2018/01/15 - Lesson Learned

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
HundKatzeMaus

Re: 2018/01/15 - Lesson Learned

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

Rakaydos wrote:Everyone's overreacting to this page. I'm calling the next page:

Everyone who knows what's going on: Oh shi-

Dallas and crew, with Kitsune smiling: MMO Raid boss!
Now that you mention Kitsune, I really do wonder if he knew it would come that far and is here for damage control.
He helped everyone out with Pete and Dragon, so he is the closes thing to a big good so far we have.
I'm just waiting for him and Cerberus to appear.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Ooooh, that's actually really clever! What if the HPU's hell is the equivalent to just reliving and remembering all the bad things that happened to you in life, and that's how you're tormented?

And in that way, a creature from such a place would be a physical manifestation of bad memories, the counter to a heavenly being? I did believe that Breel had been greatly softened up by heaven, and that that's just a thing that happens when you go to heaven. You become carefree, and that also means you don't stress yourself thinking about possible outcomes based on past experiences. On top of that, that would explain why Breel couldn't activate the mana but his tears could: Pain and Memories are mortal things, so they can effect things that respond to the mortal plane.
ImageImageImageImage
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Okay, there's a couple of things I wanna bring up (and I apologize for not talking about them earlier) so here we go.

Housepets is turning into a drama
I get that serious stuff isn't everyone's cup of tea, but there's something that bothers me about this statement. This arc has just started getting serious with both the end of part 6 and this strip, the rest have been pretty lighthearted. This is no different than any of the previous arcs that have started out lighthearted and then gets serious near the end (Imaginate Too and Hope for the Pridelands are great examples to this). I know some people are going bring up Heaven's Not Enough and Real Stories of the K9PD and yes while they were serious arcs, they weren't straight up dramas as people are making them out to be. There's was plenty of lighthearted stuff to go around. So saying that Housepets has shifted into a drama is just jumping to conclusions (to me at least).

Tarot is the bad guy
Now yes, Tarot should've explained to everyone about what would happen if they made a wish earlier, but at the same time It's not like people where going to pay attention to her. The other groups would've been like "No, I'm gonna make my wish and get what I want. I'm not gonna listen to you." Even Peanut's group would've probably just ignored her. So saying Tarot is the bad guy here is again jumping to conclusions (and again, to me at least).
Argent

Post by Argent »

leinglo wrote:That's the thing right there, we don't know what that thing or place is. Everything we're assuming is just conjecture on our part because Rick hasn't actually revealed any info about it. Is that a portal to Hell? We assume, and it seems like a safe bet, but we don't know for sure. Is that the devil himself, a greater daemon of some kind, or just a manifestation of Breel's despair? We assume, but we don't know. The best we have is that this is the result of when "you manifest an abstract concept with ultimate power."
Surprise twist: it's actually Breel's ex and Rufus suddenly shows up with a dead chicken and reconciles everyone.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

Saturn381 wrote:Okay, there's a couple of things I wanna bring up (and I apologize for not talking about them earlier) so here we go.

Tarot is the bad guy
Now yes, Tarot should've explained to everyone about what would happen if they made a wish earlier, but at the same time It's not like people where going to pay attention to her. The other groups would've been like "No, I'm gonna make my wish and get what I want. I'm not gonna listen to you." Even Peanut's group would've probably just ignored her. So saying Tarot is the bad guy here is again jumping to conclusions (and again, to me at least).
You bring up a valid point. Tarot has been largely ignored when she tries to warn others. One can only tolerate a certain limit of being ignored. After that limit is hit, one starts to stop caring. I think that's exactly what happened to Tarot, previous to her first in-comic appearance. When we first saw her, she had already started to become careless. She wasn't yet at the point where she wouldn't warn people of the danger, but she was at the point where she wouldn't elaborate. At least, she wouldn't elaborate without someone asking her for the details. And thus far, no one in-comic has specifically asked her for details. There has been a lot of yelling and complaining, but no one has asked for more information, and she's not willing to give without being asked.
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
Argent

Post by Argent »

We don't know what happened before her first in-comic appearance, and she was already super non-specific and frankly delphic pretty much from the start.
Tarot has been largely ignored when she tries to warn others.
There's a reason for that... this is her SECOND strip:

That's not "starting to become careless", that's blowing smoke.

