Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
2018/04/23 - A Ferret Of The People 
Site Admin

Post Re: 2018/04/23 - A Ferret Of The People
leinglo Wrote:
Welsh Halfwit Wrote:
It's a lifetime of reading reviews, good sir. People giving their opinion of how a story they read or a show/film they watched resolves. But whereas a professional reviewer waits until the story is fully over, the internet offers the chance for instant opinions and people feel free to give it. It's sometimes forgotten that that lays them (and sometimes myself) open to looking foolish when the twist comes or actually inspiring the twist that makes the critquer look foolish.

Well said. I like to think I'm normally savvy to that kind of thing myself but I walked right into it this time. Though to be fair, I think some things, like having a page leave us with a character literally announcing he's retiring from his lifelong work, should be particularly expected to cause near-sighted knee-jerk reactions.

I may have overstated

I'm not mad people are interpreting what Keene says as meaning what it is

I am annoyed that some people in this thread are using that to make broad sweeping comments about me and my personal judgement before they know exactly how it shakes out, pretending they already know all the details like this is all I'm ever saying on the matter

Of course my judgement has been constantly questioned and prematurely condemned this entire dang arc so I guess I'm just late to the party

Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:05 pm
Profile WWW

Maybe Fox and Mungo will drag Keene off the stage, Duchess will proclaim a coup, and ......... Naw....

You're very right, TheOne. Enjoyment is what the comic's for, first and foremost. Trying to second-guess a storyline is kinda interesting, but I don't want to run my fingernails too fast across the storyteller's blackboard.
Heck, chums, it's only Monday....

....and where in Pawtucket is Duchess, anyway?

Regards.

Last edited by NHWestoN on Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:17 pm

Yeah, it can be like that. I find this all quite interesting, but I, personally, like to wait for a completed arc, before making any sort of judgement on it. It feels like a better reflection of the story's progression that way.

20-23-5-14-20-25 25-5-1-18-19 8-5 4-9-4 14-15-20 18-5-20-21-18-14,

20-8-5 19-9-24 6-9-14-7-5-18-5-4 13-9-19-6-9-20 23-9-20-8 12-15-20-19 15-6 6-21-18.

*Russian Intensifies*

Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:19 pm

rickgriffin Wrote:
leinglo Wrote:
Welsh Halfwit Wrote:
It's a lifetime of reading reviews, good sir. People giving their opinion of how a story they read or a show/film they watched resolves. But whereas a professional reviewer waits until the story is fully over, the internet offers the chance for instant opinions and people feel free to give it. It's sometimes forgotten that that lays them (and sometimes myself) open to looking foolish when the twist comes or actually inspiring the twist that makes the critquer look foolish.

Well said. I like to think I'm normally savvy to that kind of thing myself but I walked right into it this time. Though to be fair, I think some things, like having a page leave us with a character literally announcing he's retiring from his lifelong work, should be particularly expected to cause near-sighted knee-jerk reactions.

I may have overstated

I am annoyed that some people in this thread are using that to make broad sweeping comments about me and my personal judgement before they know exactly how it shakes out, pretending they already know all the details like this is all I'm ever saying on the matter

Of course my judgement has been constantly questioned and prematurely condemned this entire dang arc so I guess I'm just late to the party

I think one reason that everyone's tail feathers get in a bunch is that they focus on the length of the arc and not on the actual content. A lot of people seem to forget that you aren't necessarily writing this comic for the sake of drawing cute little fuzzy animals, but that you are trying to tell a story. Most people aren't focusing on what is happening and are more concerned with how it is being done. Some look past everything good that is coming from the arc, such as character development, imagine how boring it would be if the characters never changed and never grew? It would be very repetitive, are Peanut and Grape the same characters as they were 9+ years ago? Not really, they've grown and changed and that is what makes them so interesting. Good things come from these long arcs, and a lot more planning and time has to go into them than a short 5 page arc. Anyway, that's just my 2 cents.

Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:32 pm

rickgriffin Wrote:
I may have overstated

Well, to be honest, Rick my speculation on why you might be dropping this plotline; again I was assuming there was no twist at the end which I highly suspected even then there is; is based on how this whole arc has felt so far as I said and the fact that you have dropped things before that you feel don't fit the comic. However, perhaps it was out of line of me to do so and I honestly didn't mean anything bad by it.

