2018/12/28 - Solo Run

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2018/12/28 - Solo Run

Post by D-Rock »

[2018/12/28 - Solo Run]
Title Text: when dallas first got that snow jacket, he only cried for twenty minutes

Lester, you'll come to realize that the gods have a sense of humor. :twisted:
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Saturn381

Re: 2018/12/28 - Solo Run

Post by Saturn381 »

Looks like D&D night is going to get interesting.
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

Oooohhhh Lester, you sure are in for quite a ride
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I think I got whiplash from Kitsune's comment in the third panel. A Kitsune and Lester chapter, interesting combination but it works. Anything with Kitsune will be amazing.

I was wondering why Kitsune had this weird fascination with the dorks until I realized that he lost his gaming buddies so he had to find new ones.

Kitsune showing up is the real Christmas present. :D

Okay, someone has to explain the alt-text to me again. :?
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

I see that finger snap, and my first thought is "what did Lester do to deserve what is about to happen?" :lol:

Come to think of it, I think this is the first time we've seen Kitsune out and about purely to amuse himself.
Rorick

Post by Rorick »

God I hate DM's like Lester. I mean, really, what kind of sadistic.... you know... do you have to be in order to take actual enjoyment from actively trying to screw your players over? On a challenge run, sure, but I've always gotten the "overly sadistic DM" feel from Lester. I really hope Kitsune knocks him down a peg or five. I doubt it, but I can dream.

And on an unrelated note, holy mother of lurk, I really need to start logging in more.
MrBlueSky7

Post by MrBlueSky7 »

A soon to be Arc, right before New Year's??? Oh boy, I hope the Holiday gets acknowledged before they go any further...

But this should be interesting. GK doesn't strike me as the kind of fella to take over as DM since he's not running the show this time, but I wonder if he intends to stick around in Babylon Gardens, maybe serve as a potential babysitter to two certain Twin Kits. ;)
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

"Run along, I can handle game night with Lester."
I think I felt a chill go up my spine on that one.

I don't think I can handle this much irony.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

Lester is just asking for whatever he's about to get. :lol:
(I wonder if he'll come out of this still not believing in magic)

I would love it if Kitsune joined the regular gaming group.

I also need the alt-text explained, please :D

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
Tappy Too

Post by Tappy Too »

So I guess Kitsune's sticking around to be nerdy with the nerds. They still call him "new kid" as well. Why doesn't GK just come up with a fake name or something-

Since when was Lester "Dungeon Master"? Last time we saw them playing D&D it was Joey. Granted, that was like 9 years ago, but with my limited knowledge of D&D I've come to the suspicion that games or "campaigns" usually take a while.

That's a really cute jacket Dallas has. Can't imagine why he'd be crying about it.

I just noticed that all of the nerds have brown noses. I only just noticed because I was looking at GK's nose, which is black. Idk if there's any significance to it though.
RokukeShiba

Post by RokukeShiba »

Oh great so it's gonna be the Temple all over again? :\

I love the comic, but I dunno this whole magic and god thing is starting to overstay its welcome..

Still miffed we never saw Miles and Gales Thanksgiving
TheSilverFox51

Post by TheSilverFox51 »

Oh no... also is that a Christmas Story reference? or am I just dumb?
Allons-y
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Kitsune's smile isn't quite the same this time. It's more malevolent instead of the usual one that makes my heart melt. Although I love Lester in the third panel, "He he he, let me rub my hands together like a Bond villain."

Again the irony of this strip is overpowering.
RokukeShiba wrote:Oh great so it's gonna be the Temple all over again? :\

I love the comic, but I dunno this whole magic and god thing is starting to overstay its welcome..

