No
25%
Yes
75%

Total votes: 348

Psykeout

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by Psykeout »

KJOokami wrote:Well, creepy-sounding or otherwise, saying anything else for me is pretty much lying. For me, personally, that's why I consider myself a furry. Besides, it's more because I was trying to condense into one sentence.

I'm not the type to explain something in a single sentence anyway; I'd have to go into quite a bit of detail to feel satisfied that I got the point across. And in doing so I'd clarify a lot of things that might, at first glance, turn most people off to the idea.
well of course. if you wanted them to understand everything, it would take several paragraphs.

but sometimes you have to suck it up and hope they'll ask a follow up question. when you tell someone what it is, you have to define, not describe or explain.
bwah bwah
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

or they'll ask no questions and have no preconceived notions. that's how I reacted when my friend told me he's a furry.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Sleet wrote:The problem is there's often a trade-off between correctness and casualness. You can say "I like cartoon animal people" and that's mostly correct, but then you can say "I am a fan of the attribution of animal traits to humans and vice-versa" and people will look at you funny and wonder why there's even a fandom for that. I tend towards the former, but sometimes the latter will work if the person is understanding enough.
Thing is: I would never use either of those definitions to introduce someone to that fact that I'm a furry. Like I said, I would be sure to clarify things so that there's no room for people to let their own (often misguided) thoughts on the subject in without giving me a chance to explain.

For example, "I love and admire the physique of anthropomorphic animals" becomes "I love and admire the human physique and I think that fur enhances it because it combines my interest in animals (specifically of the soft, furry variety) and my attraction to the human body."

I'd also be sure to explain that my personal fascination with anthros is not what makes up the entirety of the furry fandom. Nor even a large part of the fandom, for that matter.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

I don't get it, why would it be so important to reveal yourself as a furry, it's not like you're gay, coming out of the closet is a lot harder than revealing your furryness, i'm just saying.
Sent from my conifer.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Some people like drama. So they turn everything into it.

Also, some of the weirder furries like to treat those two things as they're comparable. The rest of us are not amused.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

you're right, it's not. but if you did want to tell someone, being clear is important. especially with all the negative ideas that might be spread around.
KJOokami wrote:
Sleet wrote:The problem is there's often a trade-off between correctness and casualness. You can say "I like cartoon animal people" and that's mostly correct, but then you can say "I am a fan of the attribution of animal traits to humans and vice-versa" and people will look at you funny and wonder why there's even a fandom for that. I tend towards the former, but sometimes the latter will work if the person is understanding enough.
Thing is: I would never use either of those definitions to introduce someone to that fact that I'm a furry. Like I said, I would be sure to clarify things so that there's no room for people to let their own (often misguided) thoughts on the subject in without giving me a chance to explain.

For example, "I love and admire the physique of anthropomorphic animals" becomes "I love and admire the human physique and I think that fur enhances it because it combines my interest in animals (specifically of the soft, furry variety) and my attraction to the human body."

I'd also be sure to explain that my personal fascination with anthros is not what makes up the entirety of the furry fandom. Nor even a large part of the fandom, for that matter.
i know. but you really have to keep it brief. the more words you use, the less good a job you do at explaining what a furry is.
bwah bwah
sonic id furreh!!!

Post by sonic id furreh!!! »

i'm a kitty-wolf! :3
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

When you're around furries a lot, it's easy to forget a simple fact: furries are weird. The less concise the explanation, the weirder we sound. Even if it's not a gross weird, it's still not what we're going for.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

everyone's weird to someone. just try to present the facts in a way that doesn't sound weird to you, and it shouldn't matter what other people think. If they don't accept you, they don't matter.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

So, can I be a furry and not be weird about it? I mean, the ONLY reasons why I'm a furry is because I think anthropomorphic animals are cool, and I consider a certain animal to resemble me, but that's it. I don't do the fursuit deal, the meets, or anything else like that.
Last edited by Alastair on Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Life is Music, and Music is Life
------------------
My songs: http://www.soundcloud.com/onevirtue

Check out my FA page too!
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

TougeFoxJ.D.M. wrote:So, can I be a furry and not be weird about it? I mean, the ONLY reasons why I'm a furry is because I think anthropomorphic animals are cool, and I consider a certain animal to resemble me, but that's it. I don't do the fursuit deal, the meets, or anything else like that.
yep.

there are furs who are even more casual about it than that, believe it or not.
bwah bwah
Reima

Post by Reima »

TougeFoxJ.D.M. wrote:So, can I be a furry and not be weird about it? I mean, the ONLY reasons why I'm a furry is because I think anthropomorphic animals are cool, and I consider a certain animal to resemble me, but that's it.
Yeah, I would say you could call yourself furry for that.
That's the conclusion I came to for myself at least.
I guess overall, it's just about what you feel comfortable labeling yourself as.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free.
"
~Clarence Darrow
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Yeah, you sound like a pretty average furry to me!

