2019/01/02 - Neck-id

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Champion Wallace

Re: 2019/01/02 - Neck-id

Post by Champion Wallace »

So, the title is highlighting the "neck" part of "naked", but I noticed it's also very similar to "New-kid", Great Kitsune's nickname (just change the c to a w and move the dash one over). Is that supposed to be a double pun, or am I finding meaning where really there was none.
drivernjax wrote:Am I seeing things or has Bailey lost a little weight. She seems a WEE bit thinner than she was the last time I saw her.
Not exactly. Bailey's torso is a bit hourglass shaped seen for example in Here And There And Everywhere. Because we can only see her top half it creates the illusion that the lines continue which would make her rather skinny. Basically, she looks like she's lost weight because you can't see the weight below the water.
The cape comes with the promotion.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Now this is very interesting. :3

So he's here now to piggy-back King for a bit. Is he also here to tease something?

Also, King should totally be use to this now. To be fair, though, I could imagine a corgi being sensitive to being exposed :3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Argent

Post by Argent »

Boy has King ever gone native. I bet he'd have been totally agreeing with Kitsune about the neck thing back when he was Joel.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I don’t feel like I’ve ever related to King more than I do now. I know the feeling when you want to be left alone then someone you only sort of know shows up and starts talking and touching you like your best friends. Personal space please. Plus when your trying to prove a point and someone says something that is super unhelpful and you’re like “not helping.”
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
MrBlueSky7

Post by MrBlueSky7 »

Plot Twist: Kitsune is the one who caused the Snowstorm and will keep it going until New Year's.

Also, no joke, but I thought Bailey was Fox for a minute there...
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I made the same momentary mis-identity, too, Blue sky. Chalk it up to bifocals in my case.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

"I ship everyone"

*Grape walks in*

"... Ah. The purple one. The destroyer of all realities."

Though it's touching that Kitsune might be looking out for everyone. x3
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

This is pretty much exactly what I love about Kitsune :lol:
So happy to see this interaction :D
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

King, you and Bailey could always go to the private snuggle baths, or wear a swim collar like I do. :P
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

More Sauna-dventures! King and Kitsune have an interesting dynamic, I guess given King's extensive experience with the deviousness of other demi-gods. And, of course, there's that mocking statue to reminds him that GK is always around (privacy and such). Bailey, on the other hand, seems to have always regarded ol'Nine Tails as essentially benevolent. She even suggested he babysit the puppies while she and King had a night out. (I'd still love to see THAT happen!). ;)
Stroopwafel_Falafel

Re: 2018/01/02 - Neck-id

Post by Stroopwafel_Falafel »

fenrirblack wrote:
Gameb18oy wrote: ... by the way, a single thought came to me, you think Kari might be in the Spa somewhere? I think it be a waste not to have the two characters mildly aware of the fourth wall able to talk at least once
Kitsune: Hello.
Kari: Hey there.

Kitsune: Hello there.
Kari: General Kitsune.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Don't disturb our happy married couple, Great Kitsune, come on. ;) Seems that you like naked parties and you ship everyone... Curious tastes. :P It's not something easy make King blush. :D I kinda agree with Great Kitsune, that's something that sounded unusual for me at the beginning. As ex-human, maybe King still has a different idea of being naked... :P Okay, Bailey isn't helping with that statement, but actually, she's right. There's too much civilization in you pets. ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Kitsune sure does look buff today. Even more so than usual.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Actually, Cesco, I think King ALWAYS feels naked around GK - and you're right - it's probably some kind of vestigial human thing...like not licking puppies.
TeflonCougar

Post by TeflonCougar »

Kind of rude to just slip yourself between a married couple like that.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Trying not to play favorites, guess. ;) Still, GK's never been one for boundaries....
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Okay, are they still in the wading pool because it's hard to tell? The background looks like the wading pool but at the same time it looks like there is a lot of steam. Not to mention the pool got a lot bigger. Hopefully in the next scene the pups will pop up and attack Kitsune.

