% Knowledge by the by. Seems about right, although it's surprising to see all the lower scores. Not worrying, just surprising considering this is a forum based on a comic based on fuzzy talking animals. :3

Also, the difference between an avatar and a fursona as I see it is minimal and depends mostly on definition. An avatar is someone you use to represent you in non-corporeal activities and can be anything real, fictional or a combination of the two. A fursona is an anthropomorphic representation of yourself and /or how you want people to see you.
Feel like you need a friend? I'm happy to talk anytime! :D

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Currently working on: "The Warriors" Book
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

The definition we've always used in this thread is "anyone whose enjoyment of media containing anthropomorphic animals is enhanced or caused by inclusion of such creatures."

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
tychoaussie

Post by tychoaussie »

Big surprise, I scored 63, 62 , 79 knowledge. Having a fursuit must r3ally boost the numbers. So does the 18x20 poster of my character hanging above the desk in my office.
Fun-loving by birth, Honorable through upbringing, Brave by necessity.

Post by 0404 »

tychoaussie wrote:Big surprise, I scored 63, 62 , 79 knowledge. Having a fursuit must r3ally boost the numbers. So does the 18x20 poster of my character hanging above the desk in my office.
hummmm
I don't even have a fursuit or poster of my fursona, yet, I got 73% Fandom, 69% Lifestyle and 76% Knowledge.
Not so accurate I guess.

only if I could have a poster of my character right here....
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

nice handy dandy notebook
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets

Post by 0404 »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:nice handy dandy notebook
Out of all 'f that, all you see is our handy dandy note book. XP Thanks
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

My results were 55% fandom, 44% lifestyle, 56% knowledge, but I don't really trust that test.
Dissension wrote:The definition we've always used in this thread is "anyone whose enjoyment of media containing anthropomorphic animals is enhanced or caused by inclusion of such creatures."
Considering that this is a forum about a cartoon animal webcomic, that would mean everyone here is a furry. In fact, your definition could very well encompass at least a third of the human population. Because, let's face it, a lot of people look at the TV when a talking dog is saying something in it.

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I noticed that too but I wasn't going to say anything. *giggles*
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Lifio13

Post by Lifio13 »

For the test I scored: 50% Fandom, 37% Lifestyle and 64% Knowledge. I guess that seems about right.
Avatar by the very talented Laxan!

~Rusty Reid -Yorkshire Terrier-RA
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

texascat018 wrote:Image
That looks awesome TC! It's so well done! It'd be cool to see him with the glasses on too.
Also yes.
Feel like you need a friend? I'm happy to talk anytime! :D

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Currently working on: "The Warriors" Book
TinFoilHats

Post by TinFoilHats »

texascat018 wrote:
tychoaussie wrote:Big surprise, I scored 63, 62 , 79 knowledge. Having a fursuit must r3ally boost the numbers. So does the 18x20 poster of my character hanging above the desk in my office.
hummmm
I don't even have a fursuit or poster of my fursona, yet, I got 73% Fandom, 69% Lifestyle and 76% Knowledge.
Not so accurate I guess.

only if I could have a poster of my character right here....
Oooo, who drew that? They're really good 83.
I AM RUBBER, YOU ARE GLUE!!!!
Rico

Post by Rico »

I'm guessing its Pokituu as signed in the bottom corner. But I could be wrong!

I already PM'd TexasCat about it earlier today, just waiting for a reply :)

kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Oh yeah, I took the test the other day, forgot to post it here.
52% Fandom, 52% Lifestyle and 52% Knowledge.

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
TinFoilHats

Post by TinFoilHats »

kurowolfe wrote:Oh yeah, I took the test the other day, forgot to post it here.
52% Fandom, 52% Lifestyle and 52% Knowledge.
...seems like a perfect score
I AM RUBBER, YOU ARE GLUE!!!!

