2019/01/16 - What’s The Story, Wishbone?

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2019/01/16 - What’s The Story, Wishbone?

Post by D-Rock »

[2019/01/16 - What’s The Story, Wishbone?]
Title Text: okay technically an angel dog, or not an angel dog but a dog spirit in a form that's...yeah I know you don't like it when I get technical about work

Gee, this would be an inconvenient time for a jump cut to another location next update, wouldn't it? :P
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Gbr23

Re: 2019/01/16 - What’s The Story, Wishbone?

Post by Gbr23 »

Yes please.
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Oh we're actually starting another arc right now. I just noticed that.

I still think one of the Barn cats is Max's mom.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Oh boy, I've been waiting for this. And I'm sure that everyone has hyped this up a little too much in our heads.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Aww, no more drugged out Peanut. I’m sure Tarot is thrilled.

I was wondering when this was coming. I knew it would be soon but I thought we had a little more time.

I love how everyone is giving Max those looks like Grape did when it happened. Still the best image ever.

On a diiferent note, it’s interesting to see Fido and Max or Fido with any of them. Aside from Sabrina Fido rarely interacts with them. The Spheres!
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

WOOO!! Sto-ry! Sto-ry!
To be honest, I didn't have faith that this would be brought up again thinking instead it would be left to the readers' imagination. However, since it's the start of a new arc that indicates we're about to get so many details (then again, the shortest arc is two strips...)
fenrirblack wrote:On a diiferent note, it’s interesting to see Fido and Max or Fido with any of them. Aside from Sabrina Fido rarely interacts with them. The Spheres!
Perhaps your sphere theory isn't as robust as you thought.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

The whole local pet community is in the spa, so it makes sense for the sphere's to overlap. Besides, we know that Grape and Sabrina are friends, and Fido definitely knows the gang here. Come to think of it, since he's on the outs with the whole GoDC, we don't really know what Fido does with his time off.

(Thanks to the strip title, I have that theme song running through my head again, and now to inflict it on everyone :P )

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Champion Wallace wrote:WOOO!! Sto-ry! Sto-ry!
To be honest, I didn't have faith that this would be brought up again thinking instead it would be left to the readers' imagination. However, since it's the start of a new arc that indicates we're about to get so many details (then again, the shortest arc is two strips...)
Rick said once upon a time on Twitter that he originally had no intention of following up but the fan base desperately wanted it so he caved.
Champion Wallace wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:On a diiferent note, it’s interesting to see Fido and Max or Fido with any of them. Aside from Sabrina Fido rarely interacts with them. The Spheres!
It’s not as much a theory but an illustration of the common interactions of the characters which mostly are limited to each individual sphere but is not to say that characters from different spheres cannot interact but it rarely happens.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

D-Rock wrote:[2019/01/16 - What’s The Story, Wishbone?]
Title Text: okay technically an angel dog, or not an angel dog but a dog spirit in a form that's...yeah I know you don't like it when I get technical about work

Gee, this would be an inconvenient time for a jump cut to another location next update, wouldn't it? :P
D-Rock if you jinx this I swear. XD

But seriously, wasn’t expecting it to happen before the fanservice arc part ll ended. Wonder how far back this flashback will go though, think puppies and kittens may appear or more than likely it’s gonna be similarly aged characters?

Also, nice to know they managed to get Fido out of his ice cube, wonder how they managed to do that?
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Sabrina knows a tale she hasn’t heard
about her ex and his spectral friend;
a tale that will excite the hardest heart
unless, of course, the build up doesn’t end.
Fido’s kinda relaxed about all of this;
talk of ghosts and romances abound.
For ghosts, he probably recalls the old ship.
For romance? Well, he IS a good ol' Hound.
He’s told Grape this tale before, we see
but, for Peanut, this may be a first.
Are we finally going to have answers?
Is the tension just about to burst?
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:
Champion Wallace wrote:WOOO!! Sto-ry! Sto-ry!
Rick said once upon a time on Twitter that he originally had no intention of following up but the fan base desperately wanted it so he caved.
Champion Wallace wrote:
It’s not as much a theory but an illustration of the common interactions of the characters which mostly are limited to each individual sphere but is not to say that characters from different spheres cannot interact but it rarely happens.
I mean, Max needed some true focus on him either way. I’m not entirely sure Rick caved, he might have just realized he could kill two birds with one stone if he decided to explain why Rufus gave him that kiss.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I knew this story'd get told but I didn't think we'd get to it so soon. Nothin' like a good yarn when the action flags. Be nice seeing Rufus again, and here I thought Max was afraid of ghosts - "catnip courage", maybe...

...and why does Marvin come to mind? ;)
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

Gameb18oy wrote:
D-Rock wrote:[2019/01/16 - What’s The Story, Wishbone?]