Um, the magic parts are the best aspects of this comic. They give the comic it's unique texture and depth that allows it to stand out from all the others. Not the mention Kitsune is the best character and my one true love. If this comic was just about pets doing mundane things it would be "Garfield." You are correct about Miles and Gale, we got ripped off. ;)
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Oh, this I could watch all day.
Lester the jerk versus Great Kidsune.
He doesn’t know what trouble is…
it’s kinda just HIS whole biz.
He’s everywhere all at once,
a statue, a god and with a dunce;
he’s got reality on the run
as he steps out to have some fun.
Lester doesn’t know what he’s in for,
more trouble than he’s had before
as Joey and Dallas drop by the Spa
this will be his worst New Year by far...
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Lester will have the craziest D&D session of his life, or was it? Is Kitsune pretending to be a fox or a dog? He only has one tail so he's clearly making an effort, but his scarf also conceals his neck to the point that you can't tell he's not wearing a collar. Lester looks like he deserves to be put in his place here, but as the DM, he's in charge of what transpires. Great Kitsune might just be there to have fun playing modified v3.5 D&D (with a cosmic twist, of course).
Last edited by Champion Wallace on Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
The cape comes with the promotion.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Champion Wallace wrote:Lester will have the craziest D&D session of his life, or was a it?
Oh god, if he does the "or was it" thing at this end of this chapter, I think I might snap.
If Lester does manage to win, he'll probably end up with a golden statue as well.
Champion Wallace wrote:Is Kitsune pretending to be a fox or a dog? He only has one tail so he's clearly making an effort, but his scarf also conceals his neck to the point that you can't tell he's not wearing a collar.
I would assume he's still a fox because there would be no real payoff for pretending to be anything else. He's already disguised as a mortal so why hide the species too. He wasn't wearing a collar in the temple so....
Champion Wallace wrote:Great Kitsune might just be there to have fun playing modified v3.5 D&D (with a cosmic twist, of course).
I'm sure he's there to have fun, at Lester's expense.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
RokukeShiba

Post by RokukeShiba »

fenrirblack wrote:Kitsune's smile isn't quite the same this time. It's more malevolent instead of the usual one that makes my heart melt. Although I love Lester in the third panel, "He he he, let me rub my hands together like a Bond villain."

Again the irony of this strip is overpowering.
RokukeShiba wrote:Oh great so it's gonna be the Temple all over again? :\

Um, the magic parts are the best aspects of this comic. They give the comic it's unique texture and depth that allows it to stand out from all the others. Not the mention Kitsune is the best character and my one true love. If this comic was just about pets doing mundane things it would be "Garfield." You are correct about Miles and Gale, we got ripped off. ;)
Eh we could use more arcs with many of the other characters that are underused so far like Cory and Jessica.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

RokukeShiba wrote:
Eh we could use more arcs with many of the other characters that are underused so far like Cory and Jessica.
Jessica will have her time soon enough but Cory....why? :shock:
fenrirblack wrote:Image
Oh man, look how white Dallas was back then. He looked like a real Dalmatian. Now he just looks like he has a disease. :shock:
Okay, so I looked it up and apparently, Dallas is either a Lemon or Liver Dalmatian but I cannot tell which.
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

fenrirblack wrote:Um, the magic parts are the best aspects of this comic. They give the comic it's unique texture and depth that allows it to stand out from all the others. Not the mention Kitsune is the best character and my one true love. If this comic was just about pets doing mundane things it would be "Garfield."
Nothing wrong with mundane. In fact, mundane is kind of what I was expecting way back when Housepets first caught my interest, and when the supernatural elements first appeared, my reaction was basically "Woah, woah, woah, what? Where did this come from?"

Since then, though, I'll admit it's grown on me. Probably something to do with the magic angle having given us some of the best characters and character developments in the whole comic.
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

Oh Lester if you only knew....if you only knew... :?
I wonder if Kitsune will at one point be the GM for the Nerds. Could be quite the experience for them :lol:

Aside from that, I wonder how they expect to get to the spa or if they will end up like Fido :shock:
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

When I get excited about a strip I post a lot. Nothing excites me like Kitsune. :D
I find it interesting how Dallas has this think coat while both Joey and Kitsune are just wearing scarves. I mean really.... :P
I'm getting a kinda "Christmas Carol" vibe from this scene. Like by the end of this chapter Lester will learn the true meaning of D&D. :roll:
leinglo wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:Um, the magic parts are the best aspects of this comic. They give the comic it's unique texture and depth that allows it to stand out from all the others. Not the mention Kitsune is the best character and my one true love. If this comic was just about pets doing mundane things it would be "Garfield."
Nothing wrong with mundane. In fact, mundane is kind of what I was expecting way back when Housepets first caught my interest, and when the supernatural elements first appeared, my reaction was basically "Woah, woah, woah, what? Where did this come from?"