Post by 0404 »

Sleet wrote:I noticed that too but I wasn't going to say anything. *giggles*
Nyaliva wrote:
Also yes.
This Handy Dandy notebook, brings up so much attention : D

Thanks Nyaliva, I'll try to put the glasses on to myself and show it to ya!

haha a nice girl called Pokituu drew it, tinfoil. :)

PM sent!
SkyeCaptain

Post by SkyeCaptain »

I usen't consider myself a furry but really I think there's a lot of evidence to the contrary so I've started accepting it. I don't have a "fursona" or anything though. If I could draw I might but as it stands I like the art and everything but I'm not really active in the fandom.
Being good pays off. There's a nice view up here on moral high-ground.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

No one has to have a fursona or be involved in the fandom to be a furry. :3
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Just snuggle a kitten and admit yourselves to the awesome power of the fluffies. X3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
SkyeCaptain

Post by SkyeCaptain »

Sleet wrote:No one has to have a fursona or be involved in the fandom to be a furry. :3
Oh, I know. I just meant that it would be quite easy for me to be mistaken for not a furry.

I did the survey and got 69% Fandom, 59% Lifestyle, 57% Knowledge which seems about right.
Being good pays off. There's a nice view up here on moral high-ground.
hyperfox

Post by hyperfox »

Thats a pretty cool standpoint.
I don't know why I'm so hyper sometimes.....maybe its because I'm surrounded by awesome people. ^_^
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

50% Fandom, 52% Lifestyle and 34% Knowledge.

I don't really think I am a furry but then I'm not entirely sure of the definition of "furry" or what it encompasses either.

According to Diss's definition, yes I am, to an extent. I do like anthropomorphic animals or animals to which have been attributed human qualities but only to an extent. I like them to still seem animal, especially in appearance. I don't like, for example, certain anime in which the only difference between humans and the anthropomorphic characters is ears and a tail, but I do like things like Redwall, Rupert, Looney Tunes, Alvin and the Chipmunks, The Animals of Farthing Wood, Watership Down, Blinky Bill Disney, etc. and I have always loved the idea of being able to hold a conversation with animals.

If "furry" means someone who loves animals then yes, definitely. I am studying to become a veterinarian after all.

If by furry you mean someone with a fursona or fursuit or someone who participates in "the fandom" (whatever that means), then no, I am not. I have no fursona or fursuit. "Hlaoroo" is just one of several screen names I use online and I can't even claim ownership of the name as I pinched it from a character in a book which I love (Watership Down if you're wondering). I do enjoy going to costume parties and putting together a costume (although I'm no good at it - I once went as a cockatoo since I had to be an animal of some sort and everyone thought I was a chicken :P ) I think I would enjoy having a fursuit but I'd rarely have an excuse to wear it.

If by furry you mean someone with species dysphoria, then no, definitely not. I am, and I do consider myself to be, 100% human although I do sometimes like to imagine I have a tail with which to express myself, just for the fun of it.

So overall, I think that no, I am not a furry; rather I am simply very fond of animals.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Hera Ledro

Post by Hera Ledro »

58 Fandom, 50 Lifestyle, 71 Knowledge

I do consider myself a furry, though significantly less involved than a lot of my furry peers. For me, it basically amounts to the fact that I do enjoy animal-based characters in fiction, and my writing is primarily about anthros because I just enjoy writing that. I treat furry 'work' the same way I treat 'non-furry' work: with respect and critical thought, and I don't differentiate between furry and non-furry in my own work. A story is a story, and you use tools and methods that you feel best communicate the message of the work, furry or not.

Suppose that if I actually had a 'sona, it would be an otter. Always loved them, tended to be my favourite characters in the Redwall series, and my personality has often been described as a water personality: go with the flow, but not afraid to power through something if I need to.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Google search, "what kind of animal are you quiz".

About 6,750,000 results (0.70 seconds)
Hera Ledro

Post by Hera Ledro »

I got >7,360,000 in .31 seconds :P

Interestingly, I tend to score as a dog. What do y'all score as?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Hlaoroo, you sound like a furry to me, personally.

I used to look for fursona quizzes a few years ago but none of them are really good. It all just comes down to what you personally decide.
Rico

Post by Rico »

I want to change my poll vote, but it won't let me :( (No to Yes)

hyperfox

Post by hyperfox »

I tried to change mine, too.. Does anyone know how we can change the vote?
I don't know why I'm so hyper sometimes.....maybe its because I'm surrounded by awesome people. ^_^