2018/12/17 - Dramatic Reveal

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Re: 2018/12/17 - Dramatic Reveal

Post by Gameb18oy »

Buster wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:I wouldn't say that he is actually the antagonist. Just that he doesn't think before he does stuff.

And then tries to throw money at the problem to fix it. Maybe Breel will be his conscious.
well considering the definition of antagonist is simply, "opposes the protagonist" it's possible to be one entirely unintentionally, and doesn't actually require a goal or defined alignment, only that they're doing something the protagonist (a role collectively held by the K9 unit currently) would oppose.

what their moral alignment might be, and whether or not they will be overcome is often assumed to be inherent to the role but are not actually requirements.
Thank you for bringing up the definition, that’s kinda why I brought up the idea Sasha could be the main antagonist, depends on who the focus of this arc is, the police dog’s as a whole, or Fox specifically
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

Gr8fulFox wrote:
HundKatzeMaus wrote:but now I do wonder who owns Ralph, Kevin, and Mungo. Do they have owners or are they property of the police station?
That's an interesting question; are there more families with their own story arcs that the Housepets! UI can explore, or are these dogs little more than tools; mass produced/bred, specifically for the benefit of local police departments?
Believe it or not, but I was really thinking about the last one. Depending on the answer Ralph, Kevin, and Mungo could be quite tragic in some way or another.
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

Kevin has a surname, so we can assume he has a family.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Sleet, you're missing the point, the roles of protagonist and antagonist don't require the archetypes of hero and villan be present at all, in any form, let alone filled by said characters. an antagonist can just as easily be a villan, a hero, the opposite corner of a love triangle, the straight man in a comedy routine, the fool if the straight man is your protagonist, a monster, the monster's victim, the weather, or a potted plant.

all that's actually required is that the protagonist and antagonist be in opposition in some way, which could be as grandiose as a hero/villain story, or as minor as character A disliking the color of character B's shirt, as long as you can build a story around it. which side comes out 'on top', the stakes if there are any at all, and the archetypes of the pair, have nothing to do with the two roles.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
TeflonCougar

Post by TeflonCougar »

Keene drives off the board.

Hits the water.

We see he is still in the bay as his cars sinks and everything after the murder attempt was his potential life flashing before his eyes. His eyes close. The water embraces him. Housepets reaches its finale. End series.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Wouldn't diving in like that roast Keene like it roasted Kevin when he dove in?
Different pool.
TeflonCougar wrote:Keene drives off the board.

Hits the water.

We see he is still in the bay as his cars sinks and everything after the murder attempt was his potential life flashing before his eyes. His eyes close. The water embraces him. Housepets reaches its finale. End series.
You are Patrick Duffy and I claim my oil millions.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

...and "Mods vs Members 5: Topcounter" ends with Members in triumph 'cause this Forum also evaporates !!! Ha!! ;)
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Buster wrote:Sleet, you're missing the point
Actually, it seems like Sleet understood your point perfectly and was only adding to it. There's also an archetype called the "anti-hero" which is when the protagonist has a moral alignment that is traditionally considered bad or villain like. Much in the same way, Keene can be thought of as the antagonist of this arc but with a moral alignment that is much more good than your traditional villain. Hence "anti-villain"
Sleet wrote:if you want to think of it that way.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Wouldn't diving in like that roast Keene like it roasted Kevin when he dove in?
That's only if this pool is as hot as the other one. Since this one is intended to be jumped into instead of eased into, I'd think they'd keep it at a lower temperature.
Buster wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:I wouldn't say that he is actually the antagonist. Just that he doesn't think before he does stuff.