D-Rock if you jinx this I swear. XD
This is Rick we're talking about. Max will be probably be just getting to the part that would confirm or deny fan suspicions and theories, and then Kari or the pups will cannonball into the pool or something.
Gameb18oy wrote:Also, nice to know they managed to get Fido out of his ice cube, wonder how they managed to do that?
Mungo probably just picked him up and put him in the pool of hot water.
Last edited by leinglo on Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Now's the time to get all your ideas, hopes, thoughts, and theories about what happened out of the way before the truth becomes canon. ;)

What are the odds Max will just lie about what really happened? :shock:

If it involved a slow-motion pillow fight, I think I'll lose it. :)
Tappy Too

Post by Tappy Too »

Oh hey, speaking of catnip benders...

I'm curious to see exactly how crazy this will get. Because like, how did Max and Rufus meet? Rufus lives on a farm way out of town. Unless on one day Rufus came into Babylon Gardens with his owner or something I can't think of a good reason with little explanation.

A little surprising to see that Fido's so intrigued-
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

I love the ref in the name for todays strip. It's a neat little thing. It's also very awesome how one thing leads to another in the spa. Very well done. :mrgreen:
I also bet Max was living on the farm before he was adopted.
Bandit1990 wrote:The whole local pet community is in the spa, so it makes sense for the sphere's to overlap. Besides, we know that Grape and Sabrina are friends, and Fido definitely knows the gang here. Come to think of it, since he's on the outs with the whole GoDC, we don't really know what Fido does with his time off.

(Thanks to the strip title, I have that theme song running through my head again, and now to inflict it on everyone :P )
We know that fido played along in one imagine arc. So he hangs around with them.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

HundKatzeMaus wrote:I love the ref in the name for todays strip. It's a neat little thing. It's also very awesome how one thing leads to another in the spa. Very well done. :mrgreen:
I also bet Max was living on the farm before he was adopted.
Bandit1990 wrote:The whole local pet community is in the spa, so it makes sense for the sphere's to overlap. Besides, we know that Grape and Sabrina are friends, and Fido definitely knows the gang here. Come to think of it, since he's on the outs with the whole GoDC, we don't really know what Fido does with his time off.

We know that fido played along in one imagine arc. So he hangs around with them.
I wouldn’t count the imagination arcs as hanging out or take it as a sign that they are all close buddies. Peanut just needed more actors for his shows and they got roped in like King and Bailey. I’m sure Fido hangs out with either Sabrina or just works out.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Tappy Too wrote:I'm curious to see exactly how crazy this will get. Because like, how did Max and Rufus meet? Rufus lives on a farm way out of town. Unless on one day Rufus came into Babylon Gardens with his owner or something I can't think of a good reason with little explanation.
Maybe it's from before his owner bought the farm?

I wonder if we'll find out about his ear too.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

This year has just been getting better and better. %300 better in my opinion. I was intently curious myself. Guess it's not just one of those small things. Don't stop, Rick! <3

Also like how it's transitioning over to another arc. Nicely done :D

I'm also amused that Sabrina and Fido are going to be listening in on this. Very amused. Like "This is why I dated/embarass/liked him infront of my new boyfriend" amused. Can't wait to hear some cracks from them two about Maxwell. Makes this arc even better.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

What may happen is that Max will spin a heroic tale, all malarkey and snarky suggests from Sabrina, only to have his epic exposed as a lie and a simpler truth revealed. Maybe even Rufus himself will drop in for a splash and another smooch.

I assume both Fido and Grape have a lot of the dirt on Maxwell from Sabrina. Sabrina, after all, is a sweet lady but she can be a little "catty." ;)
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I suspect Grape and Sabrina have been hanging out with Kitsune and Vix. Those eyes and lips are rather... foxy. x3
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Huh, you're back in the pool, Max. :P Bored? Maybe you're being inside the spa since some hours, if it's so, I could understand you. :) Oh, yes! Tell us about you and Rufus, I bet he knows you since when you were a kitten. :D You're being so evil now, Grape and Sabrina... :P Well, it was just a kiss on the cheek, probably Rufus was only happy to see Max again. ;) Tell us the story! :D
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Fido: I gotta tell this to the force, afterwards :3

Also, alternate title for the arc "The super juicy details of Maxwell insert last name here"
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think someone needs to explain to Grape that this is a difference between light teasing of your boyfriend and completely humiliating him... :?
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Whose to say she's going to return the favor someday? :3
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think you mean HE and if Max did try to do it I would imagine Grape would haul off and slap him. Double-standards and all of that.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I think you mean HE and if Max did try to do it I would imagine Grape would haul off and slap him. Double-standards and all of that.
Ok, my bad for being interpreted that way.