Olive: "Daddy, that guy looks like the weird statue that you yell at in the closet."
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Kitsune sure does look buff today. Even more so than usual.
I know right. I think he's trying to immediate King or just adding a little extra for the fans. :)
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

NHWestoN wrote:Trying not to play favorites, guess. ;) Still, GK's never been one for boundaries....
Every time somebody calls him GK, I think, "If he ever gets a nickname among the mortals, it should be Chesterton."
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Nobody wrote:
NHWestoN wrote:Trying not to play favorites, guess. ;) Still, GK's never been one for boundaries....
Every time somebody calls him GK, I think, "If he ever gets a nickname among the mortals, it should be Chesterton."
Every time somebody calls him GK, I roll my eyes. :roll:
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

fenrirblack wrote:Every time somebody calls him GK, I roll my eyes.
"Great Kitsune" iz jst 2 mny char 4 de IM gen :P :lol:

(I feel like I probably did that wrong somehow)

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

You probably did it a lot better than I would have. :mrgreen:
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Bandit1990 wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:Every time somebody calls him GK, I roll my eyes.
"Great Kitsune" iz jst 2 mny char 4 de IM gen :P :lol:

I understood half of that. Codes were never my speciality. ;)
pattern recognition yes, but not code.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

GK is indeed easier after a time. Or just call him Kitsune. I'm good with either.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Titanium Dragon

Post by Titanium Dragon »

Kitsune is not a good person. He's a trickster and he likes messing with people. He claims to like mortals, but it's pretty obvious from his behavior that he likes screwing with people and just chooses people to target who, by and large, won't call him out and who are powerless to stop him from screwing with them. His behavior towards Pete and Dragon wasn't exactly great (in fact, he deliberately screwed them both over), he hasn't really been too great to King either (he treats him like a plaything - he might like his toy, but King does not like being toyed with), he messed with Tarot to take her down a peg (while using the excuse of "helping" Res...)...

King has every reason not to trust him, and not to feel gratitude towards him, because Kitsune is not a good person, is not his friend, and is not even remotely trustworthy. If Kitsune things messing with you would be funny, he will - and given that he's massively more powerful than mortals, there's not much his victims can do to stop him. In fact, we've consistently seen him punch down, not only at the mortals, but also at his players, Pete and Dragon.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

I must admit, Kitsune does seem more like a chaotic neutral than a chaotic good sometimes.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I'm going to call Great Kitsune "GK" just to watch Fen roll his eyes again …. ;) ;)
Last edited by NHWestoN on Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Titanium Dragon wrote:Kitsune is not a good person.
In fact, we've consistently seen him punch down, not only at the mortals, but also at his players, Pete and Dragon.
And I feel like you're drastically misreading Kitsune's motives and actions both in terms of what we've been shown and in terms of Rick's style of character writing and stated goals for this comic
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Obbl wrote:
In fact, we've consistently seen him punch down, not only at the mortals, but also at his players, Pete and Dragon.
And I feel like you're drastically misreading Kitsune's motives and actions both in terms of what we've been shown and in terms of Rick's style of character writing and stated goals for this comic
I wouldn’t outright say he’s a good person either, as the third member of the U&U group, it did strike me he has a bit of an ego and has trouble actually awknowledging he had an indirect role in making King miserable. He may never mean harm, but he and his friends I think Rick has tried to make clear we’re likely the least responsible of the demigods of Heaven. If he stays around, he does need to be taught some level of humility... and as I write this I’m mentally groaning, did Rick intentionally give GK a god complex? Because I just realized a lot of his attitude can be explained by that
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Like, if your thoughts on the demigods are "they can cause no mortal's life to be at all 'worse' for any length of time, else they are doing wrong", then yes, they are generally bad people.
If your thoughts are closer to "life is sometimes hard, and as long as what they do works toward the mortals' benefit in the end while keeping the means within some reasonable boundaries of life's general difficulties, they're doing okay", then they are relatively okay people.
The second is basically my judgement paradigm for the Celestials, and for me even Pete really only pushes the envelope at the end when he disappears Bailey to Australia. They all seem to have a positive end goal for the mortals involved, and Kitsune and Dragon seem to really keep the means by which they achieve those ends well within the bounds of normal life stuff. So, no problems from me
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

