No
25%
Yes
75%

Total votes: 348

The Blue Fox

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by The Blue Fox »

Yeah, I suppose if you're still fairly new to the idea of furries it'll take ya a while to get an idea of what your fursona is.

I just wondered of you had any ideas for what ya wanted or whatever. *shrugs*
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Having a fursona isn't an integral part of being furry, Blue Fox. You can be furry without having a fursona or taking an active part in the fandom.
On that note, is there a topic for discussing our fursonas, those of us that do have them? *wanders off to check*
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

I do not believe such a topic exists, though it may just be buried and/or extremely old (featuring some of the older members who we may or may not even remember) but then I cannot be certain. Never seen it though. :lol:
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I think we just use this thread to discuss such things
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Hlaoroo wrote:Having a fursona isn't an integral part of being furry, Blue Fox. You can be furry without having a fursona or taking an active part in the fandom.
As discussed some pages before, each one gives the own definition of being a furry and what's needed to be considered as one. As seems, there isn't a written "global statement". In mine, I see the needing of a fursona important: it's the identity of a furry, and that's enough.
Render wrote:That's presently far out of my mind. Have recognized only a while ago that I am furry, even if in a 'mild' form, if you know what I mean.
Can be the same also for me. If we want to define the "mild" form of being a furry, can be used the term "anthropomorphic animals enthusiast".
Sleet wrote:You do not need to be like an animal to be a furry. A furry is just someone who is a fan of anthropomorphism and/or the works that feature it.
In fact, I don't see why your should be like an animal, and how, then? Doing what? Acting like one? At least, who claims himself as a furry should be an animals lover respecting them (ain't you've to be a strict animalist and/or a vegetarian, things pretty hard to do for those who haven't grown up with certain values), otherwise, all results kinda inconsistent. You can be an animals lover without be a furry too, but not really the contrary, IMHO.
There's more than be a fan of anthropomorphism: it's also a way to meet new people which have your same interests and passions, and it's also a form of art with drawing and fursuiting.
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:I think we just use this thread to discuss such things
Indeed, but a new proper topic name would be better. The question stays only for the topic attached poll.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I look at Fursonas as Animal Personas. We like to think of ourselves as animals at times since we practically grew up with pets and animals in our lives and likely were inspired in one shape or form because of it. It never hurts to pretend to be one or act like one, which is pretty much what I think the furry fandom is in a nut shell. For example, I like my fursona because it represents what I want people to see me online - A Green cat who wears a shiny yellow collar. =P
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

The reason we use "one whose enjoyment of a subject matter is enhanced by the presence of anthropomorphic animals" as our definition here is because we don't want to be exclusive. There are people who have been a part of the furry fandom for years and have never felt the need to create a fursona. Trying to define such people as "mild furries" or "anthropomorph enthusiasts" is a bit silly specifically because everyone has their own reason for being a furry.
Some people just enjoy furry art or stories, others like fursuiting, others love the idea of fursonas (and that even to varying degrees of immersion), some believe they are another animal. Yet all are part of the furry fandom. That's why we use such a broad definition. It avoids petty squabbles over the "requirements" to be a furry, when really the fandom is about enjoying all sorts of furry related art and entertainment.

The reason why we don't have a separate thread for fursonas is that this thread originally was designed for a wide overview of the fandom (opinions, reasons why you are or are not a furry, what species you are (including human), etc), and no one part has ever taken over this thread enough to warrant breaking it off into its own.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Obbl wrote:The reason we use "one whose enjoyment of a subject matter is enhanced by the presence of anthropomorphic animals" as our definition here is because we don't want to be exclusive.
It's also a good practice for comics from my experience and readings to avoid trying to make a comic exclusive to a certain audience, which I'm %100 certain is what Rick is trying to avoid. It's the same kind of light that comics like Sonic (Gamer comic), My Little Ponies (Girl comic) and Archies (Teenagers) gets painted on when you think about it.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Cesco wrote:
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:I think we just use this thread to discuss such things
Indeed, but a new proper topic name would be better. The question stays only for the topic attached poll.
I don't think we need a new topic. This thread has always been more than just the poll specifically, and creating a topic to talk about fursonas would be like creating a topic for a specific video game instead of talking about it in the video game thread.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It still baffles me how many semantic hoops people jump through just so they don't have to call themselves furries.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