Furmeets aren't too weird, though. It's just people hangin' out, really.
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

I don't have and don't really want a fursuit, I'm ok with an online fursona.
Sent from my conifer.
Kitela

Post by Kitela »

Psykeout wrote:
TougeFoxJ.D.M. wrote:So, can I be a furry and not be weird about it? I mean, the ONLY reasons why I'm a furry is because I think anthropomorphic animals are cool, and I consider a certain animal to resemble me, but that's it. I don't do the fursuit deal, the meets, or anything else like that.
yep.

there are furs who are even more casual about it than that, believe it or not.
Oh, I guess that would make me a furry, also...

I think the fursuites are cute but that's not something I would do.
Reima

Post by Reima »

Full on fursuit, definitely not my cup of tea...
But a tail like Sleet mentioned might be kind of cute.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free.
"
~Clarence Darrow
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Psykeout wrote:i know. but you really have to keep it brief. the more words you use, the less good a job you do at explaining what a furry is.
That's somewhat contradictory to everyone's previous agreement that being a furry is different for everyone, yeah? But if that's the way you feel, clearly we have very different opinions on what being a furry means. For me, being a furry is very much a topic that cannot simply be lumped into a short, six word sentence. I respect your right to have a differing opinion; I'd be gracious if you could do the same.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Short responses are also very nonspecific. So they tend to fit most definitions. Even if they don't exactly match.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Sleet wrote:Short responses are also very nonspecific. So they tend to fit most definitions. Even if they don't exactly match.
With all the poorly educated, and often despicable, notions about the fandom going around as there are, is a nonspecific answer really what you want to go for? You really think it's a good thing to just leave is up to another person's imagination? Personally, I'm gonna have to pass on that one.
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

I would love to have a fursuit so much :V

And rave all night long baby~ xD
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Reima

Post by Reima »

KJOokami wrote: With all the poorly educated, and often despicable, notions about the fandom going around as there are, is a nonspecific answer really what you want to go for? You really think it's a good thing to just leave is up to another person's imagination? Personally, I'm gonna have to pass on that one.
I think he was saying the opposite.
That going with a short definition opens the door for misunderstandings based on what other people tend to associate with the definition.
I could be wrong, but that's what I took from the post.

Also Tobee, I just want you to know you are awesome.
That is all.
"
~Clarence Darrow
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

Hehe, if humans had tails it would be awesome, there are some babies that are born with tails but those are cut off right away.
Sent from my conifer.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Those aren't really nice tails like furries want. It's more a degenerate ape tail and is kind of gross.
Kitela

Post by Kitela »

*Imagines all humans with tails*

o_o
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

Sleet wrote:Those aren't really nice tails like furries want. It's more a degenerate ape tail and is kind of gross.
Yeah I know, if we all had nice fuzzy tails it would be a good life though.
Sent from my conifer.
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

KJOokami wrote:
Sleet wrote:Short responses are also very nonspecific. So they tend to fit most definitions. Even if they don't exactly match.
With all the poorly educated, and often despicable, notions about the fandom going around as there are, is a nonspecific answer really what you want to go for? You really think it's a good thing to just leave is up to another person's imagination? Personally, I'm gonna have to pass on that one.
when you give a long definition, you sound defensive. With a short definition, it should become clear to the other person that whatever the furry fandom is, it doesn't hold a lot of importance. and how insignificant something is is directly proportional to how bad it can be.

The less important you make it seem, the more misconceptions you deny.
bwah bwah
Reima

Post by Reima »

Kitela wrote:*Imagines all humans with tails*

o_o
Eww...
Not a pretty idea.
Honestly, do not do a Google Image search for that.
"
~Clarence Darrow
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

Reima wrote:
Kitela wrote:*Imagines all humans with tails*

o_o
Eww...
Not a pretty idea.
Honestly, do not do a Google Image search for that.
And also, do not think of a pink elephant. Or else.
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com
Reima

Post by Reima »

ChewyChewy wrote:
And also, do not think of a pink elephant. Or else.
When I think of a pink elephant, the first thing that comes to mind is Dumbo...
Should I not think of pink elephants for some other reason?
"
~Clarence Darrow
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Yes, I'm a furry.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

Too late, you already did it. :P

(Seriously, though, LOVE that song! :D )
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

oh, i'm a furry too.

my fursona is a bottle of ale81.
bwah bwah
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

You mean a wolf? :P
Psykeout wrote:
KJOokami wrote:
when you give a long definition, you sound defensive. With a short definition, it should become clear to the other person that whatever the furry fandom is, it doesn't hold a lot of importance. and how insignificant something is is directly proportional to how bad it can be.
This is exactly the case. The more casual you can make it, the better.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Psykeout wrote:when you give a long definition, you sound defensive. With a short definition, it should become clear to the other person that whatever the furry fandom is, it doesn't hold a lot of importance. and how insignificant something is is directly proportional to how bad it can be.