From my perspective - Kitsune wanted to help, but due to the merkiness of the dragon/pete relationship, it was assumed that he wasn't ready to truly interfere until the players actively started going against them in a way Kitsune was called into action. King and Tarot saw to that.
valerio

Post by valerio »

Titanium Dragon wrote:Kitsune is not a good person. He's a trickster and he likes messing with people. He claims to like mortals, but it's pretty obvious from his behavior that he likes screwing with people and just chooses people to target who, by and large, won't call him out and who are powerless to stop him from screwing with them. His behavior towards Pete and Dragon wasn't exactly great (in fact, he deliberately screwed them both over), he hasn't really been too great to King either (he treats him like a plaything - he might like his toy, but King does not like being toyed with), he messed with Tarot to take her down a peg (while using the excuse of "helping" Res...)...

King has every reason not to trust him, and not to feel gratitude towards him, because Kitsune is not a good person, is not his friend, and is not even remotely trustworthy. If Kitsune things messing with you would be funny, he will - and given that he's massively more powerful than mortals, there's not much his victims can do to stop him. In fact, we've consistently seen him punch down, not only at the mortals, but also at his players, Pete and Dragon.
With due respect, you missed by several miles.
Kitsune is NOT what you are describing. It's as if you stopped reading the comic at the level of the illustrations skipping the dialogues.
True, there is still much to be known about him and his relation with D&P, he could be a relative for what we know, but as Game Master his work was to keep the game safe, meaning no harm to the mortals. He worked so that, even passing through a path of suffering, King came to full realization about his new position as dog, not just acceptance and misery. Had Kitsune wanted to brawl in, he'd just have *poof*ed up a whole cozy life for the corgi. Instead, he did what was necessary to help King find his own path, stepping in only when Pete started getting rough.
Kitsune is one of those superior entities who live by wisdom, but with his own quirks thrown in to make things fun. He messed up with Lester, but he would've never hurt him. He ships everyone but he wouldn't change one's mind to push one towards another -example: if he shipped for Mungo and Fox the worst I can imagine is him create a 'convenient' accident to get them closer and then wait than they decided to take advantage of that moment.
Kitsune is more like a guardian angel, without being preachy or boring. Take for example when he actually intervened to offer King the final chance to either change life and be back to human without unresolved issues or stay a dog and face the new life King had built himself with its benefits and its complications.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

In essence, Kitsune is just like Clarence from "It's a Wonderful Life", but less boring and helpless. :mrgreen:
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

fenrirblack wrote:Every time somebody calls him GK, I roll my eyes. :roll:
Why is that?
Bandit1990 wrote:"Great Kitsune" iz jst 2 mny char 4 de IM gen :P :lol:

In a probably rather unimportant thread, I once wrote both "be kind and respectful" and "Please do your best to post legibly and coherently," but what in the world could I possibly have meant?

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Dissension wrote:In a probably rather unimportant thread, I once wrote both "be kind and respectful" and "Please do your best to post legibly and coherently," but what in the world could I possibly have meant?
Post with your feet. Not your hands. They are used for hiding your (or someone else's) eyes.

And with all the seriousness of our posts: Don't be a jerk!
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Dissension wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:Every time somebody calls him GK, I roll my eyes. :roll:
Why is that?
I’m not sure but every time I see “GK” I’m reminded of something. Like it’s too similar to “DK” or “GS” or something I can’t quite make out. This blurry image in my head. Something about those two letters. :?
valerio wrote:
Titanium Dragon wrote:Kitsune is not a good person. He's a trickster and he likes messing with people. He claims to like mortals, but it's pretty obvious from his behavior that he likes screwing with people and just chooses people to target who, by and large, won't call him out and who are powerless to stop him from screwing with them. His behavior towards Pete and Dragon wasn't exactly great (in fact, he deliberately screwed them both over), he hasn't really been too great to King either (he treats him like a plaything - he might like his toy, but King does not like being toyed with), he messed with Tarot to take her down a peg (while using the excuse of "helping" Res...)...

