2018/12/07 - Magically Delicious

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
fenrirblack

Re: 2018/12/07 - Magically Delicious

Post by fenrirblack »

Champion Wallace wrote:I don't think "shot himself in the foot" is the right expression for what Rick Griffin did. He clearly knew that setting up a Fox Sasha pairing only to have her date Kevin would be unpopular, going as far as saying on twitter "everyone will hate me" in jest. Keep in mind that as important as we feel as fans, we are still just fans and the story we want to unfold might not be the best story in a literary sense or even the story Mr. Griffin wants to tell.
I have to agree. Adding that dynamic adds a level of drama in the comic. If Fox and Sasha ended up together, happy ever after, would that be enough? This way it adds a thread throughout the series that we can get back too, exhibit A. Even though the Kevin and Sasha relationship is insignificant on the surface considering they're both secondary if not tertiary characters, have that makes Fox's character more dynamic. It allows him to grow as a character as he struggles with his feelings and yearning. Not to mention it gives the reader something to root for (if you're on the SS Fox&Sasha) which gets the reader coming back when Rick dangles that possibility in front of them. An example of this is "Regular Show" Mordecai and Margret, which was one of the best threads for years as a will they or won't they trope. I'd rather have Fox end up with someone else. Sasha is a fun character and works well with Kevin, they compliment each other. Fox needs a mate with depth and substance.
NHWestoN wrote:… and the poignancy of his unrequited affection is a central element in the charm of Fox's character. So, too, perhaps, is that Sasha is gently oblivious to his yearnings (while Kevin - the stinker - is NOT!).
There are moments when you wonder if Kevin is being sadistic at times when he flaunts the fact that he got Sasha and Fox didn't. That face in the water, it looks like he's staring at Sasha's back but he could be giving Fox this look of belligerence
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think Kevin might be just a little because that look in the bath was at Sasha and not Fox.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Belligerence … or mockery.

Remember when Fox returns, resolved to ask Sasha out, Kevin's not only claimed her, but belittles Fox by calling him "Twinkie". (True, this is the "pre-muscled-up Fox" but the point remains). Later, Fox takes an invite from Kevin to a cabaret, only to discover Sasha's the main act - and wearing that knock-out cocktail dress to boot. Then, in the "Real Tales of the PDK9", Fox learns Kevin's been snarking about Fox's crush on Sasha to the rest of the force (Fox seems to have let go an earlier comment from Mungo about him trying to "steal his superior's girl friend"). What Sasha may think of Kevin's tormenting Fox has yet to be revealed - she's probably oblivious.

...and Kevin's treatment of Fox just adds to the drama.

...which is why I'd kinda like to see Fox and the new-and-improved Daisy get together, but I've ridden that hobbyhorse all day and I don't want to be a boor. Or a bigger boor than I've already been about that particular topic.
Elwood Blutarsky

Post by Elwood Blutarsky »

I'm only now realizing Sasha has been with Kevin for more than five years in the run of the strip. She's dated him longer than she did Bino. Whoa, I never thought it had been that long.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Well we don't know HOW long she had been dating Bino when the comic began because they were already boyfriend and girlfriend so it could have been a lot longer for all we know.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

… in addition to some heavy companioning with Fido at times and the occasional snuggle with "Foxy-Bon". Sasha's been quite the social butterfly at times.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

NHWestoN wrote:… in addition to some heavy companioning with Fido at times and the occasional snuggle with "Foxy-Bon". Sasha's been quite the social butterfly at times.
It’s honestly surprising she and Grape haven’t shared many comics together if any considering this similarity between the two.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Maybe Grape keeps a wide berth because she thinks Sasha is a bit on the slow side and doesn't know it may be an act or she is a savant.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Interesting thought. Sasha first becomes acquainted with King walking home behind him and mistaking him (because of his aroma) for a cat, so we know she shares none of the prejudices against cats held by her canine colleagues. In fact, no one seems to dislike Sasha.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Well the dogs certainly seem to like her. Everybody else though I'm not really sure. I honestly could see someone like Grape or Jessica being annoyed with her.