And then tries to throw money at the problem to fix it. Maybe Breel will be his conscious.
well considering the definition of antagonist is simply, "opposes the protagonist" it's possible to be one entirely unintentionally, and doesn't actually require a goal or defined alignment, only that they're doing something the protagonist (a role collectively held by the K9 unit currently) would oppose.

what their moral alignment might be, and whether or not they will be overcome is often assumed to be inherent to the role but are not actually requirements.
I don't think Keene even fits into that broad definition. He hasn't done anything the K-9s are against. Ralph himself admitted the parking violation is just a farce to extract fine money. It's more like the K-9s are bounty hunters and Keene is their mark. But even then Keene hasn't actually done anything to avoid capture (for all we know he's spent this entire time climbing the ladder), so that would put him more in the role being the MacGuffin.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Obbl wrote:
Buster wrote:Sleet, you're missing the point
Actually, it seems like Sleet understood your point perfectly and was only adding to it.
I fail to see how classifying a character as an anti-villan counts as supporting the point that the antagonist need not be a hero or villan at all, classical modern anti or otherwise, to still be an antagonist. as said roles, while frequently overlapping, are separate entities and one should not assume they will always overlap. Every story has an antagonist, but competitively few stories have a villain of any description.
Obbl wrote:There's also an archetype called the "anti-hero" which is when the protagonist has a moral alignment that is traditionally considered bad or villain like.
no, that's when a HERO is a subversion of the traditional archetype. hero and protagonist are not synonyms any more than villan and antagonist are. even if we were to pretend hero-antagonists and villan-protagonists weren't a thing for the moment, claiming the two are one in the same is like claiming that because all oranges are fruit, all fruit are oranges, and then labeling a kumquat an 'anti-orange' because it's an atypical example of citrus fruit, when we were discussing a BANANA.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Buster wrote:
Obbl wrote:There's also an archetype called the "anti-hero" which is when the protagonist has a moral alignment that is traditionally considered bad or villain like.
no, that's when a HERO is a subversion of the traditional archetype.
...which is just about what I said? "The anti-hero must act in ways that are traditionally considered not heroic (i.e. bad or possibly even villain-like), and also must be a protagonist."
Like, we're all on the same page that hero ≠ protagonist and villain ≠ antagonist. But an anti-hero is a specific type of protagonist. And even if this isn't quite true in Literary Academia, it's how I've always seen it used and how I assume the lay-person views it. Thus the anti-villain would (by contrast) be a specific type of antagonist.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

except, it's not a specific type of protagonist, it's a specific type of hero! that archetype can be applied to a protagonist, antagonist, or secondary character equally. Any one of them could be a hero, villan, or a deconstruction or subversion of either, because protagonist and antagonist aren't archetypes they're roles! Protagonist is literally just 'the person the story is about' and antagonist 'someone/something they are in conflict with'. that's it. that's all they are. everything else is character traits and archetypes that have nothing to do with what defines either role, and there is not a single archetype or trait that's limited to one specific role.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Can you guys just drop this argument? I feel like you're talking in circles right now and you're not getting anywhere like that. Just enjoy the ferret willingly striping for us like a normal person would
Argent

Post by Argent »

But he doesn't have stripes!
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Gr8fulFox

Post by Gr8fulFox »

Gameb18oy wrote:Just enjoy the ferret willingly striping for us like a normal person would
And the inevitable Keene/Breel embrace in the pool.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

... and, do these myopic eyes deceive me, but is there a silhouette of a third character there?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Well the tags only say Mungo and Keene so there is a possibility more characters could appear. I know Breel is gonna be one of them.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Another "reveal", huh? I can't wait. Well, actually, I can …. ;)
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Is it because they are under the water? is that why there are no other tags on the page.

That tall shadow kinda looks like Zach with those long ears or one of demons from "Slightly Damned" or the Trix rabbit or the loch ness monster. It's like one of those optical illusions that are two different things depending on how you look at it.

But Keene wouldn't be alone in there.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

ZACH!! Wait, yeah, why not? Haven't seen him for a while; I could see him getting into the orbit of the newly lower-middle class ferrets. I need to be more open-minded.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

NHWestoN wrote:ZACH!! Wait, yeah, why not? Haven't seen him for a while; I could see him getting into the orbit of the newly lower-middle class ferrets. I need to be more open-minded.
Why are you saying ferrets plural? Keene is the only one trying to live like the common folk... and he’s obviously pretty bad about it considering he just bought a spa that might also be a tardis
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

We'll see if he can get better when he's caught and he tries to fight his way out of a ticket like he did before successfully which I assume was with money. Maybe Breel will talk some sense into him.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

Honestly the name doesn't fully fit, it isn't as dramatic as the big twist in some horror Italian plumber fangame
Rp characters
Greetings, fellow sapient beings.