With due respect, you missed by several miles.
Kitsune is NOT what you are describing. It's as if you stopped reading the comic at the level of the illustrations skipping the dialogues.
True, there is still much to be known about him and his relation with D&P, he could be a relative for what we know, but as Game Master his work was to keep the game safe, meaning no harm to the mortals. He worked so that, even passing through a path of suffering, King came to full realization about his new position as dog, not just acceptance and misery. Had Kitsune wanted to brawl in, he'd just have *poof*ed up a whole cozy life for the corgi. Instead, he did what was necessary to help King find his own path, stepping in only when Pete started getting rough.
Kitsune is one of those superior entities who live by wisdom, but with his own quirks thrown in to make things fun. He messed up with Lester, but he would've never hurt him. He ships everyone but he wouldn't change one's mind to push one towards another -example: if he shipped for Mungo and Fox the worst I can imagine is him create a 'convenient' accident to get them closer and then wait than they decided to take advantage of that moment.
Kitsune is more like a guardian angel, without being preachy or boring. Take for example when he actually intervened to offer King the final chance to either change life and be back to human without unresolved issues or stay a dog and face the new life King had built himself with its benefits and its complications.
Gameb18oy wrote:
I wouldn’t outright say he’s a good person either, as the third member of the U&U group, it did strike me he has a bit of an ego and has trouble actually awknowledging he had an indirect role in making King miserable. He may never mean harm, but he and his friends I think Rick has tried to make clear we’re likely the least responsible of the demigods of Heaven. If he stays around, he does need to be taught some level of humility... and as I write this I’m mentally groaning, did Rick intentionally give GK a god complex? Because I just realized a lot of his attitude can be explained by that
Let's take everyone's points and analyze them from the beginning to truly get a better understanding of Kitsune's character. Titanium Dragon says that he is not a good person and likes to screw with everyone from Pete to Dragon to King to Lester. To be honest that is a pessimistic way of looking at it but not entirely wrong when it came to Pete and Dragon. Pete was/is a jerk who tortured King and needed a good dose of reality. Dragon was similar but not nearly as bad but had her own personal problems when it came to using her avatar for her own personal gain. Not to mention her involvement with the tribes of 5000 BC. Kitsune came in and did in fact manupulated them and admitted as much. The whether or not this makes him a bad person is a matter of perspective. One could see Kitsune's actions as heroic that he was protecting the mortals and the world from Dragon and Pete's childish antics. Or could see him as a trickster playing them for his own personal amusement. King on the other hand was different. As the GM he did strive to protect the mortals but making rules such as "no messing with time" (ignored) and "only animals are allowed as avatars" (ignored). It is true that they were punished but as far as punishments go it could be worse.
Kitsune did help King no matter how you look at it. Joel's life sucked and for better or worse he was better off as King. In the end, Kitsune did give him two options, one to return to his human life with a clean slate or be with his friends and wife and have not only the life that he was happier with but he fought so hard for in the first place. He didn't have to do any of that and leave him alone but remember that Pete turned him back to human and Bahamut gave him the watch that allowed him to remain in dog form (It got really complicated by the end). And he did save King from Pete's grip back in the summer of '10. Justice is a complex subject because we get into a gray area of when is it alright to take Justice into one's own hands, Kitsune set the stage to punish Pete (and Dragon) by setting them up. Pete did terrible things and got no real punishment and Kitusne (and Cerberus) knew it.
Anyway, Lester is an odd take. Clearly he needed to be taken down a few pegs but did Kitsune go too far? True what he did was extreme but had no real consequences outside of the fact that Lester will most likely be scarred for life. Why did Kitsune go out of his way to mess with Lester is still unknown? Was it for kicks and giggles or to help Lester get over his malicious attitude and preserve his friendship with Joey and Dallas. If we could look into the crystal ball and see what would happen if Kitsune had not intervened then we would know.