While I do criticize this arc I honestly don't hate the majority of it. Most of my dislike of this arc is based on the fact that it's overly long, which even you admitted to on Twitter, and that a lot of the characters in it feel pointless or redundant. Like outside of the epilogue part Tarot was essentially doing exactly what Breel was doing, trying to get Keene to not use the Mana, and with Breel there she becomes kind of redundant. She didn't do anything really important until after Breel was upset and the mana was pointless to Keene. Oh and then Res made her draining the mana pointless anyway. Res's plot feels like it could have easily been its own separate arc unconnected to Temple Crashers 2 and what he did, in the end, could have been handled by several other characters that were already in the other teams. Everything else in the arc though I honestly enjoyed.

Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:04 pm

Next strip, the Rocky theme comes on behind Keene. He's rejuvenated. Cut to King hiding behind the curtain with a boombox.

Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @

Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:33 pm
Profile WWW

Gonna Fly Now or Eye of the Tiger? This is important. :D

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.

Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:36 pm

Gonna Fly Now, of course! There can be only one!

Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:39 pm
Profile WWW
Banner Artist

Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"
rickgriffin Wrote:
. . . what the crap is anyone even talking about in this thread?
rickgriffin Wrote:
No my question is why does everyone always read a serialized comic like the most recent comic should be read as the conclusion, it must be terribly confusing to think the comic or plot or character arc is ending constantly

How about you treat the punchline as a punchline and wait for Keene to actually conclude his speech or something, like a normal reading person will
rickgriffin Wrote:
leinglo Wrote:
Welsh Halfwit Wrote:

I may have overstated

I mean personally I just like speculating cause... well what else am I gonna do here? Like yeah I can literally wait to say anything until the speech is over but when the speech might last a week, I might wanna give my input as to how this is going and try to guess what'll happen next or figure out what's going on. Yeah it's jumpin' to conclusions but as long as it's all in good fun and not taken as fact there's no harm in it eh? :D It's like what people do with cartoons or shows that update weekly, but instead of an episode it's part of a scene and people are left to speculate in that time. It's just kind of a thing to do, makes for a lively community in my opinion!

Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:14 pm
Profile WWW
Smiley McSmiles

Yeah, so can we speculate as to what Keene is going to do after retirement, or what ideas he might have in mind? Things that are actually fun to speculate about as opposed to how this seems like a bad ending to Keene's arc?
It's fine if people want to be realists about things, but part of being a realist (to my mind) is acknowledging that Rick has a great track record of delivering unexpected and interesting continuations on a theme. Which is why I would expect this strip to generate discussion like, "Huh, this is an unexpected statement for Keene to make. I wonder what Rick is planning with this. <insert speculation on the possible interesting directions this could take>" And some of that speculation exists in this thread, but it's a little buried in all the other cruft.
So by all means speculate away. But if your speculation already assumes that this is not going to end well, then kindly keep it to yourself unless and until your speculation comes to pass.

Edit: Or if you're really stumped as to how this could possibly go well, how about, "I can't see a positive continuation for this. Can someone help me to look at some ideas I might have missed?"
Which, by the by, would be these:
Champion Wallace Wrote:
Maybe he'll have more forward progress spending his "retirement" doing smaller things like when he gave the wolf pack the ability to live like humans then from large scale legal battles.
D-Rock Wrote:
How do you call yourself a man of the people if you don't even know the people? Fox seems happy with his lot in life, as do other pets, even, sadly, those in poor situations like Sasha. Sometimes, Keene, you have to start at the individual, not cast a wide net.
Welsh Halfwit Wrote:
D-Rock Wrote:
How do you call yourself a man of the people if you don't even know the people? Fox seems happy with his lot in life, as do other pets, even, sadly, those in poor situations like Sasha. Sometimes, Keene, you have to start at the individual, not cast a wide net.

Well he wasn't happy, was he? We saw in the '4 pets' arc that, whatever he has in life, Keene wanted MORE. That drive almost cost him everything he'd actually gained (and it took a kiss from a Prince Charming to wake him up to that fact). Now he's realised and is pulling back.

Edit Edit: Even the discussion about why Keene might be giving up was a fine way to respond. It needs more love in this thread too.

Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:25 pm
laughing maniacally

personally I believe he's saying "I'm gonna let my people do the legal battles while I snuggle my angel" camp.

Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:31 am
Devil Skirrl

I concur with the speculation Keene's retiring personally from leading the struggle, but not necessarily discontinuing his financial and material support thereof.

On a side note, thanks for your patience, everyone; I know the arc is longer than some may have preferred, but it's not quite done and there's no need to worry about things being left unexplored. I'm sure everyone will find the resolution satisfactory.

Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:18 am
Profile WWW

Dissension Wrote:
I concur with the speculation Keene's retiring personally from leading the struggle, but not necessarily discontinuing his financial and material support thereof.

On a side note, thanks for your patience, everyone; I know the arc is longer than some may have preferred, but it's not quite done and there's no need to worry about things being left unexplored. I'm sure everyone will find the resolution satisfactory.

I get the feeling he's making a donation. Still wondering who the donation is going to. Would laugh if it's Maxwell on the grounds he won the contest. x3

On a funny note ~ we could always get shirts that say "I survived Temple Crashers" with the temple falling apart on the front of it :3

Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:32 am

"I survived Temple Crashers and all I got was this lousy T-shirt, for which I have no use." :P

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.

Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:15 am

Maxwell's probably worn out his welcome at Milton Manor (except, maybe, with Jeeves), but I like the idea of him winning something that doesn't backfire on him.

Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:43 am

Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!
NHWestoN Wrote:
Maxwell's probably worn out his welcome at Milton Manor (except, maybe, with Jeeves), but I like the idea of him winning something that doesn't backfire on him.

Congratulations, you have won a year's supply of catnip!
...(whispering)
(whispering back) What do you mean we can't do that?
...(whispering)
(whispering back) Okay, but only this one time.
Congratulations! You've won a year's supply of Myowser Myx!

My new fan project – Check it out! – viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4402

Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:02 pm
Profile WWW

Poor Maxwell... I'm starting to feel sorry for him...

Well, that feeling passed quickly.

Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:40 pm
Bringing Foxy Back

Hey, Max has had a hard life! :( It's not his fault he's dating someone who was meant for someone else!

Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:09 pm
Profile WWW
Devil Skirrl

Yeah, it's not Maxwell's fault Grape was meant to be with Joey!

Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:02 pm
Profile WWW

Dissension Wrote:
Yeah, it's not Maxwell's fault Grape was meant to be with Joey!

That's a weird way to spell 'Res'.

17th CF: Alasdair 'Alec' Ogilvy

Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:08 pm
Devil Skirrl

Yeah, it's not Res's fault Grape was meant to be with Joey!

Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:13 pm
Profile WWW
Game Master

no i think he means res should date joey.

Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:16 pm
Devil Skirrl

Well, I was waiting for the next person to post before suggesting that one, but I guess you've done it, so thanks for saving me the trouble. Time to commission lots of Roey art.

Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:18 pm
Profile WWW

Why must you mock my Gres dreams. T_T

Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:23 pm
Devil Skirrl

Is that the ship name people went with? There's a different one that usually auto-populates in my mind.

Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:24 pm
Profile WWW

I dunno! I just used the most obvious portmanteau I could think of.

Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:31 pm

Dissension Wrote:
Yeah, it's not Res's fault Grape was meant to be with Joey!

Wrong, she was meant for Rex. :P

Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:41 pm

And then, from the mountains of Grapenut shippers, appeared the illusive Gres shippers! (and all of the other shippers, but I'm too lazy to list them all)

Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:10 pm

Well, I mean

Res is the cutest character.

This is an undeniable fact.

Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:52 pm

CosmicCoyote Wrote:
Well, I mean

Res is the cutest character.

This is an undeniable fact.

I am denying your fact.

Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:00 am

Puppy Peanut is cheating in the cuteness contest.

Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:02 am

Um, what? Res isn't even particularly cute. Not compared to King, Zach, Truck, Squeak and Spo, Tarot, Custom Ink and Tiny Tum, Sasha, Fox, Rufus, Spring and Summer, ...

Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:12 am
Profile WWW

Whoa... Didn't mean to ignite the "Shipping Wars" again, chums....

Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:10 pm
Game Master

Graxnut?

What? Who says stable relationships are limited to two?
Just need to deport Tarot to the moon...

Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:35 pm

Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!
Buster Wrote:
Graxnut?
Just need to deport Tarot to the moon...

And we just went MLP on this thread.

My new fan project – Check it out! – viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4402

Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:41 pm
Profile WWW

Jes' gettin' to Friday by now.....

Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2