And then there was the appalling lack of training she gave Peanut before sitting him down at her astral travel agency booth.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Ok, seriously. Let's move on. Demon from the inferno is attacking. That's a LITTLE BIT MORE IMPORTANT than Tarot and Keene's character flaws.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Long story made about Tarot: She could explain things better, but at the same time she is the expert in all of this and when dealing with experts you have to take into consideration they just can't explain every detail to you, like Tarot is doing now. If a doctor told you you had a pimple that could explode and destroy the earth and you didn't know any better, I wouldn't question it. =P

Also, i'm sure Tarot is explaining this now because she can't stop this.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Argent

Post by Argent »

GameCobra wrote:If a doctor told you you had a pimple that could explode and destroy the earth and you didn't know any better, I wouldn't question it. =P
I'm pretty sure I would question the aitch ee double hockey sticks out of it.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Argent wrote:
GameCobra wrote:If a doctor told you you had a pimple that could explode and destroy the earth and you didn't know any better, I wouldn't question it. =P
I'm pretty sure I would question the aitch ee double hockey sticks out of it.
Again, if you didn't know any better. Pimples are scary, dude.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Brighttail

Post by Brighttail »

I think we have to also remember Breel's comment here when asked, "Can anything hurt him."

https://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/20 ... -be-merry/

I have a really bad feeling we are going to see Breel hurt beyond the emotional blast that Keane hit him with. I think this is going to be a really bad sign.
MX682XM

Post by MX682XM »

CyberDragon wrote:
CyberDragon wrote:Honestly though? As much as I called it the devil, that was mostly to convey a point I was trying to make. I think that this thing is the embodiment of Breel's pain, suffering, sadness, and fear. Things he "forgot" when he went to heaven. Because going to heaven forced the forgetting of these things, it was like they were bound up and shoved away. We saw in that scene with Keene in the pool in heaven looking at his memories, and that memories were one of the few things that could actually hurt you in heaven. It seems that negative emotions are powerful enough to hurt the immortal soul, which is much more resilient than anything physical. Thus, a being representing these would be extremely powerful. When Breel went to heaven and he was forced to forget all his pain, this creature representing that pain was locked away and forgotten, only to be "recalled" now by Breel once again experiencing that pain.
Now that I think of it, this could also explain why the creature seems to be crying. If it is a manifestation of Breel's forgotten sorrow, anger, etc it makes sense for it to be weeping.
This also explains why the 'goat' is also gagged. The memories were made silent.
ImageImage
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

This whole "Who's the Badguy" thing can be boiled down to one sentence.

They're all mortals.

They were all dealing with normal mortal emotions and turned their first world problems into other worldly problems. Everyone in this scenario did something bad. This is to be expected, however, in a story of Mortals interacting with Immortals. Even the immortals do bad things, as mortals were made in their image...
or, I guess the other way around in terms of the Angels.
This is of course coming from the Greek perception of Gods and divine beings. Speaking of, this plot kind of reminds me of Greek legends and stories.

...also why are y'all judging Tarot for pulling out a whiteboard and explaining this to Keene when we're all literally doing that right now. Heck most of us aren't even talking about the giant flaming goat in the room. Like, hello? Most interesting and crazy thing in the comic and we're still trying to figure out how ratings and character depth work??? :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Let's see, we got two ninjas, a black wizard, a black mage, two warriors, a white wizard, a magical berserker, a defender, a were-tiger, a puzzle master, four angels, a demi-god, and whatever Keene is. All against a being of the depths.

Well, if I can take on the embodiment of humanities desire for death with a jokester, a dog, an archer, and an android, why not?

Though admittedly, that was a pretty tough boss.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

....and even now, Dallas has probably reversed the elevator, picked up the limerick-spouting hermit on the way down, and will soon burst through the mechanical doors with photons blazing and enervating muzak thundering !!!

...or not.
House42

Post by House42 »

Before this page: I'm a brave boy.

After this page: NOT A BRAVE ENOUGH BOY FOR THIS!
Argent

Post by Argent »

Still calling Rufus saves the day with a dead chicken.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Argent wrote:Still calling Rufus saves the day with a dead chicken.
I say What Chicken and Rufus save the day, implying What Chicken DID hear the remark from earlier but it just took him a really long time to catch up, then Rufus claims it was The Forgoten who said it and What Chicken show's us it's true power it was hiding all along. :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
VoidGaming404

Post by VoidGaming404 »

Well... That ain't good :shock:
Life is like a rollercoaster, sure there's ups and downs, but you may find that it can throw you for a loop!

~VoidGaming404

Christmas Avatar was made by Jolty-Kun

Original Avatar was made by Buster
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

CHAOKOCartoons wrote:
I say What Chicken and Rufus save the day, implying What Chicken DID hear the remark from earlier but it just took him a really long time to catch up, then Rufus claims it was The Forgoten who said it and What Chicken show's us it's true power it was hiding all along. :lol:
I love it. You two win one internet a piece. :D
-Champion Motto

MX682XM

Post by MX682XM »

CHAOKOCartoons wrote:
I'd love to see that
ImageImage
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Keene's Mom, too?
Cajek

Post by Cajek »

This is the first time that I honestly have no idea what is going on in a Housepets comic been reader since 2012

Can someone explain? Am new to message boards
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Well, when we last saw the temple crashers, Keene hurt Breel's feelings, causing Breel to experience sadness for the first time since he went to heaven. As far as I can see, the tear from this sadness fell into the mana pool. This tore open a portal to what I assume is H. E. Double Hockey Sticks, and caused a manifestation of Breel's forgotten negative emotions to be released.
-Champion Motto