GameCobra wrote:For example, I like my fursona because it represents what I want people to see me online - A Green cat who wears a shiny yellow collar. =P
And that is fully fine.
Obbl wrote:The reason why we don't have a separate thread for fursonas is that this thread originally was designed for a wide overview of the fandom (opinions, reasons why you are or are not a furry, what species you are (including human), etc), and no one part has ever taken over this thread enough to warrant breaking it off into its own.
Then I am a human. Which also is an animal.
Cesco wrote:
Render wrote:That's presently far out of my mind. Have recognized only a while ago that I am furry, even if in a 'mild' form, if you know what I mean.
Can be the same also for me. If we want to define the "mild" form of being a furry, can be used the term "anthropomorphic animals enthusiast".
I don't think that we need to define different levels of furries. I just said 'mild form' to express that my furry self is not yet so deep in the fandom to have a fursona or wear ears, a tail, or even a full fursuit or that I go to conventions or similar things. Maybe that will come later or not - will see. Presently I just like furry art, cartoons, comics, movies, ... I also like the idea of fursuiting, what Tycho Aussi is doing is impressing, I like that he is doing it and how and I like the stories he tells. Will I ever have an own, don't know. As I said before, will see what time brings - presently it's not the right thing for myself.
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Sleet wrote:It still baffles me how many semantic hoops people jump through just so they don't have to call themselves furries.
Well, given the rather negative connotation of the term in society, this is bound to happen somewhere. And there are others who does not like labels at all, yet some people just want to slap that label onto them whether they like it or not, making them more adverse towards the word.

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Cesco wrote:
Hlaoroo wrote:Having a fursona isn't an integral part of being furry, Blue Fox. You can be furry without having a fursona or taking an active part in the fandom.
As discussed some pages before, each one gives the own definition of being a furry and what's needed to be considered as one. As seems, there isn't a written "global statement". In mine, I see the needing of a fursona important: it's the identity of a furry, and that's enough.
Yeah, my definition of someone being a furry is more in favour of them having a fursona of some kind as well. *nods*
Hlaoroo wrote:On that note, is there a topic for discussing our fursonas, those of us that do have them? *wanders off to check*
Kyuubi Kitsune wrote:I do not believe such a topic exists, though it may just be buried and/or extremely old (featuring some of the older members who we may or may not even remember) but then I cannot be certain. Never seen it though. :lol:
Yeah I think folks showing off their fursonas, if they have them, can be allocated to this thread too. *nods*

And on that note, you can find a number of doodles of my fursona, done by me, at My Furaffinity page *nods*
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Render wrote:
Cesco wrote:
I don't think that we need to define different levels of furries. I just said 'mild form' to express that my furry self is not yet so deep in the fandom to have a fursona or wear ears, a tail, or even a full fursuit or that I go to conventions or similar things. Maybe that will come later or not - will see. Presently I just like furry art, cartoons, comics, movies, ... I also like the idea of fursuiting, what Tycho Aussi is doing is impressing, I like that he is doing it and how and I like the stories he tells. Will I ever have an own, don't know. As I said before, will see what time brings - presently it's not the right thing for myself.
You're a bit contraddicting yourself: isn't say that like do a defining of a level of being a furry? Well, your present situation with this stuff is similar to mine. About the fursuiting idea, I only admire it for the impressive work, costs and technics used for the costumes. All this, doesn't define myself a furry.
I like what Tycho Aussie does with his amazing fursuit, it's a pleasure read them. :)
kurowolfe wrote:
Sleet wrote:It still baffles me how many semantic hoops people jump through just so they don't have to call themselves furries.
Well, given the rather negative connotation of the term in society, this is bound to happen somewhere. And there are others who does not like labels at all, yet some people just want to slap that label onto them whether they like it or not, making them more adverse towards the word.
In my case, the reason isn't absolutely that. On the contrary, I would be pretty proud if I was more into this universe talking about it with the people I know. At the moment, I'm only interested in looking what furries use to do in it and informing about. Together with this, there's the interest in amatorial webcomics.
Generally and summarily, at least the media thinking seem to be so, are defined furries those people who like to wear fursuits and meet them in the apposite conventions. That's all. Then, the minor negative connotation of do this can get known too.
JeffCvt wrote:I don't think we need a new topic. This thread has always been more than just the poll specifically, and creating a topic to talk about fursonas would be like creating a topic for a specific video game instead of talking about it in the video game thread.
I hadn't been clear enough.
I agree that. Right because this topic/thread has always been more than what the poll question asks, I meant to change its title with a proper one, like "Furry talking" or "Furry discussion". Anyway, considering the long time that's here, can't matter...
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I don't think there's anything wrong with the current arrangement.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Cesco wrote:Indeed, but a new proper topic name would be better. The question stays only for the topic attached poll.
I see no need to change the name.
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