The less important you make it seem, the more misconceptions you deny.
Um... what? I must say I'm not really following that logic there, sir. :|

I don't see how the length of a response at all indicates how defensive a person is; I'd say it's more directly associated with the tone of your voice and the expression on your face. If you deliver a somewhat lengthy explanation with a neutral face and casual tone, no one's going to say, "Wow, why are you being so defensive?" No one I've ever met anyway.

Also, if you take the time to explain that there's nothing more "bad" about the fandom than any other group (including human beings as a whole), then there will be no reason to worry about the apparent correlation between the significance of the furry fandom and how potentially bad it can be.

Either way, long explanation seems to win out as far as "playing it safe" goes.
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

I think what they're saying is, if you say something concise to the effect of "I like cartoon animals", people won't think twice about it, and you won't have to defend them from the negative connotations of anything.

If this ever comes up at all, I mean. I keep getting the image of you calling everyone you know into an ominously floorlight conference room with this long shiny wood table and swiveling around slowly in a chair, before ruffling your hair, standing up, pacing, and then announcing that you are a furry.
Psykeout wrote:oh, i'm a furry too.

If its grown fur that means it's not safe to drink anymore
Last edited by CaptainPea on Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

CaptainPea wrote:I think what they're saying is, if you say something to the effect of "I like cartoon animals", people won't think twice about it, and you won't have to defend them from the negative connotations of anything.
Psykeout wrote:oh, i'm a furry too.

If its grown fur that means it's not safe to drink anymore
It's not safe to drink him anymore. =(
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

CaptainPea wrote:I think what they're saying is, if you say something concise to the effect of "I like cartoon animals", people won't think twice about it, and you won't have to defend them from the negative connotations of anything.

That's not the issue being discussed though. We're talking about actually telling someone that we're a furry, not just that we "like cartoon animals". So we're assuming someone coming up to us (a friend, or relative, or whatever) and saying, "So you're a... furry? What's that exactly?"

More to the point, I'm talking about telling someone what being a "furry" actually means to me. If I just say, "It means I like cartoon animals." I answer one question, and open the floodgates for speculation galore about why there's actually a name and fandom for "cartoon animals". This will tend to lead to google searches, where 10 bucks says they find furry porn before an article saying, "There's nothing wrong with being a furry."

That is why I'm saying it's better to clarify before they have a reason to find clarity elsewhere.
CaptainPea wrote:I keep getting the image of you calling everyone you know into an ominously floorlight conference room with this long shiny wood table and swiveling around slowly in a chair, before ruffling your hair, standing up, pacing, and then announcing that you are a furry.

Regardless of the fact I've only ever given the opinion that going out of your way to tell others is unnecessary and probably a bad idea?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

When people are introduced to things that are unfamiliar to them, it's natural to feel threatened. The more you explain, the more time they have to start thinking, "wow, this is weird." If you just give them a brief one, the worst that will happen is they'll think it's just some silly quirk. A big explanation is the difference between people thinking it's something silly and thinking it's a cult.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Whatever. Clearly, neither of us is willing to budge on this. Agree to disagree.
Reima

Post by Reima »

ChewyChewy wrote:Too late, you already did it. :P
Darn...
Well, is it fatal Doctor Chewy? :lol:

As for the argument that is going on...
I see it as a case-by-case basis, just as the definition of what a furry is changes on a case-by-case basis.
Overall, it's just how you would personally feel comfortable telling people, in the event that you feel the need to do so.
Some people find that a short definition is easy; some find a long definition better.
It's preference.
I can see where there may be pitfalls in both views.
A short definition may not be sufficient for some people, and may lead them to get information from unreliable sources;
A long definition can make it sound much more problematic and strange and give the idea that you are trying to give people excuses for why you are the way you are.

Now, before you attack me for being the devil's advocate and looking at things from an objective view, just remember that each one of us is different and we feel comfortable talking in different ways. I think the most important thing is not how you say something, but what you say.

With that said, I need to try and find an antidote for whatever horrible illness I may contract from thinking about pink elephants...
"
~Clarence Darrow