Since then, though, I'll admit it's grown on me. Probably something to do with the magic angle having given us some of the best characters and character developments in the whole comic.
My interest in the comic came from when I saw Thomas get turned into a camel (that's how i found it. someone shared that scene on twitter). After that I read the temple crashers arc and enjoyed it then the K9 arc which was funny. After that my obsession was born when I started reading King's entire story line. The mundane stuff was/is funny but the fantasy was what capture and still to this day holds my interest and passion in the comic.
HundKatzeMaus wrote:Oh Lester if you only knew....if you only knew... :?
I wonder if Kitsune will at one point be the GM for the Nerds. Could be quite the experience for them :lol:

Aside from that, I wonder how they expect to get to the spa or if they will end up like Fido :shock:
Either it is happening before they got snow in, like while the K9's are plotting their grand scheme to capture Keene, those two are heading there. Or Kitsune made a path for them so he can get some alone time with Lester.
bjchan95

Post by bjchan95 »

Lester has no idea he's about to go on a magic(k)al adventure of whimsy :lol:
I'm very active on the Housepets! wikia, I've created a lot of articles and help keep it up-to-date! Come and help support us! http://www.housepetscomic.wikia.com
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Oh boy everyone is going to have a fun time. And by fun, I mean most likely terrifying.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Kinda wish Joey and Dallas would stay. Maybe they don't recognize GK without a Hawaiian shirt. Well, gonna definitely be a "new" year for Lester.
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

They’re probably unaware he's really a demigod.

There's that grin. Lester's in for it.
HundKatzeMaus wrote:Aside from that, I wonder how they expect to get to the spa or if they will end up like Fido :shock:
What happened to Fido, happened because he was wet. They'll be fine.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

More spa shinanigans. Sweet :3

Calling it: He's going to make Lester super naked.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
CanzetYote

Post by CanzetYote »

Tappy Too wrote: That's a really cute jacket Dallas has. Can't imagine why he'd be crying about it.
Tears of joy?
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

Macsen wrote:
HundKatzeMaus wrote:Aside from that, I wonder how they expect to get to the spa or if they will end up like Fido :shock:
So...you want to tell me, because Fido was wet, he was completely useless? :P
(Now I had to make that reference :lol: )
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

This should be fun.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

HundKatzeMaus wrote:
Macsen wrote:
So...you want to tell me, because Fido was wet, he was completely useless? :P
(Now I had to make that reference :lol: )
Everyone was useless. Fido just jumped into the fire (or ice in this case) first. :3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

GameCobra wrote: Everyone was useless. Fido just jumped into the fire (or ice in this case) first. :3
I mean... Mungo would have been competent, but Ralph kept him from bringing in his radio
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

"useless" like foxes … heh, heh, heh. ;) Jes'guardin' the hot water here, Sarge, jes'guardin' the water. Evidence, yah know. ;)
vulpinator

Post by vulpinator »

“Someone call for an emergency backup player?”
https://youtu.be/n3wtmrZ8DS8
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Oh, good to see what happens with Joey and his weird friends. :P Lester is the weirder, actually... You really renounce this unique opportunity of the spa for an usual game night like the previous ones? :roll: Nice to see again Great Kitsune in disguise, thanks for your help and for staying with that stubborn of Lester. ;) Huh, he's such a fair player... :| Let's give him a lesson about how to do hard playing. 8-)
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