Foxstar wrote:
Cesco wrote:Indeed, but a new proper topic name would be better. The question stays only for the topic attached poll.
I see no need to change the name.
The name is just matching the topic. No need to change it.
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
matthew Wolf

Post by matthew Wolf »

GameCobra wrote:I look at Fursonas as Animal Personas. We like to think of ourselves as animals at times since we practically grew up with pets and animals in our lives and likely were inspired in one shape or form because of it. It never hurts to pretend to be one or act like one, which is pretty much what I think the furry fandom is in a nut shell. For example, I like my fursona because it represents what I want people to see me online - A Green cat who wears a shiny yellow collar. =P
and your collar looks like it has a zelda symbol on it and i had multiple unusual pets as a i was little i once remember having 2 different frogs hermit crabs a cat a dog for a little while we had a duck because someone found a baby duck in the driveway of where my step mom worked so we took it home to take care of it until we could release it back to the wild a hamster i think once a gerbil a snake 3 cats and no i didn't have all this at once that would have bean a petting zoo
you laugh at me because i,m different i laugh at you because your the same
Spawtzi

Post by Spawtzi »

I sort of have a Fursona, but it's likely going to change soon, as I was rather new to the idea when I created it. I don't think having a fursona is an essential part of being a furry, although I think it could be a great way to represent yourself as a furry. I like being seen as my fursona on the web (although I have yet to choose one I will stick with) and I think it's a good way to represent me.
Rainbow
hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

I finally decided to tell my friends that I was a furry. Two of them keep making fun of me for it and it's starting to get really annoying.
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
Foxstar

Post by Foxstar »

hypernovatic wrote:I finally decided to tell my friends that I was a furry. Two of them keep making fun of me for it and it's starting to get really annoying.
How did you tell them? That's important. Or really why did you tell them? Being a 'furry' isn't like being gay or bisexual or having cancer.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Even if it's good-natured teasing, it can get old, I understand. Have you talked to them about how it feels?
hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

We were talking about what we thought were cool and I said anthropomorphic animals. I then told them I was a furry and two of them laughed at me and made fun of me. I've tried to tell them to stop, but they just ignore me.
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
Foxstar

Post by Foxstar »

hypernovatic wrote:We were talking about what we thought were cool and I said anthropomorphic animals. I then told them I was a furry and two of them laughed at me and made fun of me. I've tried to tell them to stop, but they just ignore me.
Making fun of you isn't cool. I'm sorry.
RatHead

Post by RatHead »

Walls of Text here we go...
The Blue Fox wrote:
Cesco wrote:
Yeah, my definition of someone being a furry is more in favour of them having a fursona of some kind as well. *nods*
Hlaoroo wrote:On that note, is there a topic for discussing our fursonas, those of us that do have them? *wanders off to check*
Kyuubi Kitsune wrote:I do not believe such a topic exists, though it may just be buried and/or extremely old (featuring some of the older members who we may or may not even remember) but then I cannot be certain. Never seen it though. :lol:
Yeah I think folks showing off their fursonas, if they have them, can be allocated to this thread too. *nods*

And on that note, you can find a number of doodles of my fursona, done by me, at My Furaffinity page *nods*
Actually I think we use the "Do you own a fursuit?" topic to discuss fursonas and fursuits.

Also, I agree completely with you TBF and others, A furs fursona is a way of distinguishing themselves from other furries and from every furry; that's why I have just recently finished the redesign of my fursona in my head and am going to VERY SOON send off the specs/etc to be drawn my a friend i know for free..... >:D
Even though my 'sona is based off of a mix of 2 common characters (Tom/Jasper from T&J and Simba from TLK of course) it is definitely a thing of it's own. hopefully you guys will be able to see it soon and like it.
Foxstar wrote:
hypernovatic wrote:I finally decided to tell my friends that I was a furry. Two of them keep making fun of me for it and it's starting to get really annoying.
How did you tell them? That's important. Or really why did you tell them? Being a 'furry' isn't like being gay or bisexual or having cancer.
To some it is, in fact, it seems to many, if you are a furry it means that you ARE gay, bisexual, and only into/all you do involves "pornz."
and that is really sad, I wish that people would change their look, but sadly people don't like change, even if they say the do. I just wonder
WIll peoples outlook on us EVER change?
Foxstar wrote:
hypernovatic wrote:We were talking about what we thought were cool and I said anthropomorphic animals. I then told them I was a furry and two of them laughed at me and made fun of me. I've tried to tell them to stop, but they just ignore me.
Making fun of you isn't cool. I'm sorry.
That's why I've told almost NO ONE that I am a fur. I have told A friend that I have had for years so he is like a brother (we even fight occasionally and "never want to see each other again" XD).