Going off what Gameb18oy said about a god complex is another thing I want to touch on. Gods in fiction (at least what I read) follow a similar pattern as Kitsune. Dare I say it, the Percy Jackson series, had a similar character dynamic. Athena comes to mind as someone (spoiler alert) who manipulated and used the heroes to fight the giants and save the world from destruction. They weren't happy about being used but it was for the better good. It's one of those things in writing where you have gods and you have to decide what kind of gods they are. Good, bad, destructive, malevolent, or trying to sustain order. The last one is more Kitsune's thing. Everything he did was to keep the world the same and to keep Pete and Dragon from doing any long term damage. King was the only real exception but I already said that it was for his own good (whether or not he should be grateful is still debatable). There is another rule in dealing with Gods that says that they can't actively interfere with the affairs of mortals. This rule is vague and often ignored. With Tarot and Res it was more that Kitsune could not directly interfere with their choices or force them to do anything about the Forgotten. (That is something else I want to point out. At no point did Kitsune force anyone to do anything, he pushed them but they were still free to choose what they wanted to do.) But in Kitsune's defense he did show up and convince Res to fight the Forgotten and keep it from doing who knows what to the world. Knocking Tarot down a few notches was something that maybe also needed to be done for her own sake and for the sake of the others. I mean she was ready to kill Keene to keep him away from the Mana not to mention she hurt Peanut. Kitsune said when we first met him that if it is for one's own good they can mess with you whether you like it or not. One could say that only applies to the game but I think he was referring to the God's powers in general. Bahamut said something similar but you can look that up on your own. But by that logic Kitsune is a good person because if he was bad then one he probably wouldn't have gone out of his way to help the characters and two wouldn't have been able to do them "real" harm.
All in all it really is a matter of perspective and how you look at something. We talked about this in my non-fiction class about reading something through a "lens." If you look for the negative that is what you will find but if you look for the positive then you can always find it.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

'Kind and respectful" does have a lot to commend it. So does "be not a jerk"....
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Gbr23 wrote:Kitsune: The voice of the audience ... most of the times
Between all of us we probably do ship everyone, though that's where the similarity ends. Sure we make quips from time to time about the characters being naked, but that's just because we're playing along with characters like Grape and Bino making a big deal out of being collarless.
Iceheart wrote:Kitsune supports polygamy
I interpreted that not as he ships anyone with everyone else, but instead that for everyone there is one other person he ships them with. That is, all of the pairs Great Kitsune ships put together will have everyone represented at least once.
fenrirblack wrote:I don’t feel like I’ve ever related to King more than I do now. I know the feeling when you want to be left alone then someone you only sort of know shows up and starts talking and touching you like your best friends. Personal space please. Plus when your trying to prove a point and someone says something that is super unhelpful and you’re like “not helping.”
Because of how pets in this society view the role of concealing ones' neck, would this be considered inappropriate contact by Great Kitsune?
The cape comes with the promotion.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Champion Wallace wrote:[
fenrirblack wrote:I don’t feel like I’ve ever related to King more than I do now. I know the feeling when you want to be left alone then someone you only sort of know shows up and starts talking and touching you like your best friends. Personal space please. Plus when your trying to prove a point and someone says something that is super unhelpful and you’re like “not helping.”
Because of how pets in this society view the role of concealing ones' neck, would this be considered inappropriate contact by Great Kitsune?
Any physical contact in inappropriate in my book. I usually go days if not weeks without physical contact with another living being.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

.... anddddd we're back at the title again.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:
Champion Wallace wrote:[
Any physical contact in inappropriate in my book. I usually go days if not weeks without physical contact with another living being.
... um, handshakes?