NHWestoN wrote:Kinda wish Joey and Dallas would stay. Maybe they don't recognize GK without a Hawaiian shirt. Well, gonna definitely be a "new" year for Lester.
purple plaid shirt
drivernjax

Post by drivernjax »

I LOVE Kitsune. He's the perfect example of the mischievous fox of Japanese folklore. The smile he has in the last panel of this page is proof of that.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:
NHWestoN wrote:Kinda wish Joey and Dallas would stay. Maybe they don't recognize GK without a Hawaiian shirt. Well, gonna definitely be a "new" year for Lester.
purple plaid shirt
... out of curiousity... does savestate ever... not feel like it’s crowbarring in video game references? I swear, the artwork is decent, but I can’t get into as the dialogue... it feels kinda like Big Bang theory in that it seems like references to stuff nerds like is funny on its own
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Perhaps. Part of the fun of the last "temple crashers" was seeing the members of "Team Nerd" develop personalities beyond their rather earlier muppetish flattened characters. I remembered thinking at the time after GK got them all tied in multi-dimensional knots that "this crew and Kitsune may have some unfinished business." So I was a little disappointed when Dallas and Joey departed. I could seen the four of them out on a real "hair-raiser", ending with Lester getting a pie in the face, Dallas getting a reassuring Kitsune cuddle (which I know at least one of our colleagues would find enthralling), and maybe Squeak and Joey gaining a little self-described.

But I'm not doing well on my "Predik-Rick Storylines Radar" lately .......... ;)
Brighttail

Post by Brighttail »

I haven't been this giddy to see Kitsune in some time. Such perfect dialogue. "Perish the thought. Let's ensure it is anything but!"

Lester has no clue the perils of the Kitsune box he hath just opened. I can see it now...

Lester: "muffins and cookies it a critical fail, oh well let me just reroll that."
Kitsune: "Oh a critical fail again, that is double the trouble" *SNAP*
Lester: "Aaaaaieeeeeeeeeeeeee it burns!"
Kitsune: "Care to try another reroll for triple the fun?"
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

I like how Lester is so into D&D that his first response to Kitsune is "ready to get creamed" and not something like "what are you doing in my house". Then again, with how hard it is to find new players his reaction isn't that unrealistic.
fenrirblack wrote:
Champion Wallace wrote:Lester will have the craziest D&D session of his life, or was a it?
Oh god, if he does the "or was it" thing at this end of this chapter, I think I might snap.
If Lester does manage to win, he'll probably end up with a golden statue as well.
Champion Wallace wrote:Is Kitsune pretending to be a fox or a dog? He only has one tail so he's clearly making an effort, but his scarf also conceals his neck to the point that you can't tell he's not wearing a collar.
I would assume he's still a fox because there would be no real payoff for pretending to be anything else. He's already disguised as a mortal so why hide the species too. He wasn't wearing a collar in the temple so....
Champion Wallace wrote:Great Kitsune might just be there to have fun playing modified v3.5 D&D (with a cosmic twist, of course).
I'm sure he's there to have fun, at Lester's expense.
I was confused at first because words like winning or losing don't really apply to a DM. It's not a perfect analogy, but it's kinda like how bizarre it would be to spectate a soccer game and bet on the referee. That's not to say there's no meaning to success and failure. Generally speaking a DM is happy when the players are happy because that means things went according to plan (or hilariously diverted from the plan). However, I realized that Lester isn't a normal DM; he has a clear goal of killing off player characters. In that sense if Kitsune's character survives than Lester will have "lost". It may be foolish to say Lester is on par with a demigod, but I think he is enough of a nerd to know more about D&D than Kitsune. It's possible Kitsune could magic the dice rolls to go his way, but he's still confined by the rules of the game and Lester should know those by heart. If worst comes to worst, there is a rule in the Dungeon Masters' Guide on page 6 that in layman's terms says the DM's word supersedes the rulebooks. It's basically the nuclear option, but it's within the rules (whether it's within his principles in a different question) for Lester to dish out literally inescapable death to the player characters.
The cape comes with the promotion.