A female friend who used to be a girlfriend but we *yadda yadda yadda* and now we are stronger as friends because of this and our interests are the same (movies, TV, Music, Even Comedians! [ESPECIALLY Gabriel Iglesias!]) and we've been through so much in each of our lives, Including being made fun of out whole lives, which is also why we are the best of friends and she is one of my top best friends.

My Family (my brother still refuses to believe it and thinks of furries just like everyone else *sigh* which is sad, especially since he's one of my heroes for many reasons, one being how accepting he is).

And my new next door neighbor and a recently made friend (recent = a few months ago) who figured it out when I was in the business office watin for my new cable for this computer, and I accidentally left this topic on while I was logged on, and when I gave him the computer station I was using he read some of the posts, found out mine, and called me out on it. (He said it was weird when i typed that I almost wish i owned a tail, but I told him what it meant, and he understood, but still thought it odd). He knows I'm a fur, and makes fun of me and calls me a "pornz" freak and other things, but he understands, understands I'm not like that/ one of those, and accepts it/me. (He also has promised not to tell anyone without my explicit permission.)

All the rest of my friends, including one I've had since 6th grade (I'm 19) do not know. Will I ever tell them? I am truly unsure. I was going to tell the aforementioned one while i was hanging out with him for the last time, but while him and a couple other friends were over and the conversation turned to Minecraft/etc I mentioned that I didn't not know what the things that they/me were talking about currently were like (wow, Minecraft). And I said that i didn't "know what these sim game thingies are like, like World of Warcraft or Minecraft or Second Life"(<snuck that in there, but they caught it,)< and when they caught this they mentioned it was a furry only thing, and I started to hope, untill they started callin em weird and they did weird stuff (I "agreed" so as to keep the flow of the night/party goin, but had to strike the idea of tellin my long tome friend that I was a fur, at least for awhile)(luckily they did not call 'furs "freaks" or "*porns*ers" otherwise i don't know what/how i could have said/reacted).
I'm hopin to break the news to the rest of my friends slowly and over LONG time
I recommend that unless anyone else's friends are all like the first few I mentioned, they do the same type of thing that I'm doing.

DISCLAIMER: Mods, if you do not like anything I have said or any words I have used, PLEASE DO NOT DELETE THIS POST, PM me and I will immediately fix the problem(s)

Edit, Mods: "I flunked middle school" haha, nice filter wording! :lol:

HP! Messenger
Limp-in around eatin a dirty rubber Bizkit
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

RatHead wrote:
Actually I think we use the "Do you own a fursuit?" topic to discuss fursonas and fursuits.
Nah, this thread also originally included a tally of the various critters making up the non-human ranks of HP! fans. (This may be seen in the fifth post.)
RatHead wrote:
Foxstar wrote:How did you tell them? That's important. Or really why did you tell them? Being a 'furry' isn't like being gay or bisexual or having cancer.
To some it is, in fact, it seems to many, if you are a furry it means that you ARE gay, bisexual, and only into/all you do involves "I flunked middle school."
It could be that I'm extremely sheltered, but I've never heard of people being beaten to death or otherwise killed for being a fur. If you feel the need to discuss your interest in the fandom with non-furries, it's best to be as open as possible. If you don't treat it like a weird thing, you can influence how others see it.
RatHead wrote:Edit, Mods: "I flunked middle school" haha, nice filter wording! :lol:
The filter's in place for a reason! It's not like we really need to discuss pornography on the forums in the first place.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

Apparently my twin sister somehow found out that I was a furry. She walked into my room when I was on the computer looking at the comic. She looks at the screen and says "You're a furry? That's disgusting." I turned around and told her that I don't bash on the things she likes.
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

If she thinks it's disgusting, she doesn't really understand what a furry is (or isn't).
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Or she is just being a typical sibling and messing with you.

My own sister accused me of being a furry among other things. He hobby was to find out about everything from subcultures to deviant behavior so she could accuse me of engaging in it. I asked her how normal it was to have such morbid curiosities and to derive entertainment from accusing people. Ultimately I reminded her that she was far more sick than I could ever hope to be!
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
tychoaussie

Post by tychoaussie »

Sigh.