What i meant was that she's aware that Max is annoyed at times. Doesn't mean she doesn't do something good later on in return for putting up with her curious shinanigans. :3
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm hoping that it will be a very big gesture then. Since Sabrina won't have any problem telling anybody else. And I don't know about Fido.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, K9PD does have its gossips - as Sergeant Ralph reminded Fox when he disclosed that everybody in the force knew Sasha dumped him (as spread around by Kevin). Not sure who on the force would care about Max's reveal, though ... unless he tries to join the force someday.
TOPCATDIGIANIMEFAN

Post by TOPCATDIGIANIMEFAN »

I Think He Was Adopted By Rufus"
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

TOPCATDIGIANIMEFAN wrote:I Think He Was Adopted By Rufus"
... Digi, I’m not used to sharing one of your theories, though I would say something more akin to a guardian from afar
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm now along the lines of thinking that maybe Max WAS a barn cat before he was adopted and Rufus was his surrogate father figure as his own father didn't stick around and he needed a male presence in his life since all of the other barn cats were female including his mother.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Okay, let’s dissect this theory. Max was born on the farm, adopted by Rufus as a type of father figure, then left the farm, ended up in the pound, got adopted by Jeff and ___ years later Rufus kisses him on the cheek. First question that needs answering is how did he end up at the pound? Considering how far the farm is from anywhere, I doubt animal control would have picked him up. So that leaves us with two reasonable options for Max ending up at the pound. He was dumped in the river by a greedy farm hand after learning that Max was set to inherit the farm when his owner passed, was carried down stream where he washed ashore, met a sly alley cat who took him to the city only to be carried off by animal control after a disastrous musical number. The second option is that he was accidentally placed in a box meant for Goodwill, got lost in the city, met a pack of dogs who scam humans for the sake of their homeless owner, got adopted by a young heiress, was rescued by the same pack of dogs only to eventually save the aforementioned heiress from a corrupt gangster on a railroad track and after all that got picked up by animal control. I’m going to go with the first one because remember that the farm is several hours away from Babylon Gardens. :D
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:Okay, let’s dissect this theory. Max was born on the farm, adopted by Rufus as a type of father figure, then left the farm, ended up in the pound, got adopted by Jeff and ___ years later Rufus kisses him on the cheek. First question that needs answering is how did he end up at the pound? Considering how far the farm is from anywhere, I doubt animal control would have picked him up. So that leaves us with two reasonable options for Max ending up at the pound. He was dumped in the river by a greedy farm hand after learning that Max was set to inherit the farm when his owner passed, was carried down stream where he washed ashore, met a sly alley cat who took him to the city only to be carried off by animal control after a disastrous musical number. The second option is that he was accidentally placed in a box meant for Goodwill, got lost in the city, met a pack of dogs who scam humans for the sake of their homeless owner, got adopted by a young heiress, was rescued by the same pack of dogs only to eventually save the aforementioned heiress from a corrupt gangster on a railroad track and after all that got picked up by animal control. I’m going to go with the first one because remember that the farm is several hours away from Babylon Gardens. :D
Gonna just bring this up, it’s unclear if Max was ever in the pound, just that he had some friends that were in there. It makes it seem likely he was in there by association, but keep in mind, he could have met them after he got adopted or something. Now the possibility of him meeting a gang did get me thinking though. Very unlikely, but if Max did live on the streets as an alleycat for a bit, maybe we’ll finally see something of Joel’s Pets.

Also, Max’s name is oddly appropriate if he had a dog father. While not as bad as naming a dog Tiger, Max is more often a dog name I think
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Although it is true that we’ve had no real confirmation about Max’s pound friends, logically one can assume that he was in the pound for a portion of his life however small. The way Grape said it “he and the pound cats” makes it sound like he would have been in the pound to meet “the pound cats”. Would they still be pound cats if they were no longer in the pound? Grape was in the pound and Max is way more of a wild card. Remember he didn’t use to wear his collar so the chances are strong. He might have ended up in the pound after being adopted by Jeff which is also likely considering Jeff’s oblivious nature.

Returning to the question at hand, the most obvious reason for Max and Rufus to know each other is that Rueben came to visit Earl and Rufus tagged along. Whether Rufus and Max went on a Disney-esque adventure is still debatable.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

My money is still on Maxie being a barn cat that grew up with Rufus who was a father figure of a sort. :3

How he went from there to Babylon is anyone's guess.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

It would also make Max being surprised it was that Rufus make sense as well, Max likely hasn’t seen him since he was a kitten, so he’d remember them being bigger if nothing else. Shame almost all the Housepets are roughly the same age, I just realized it’s a bit of a shame we don’t get to see any interactions between different pet generations.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Oh if only Rufus was still alive. To be fair though, he didn't actually LOOK like he was that old and we only heard it from word-of-mouth that he was. I guess him passing away was the only way to for it to make sense that he was old. Though if he was like a father-figure to Max he shouldn't have been that old since I assume the pets are around the age being very young adults to late teenagers. Maybe grandfather-figure is what we are looking for?
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

is this something a father-figure would do? I can see why there is an appeal for Rufus to be a surrogate father for Max because it makes for a compelling story but there really is nothing there that would emphasize that.
Attachments
Don’t_Read_Into_It_–_Housepets_.png
Don’t_Read_Into_It_–_Housepets_.png (97.82 KiB) Viewed 15309 times
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:is this something a father-figure would do? I can see why there is an appeal for Rufus to be a surrogate father for Max because it makes for a compelling story but there really is nothing there that would emphasize that.
I mean, yeah actually. While I think a hug might have been better with the situation at hand, I remember my dad giving me a kiss on the forehead when I was about to go to bed as a kid. I wouldn’t be surprised if Rick was implying romance considering he didn’t intend that to be anything big, but it’s believable enough if Rufus ends up being Max’s kinda dad