Really, The absolute best thing is to firstly keep your furry fascination family friendly and then tell the truth about why you like it while at the same time assuring them its just for fun. Don't get mad or call anyone names or you'll have a nasty wall to overcome. Like it or not, there is a subset of the fandom that openly practices those aspects which make nonfurry folk go Ewwww! You've got to distinguish between that subset and yourself by showcasing the cute and fun parts.
Fun-loving by birth, Honorable through upbringing, Brave by necessity.
rollingWolf

Post by rollingWolf »

I read several anthropomorphic webcomics, but thats mostly just because I cant quench my first for comics overrall, furry or not. I have many furry friends and hang on furnet but I dont consider myself a furry. I got wolves as totem, "guide" whatever, thats an integral part of me and not some fursona I pretend to be (which also is the reason why I frown on people changing all the time, not counting on the "grace" period were you would be searching and not having found out yet).
¡pɐǝɥ ɹnoʎ buıɥsnɹɔ ɯı ¡pɐǝɥ ɹnoʎ buıɥsnɹɔ ɯı
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

hypernovatic wrote:Apparently my twin sister somehow found out that I was a furry. She walked into my room when I was on the computer looking at the comic. She looks at the screen and says "You're a furry? That's disgusting." I turned around and told her that I don't bash on the things she likes.
She just looks at your computer screen, sees a comic strip that happens to feature anthros, and her first reaction is "Furries, ewwww"? :| Why does this strike me as odd?

I mean, there are plenty of other comic strips and animated cartoons out there featuring anrthromorphs...popular ones, too.
Tom and Jerry and the Looney Tunes to name but two. And all they deal in is good ol' fashioned wacky cartoon violence and various other wacky stuff.

Sleet wrote:If she thinks it's disgusting, she doesn't really understand what a furry is (or isn't).
I think that's the cause behind a lot of furry hate, people not truly understanding what we are.

To keep it simple, we can simply say furries in general are not a bad thing...we just got the same problem as a lot of other pop culture sects...it's the bad minority ruining things for the good majority...and it's that bad minority that gets all the attention...and then people think the whole sect is the same way.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

hypernovatic wrote:Apparently my twin sister somehow found out that I was a furry. She walked into my room when I was on the computer looking at the comic. She looks at the screen and says "You're a furry? That's disgusting." I turned around and told her that I don't bash on the things she likes.
Even if we ignore that she automatically linked furry to "disgusting", she also automatically linked "talking animals" with furry, completely ignoring all the non-furries who like things like Looney Tunes, Garfield, Calvin and Hobbes, and even Adventure Time.
so unless she gathered that you're a furry from other information, she shouldn't have even made that assumption.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Kitela

Post by Kitela »

Just from a comic?
My friends see all of my fox/wolf memorabilia, they will see me reading comics(furry and non-furry), They know the many animated movies, and what pattern they follow. Still, none of them think anything of it. One of my friends at one time knew I was a furry, but that's because I told him. He was more interested that disgusted.

I guess I just don't have the expressive Fursonallity as other furrys.
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

I like how Random Geek's post basicaly said the exact same thing I just said XD
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Kitela wrote:I guess I just don't have the expressive Fursonallity as other furrys.
Kit, I don't think I've ever heard the term 'fursonality' before.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Dissension wrote:
Kitela wrote:I guess I just don't have the expressive Fursonallity as other furrys.
Kit, I don't think I've ever heard the term 'fursonality' before.
Me neither...but It works! Kit invented a new fur-word! :D
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

This should probably go in the movie thread but it is something that the furries can get behind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbXEKZVonko

Apparently Sly Cooper is being made into an animated movie.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

apparently Ratchet and Clank is being made into one, too. by the same company, and it comes out first.

good to see Rainmaker coming out with some not barbie movies, hopefully it ends up better than Escape from Planet Earth.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
Even if we ignore that she automatically linked furry to "disgusting", she also automatically linked "talking animals" with furry, completely ignoring all the non-furries who like things like Looney Tunes, Garfield, Calvin and Hobbes, and even Adventure Time.
So unless she gathered that you're a furry from other information, she shouldn't have even made that assumption.
How sad. Pardon and teach, because that's just an aberration born from the ignorance in this matter.
Radio Blue Heart wrote:Apparently Sly Cooper is being made into an animated movie.
Sounds great. Never got to play a Sly Cooper series game, but its characters and platfrom gameplay features always interested me (who knows...).