2017/12/14 - Double Hockey

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Not A Furry

Re: 2017/12/14 - Double Hockey

Post by Not A Furry »

Looks like someone(thing?) is back

I wonder if Max will recognise it, and what Kitsune's reaction will be to hell breaking loose
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

If someone in Heaven tasked Breel with assisting Keene/keeping him from doing something stupid, they made a mistake in doing so. Similar to Ralph tasking Fox with the assassination attempt on Keene once it was clear Sasha was involved.

But poor Breel. His sadness is going to be the end of the world. :cry:
Keldor

Post by Keldor »

Argent wrote:Well, the nerds wanted an end boss. They got one.

Everyone teams up and defeats the hellmouth monster.

I would have thought a spirit like Breel would be more mature and able to deal with nuance than that, though. I guess I'm going to have to re-read the Breel strips... is he really a young-un who's just putting a mature and reasonable face on things?
He's seeing Keene at his worst, someone who he truely cares about. Also, he's been in heaven for some time most likely, long enough to forget the pain of the mortal world. He wasn't ready for this.

As for Keene, he's just now being hit over the head with the realization about how foolish and selfish he's been. I think King said it best a while ago:

He has a good heart under all that, though. I predict he'll do something brave and foolish in the very near future to save Breel from something that *can* physically hurt a celestial.
Keldor

Post by Keldor »

Not A Furry wrote:Looks like someone(thing?) is back

I wonder if Max will recognise it, and what Kitsune's reaction will be to hell breaking loose
Skulls are a common motif.
HellishK9

Post by HellishK9 »

This looks exciting.

I wonder what their next move will be. They'll need to be more suited up and could use the mana to their advantage if they want to close the portal. I assume at least one team would march their way into Hell trying to figure out how to close it while fighting demons along the way.
It sounds dangerous but also thrilling.
Argent

Post by Argent »

They need a nerdy werewolf, a professional witch, and a vicious alleycat if they're going to invade THAT place. (STR)
Banchou wrote:And dont forget our new love-couple, the camels ;)
YEH WHAT ABOUT SOPHIA?
John-056 wrote:Rick better not drop the Arc for Christmas.
Maybe he can manage a "Christmas in Aitch Eee Double Hockey Sticks" strip?
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Frank

Post by Frank »

I really hope I'm not the only one genuinely feeling bad for Breel here
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
TeflonCougar

Post by TeflonCougar »

This is why I found it odd that everyone was hating on Tarot for her actions and attitudes. She and Sabrina are the mortals with any clue how the mana pool works, what it is capable of doing. Yeah, she was harsh, but a drill sergeant isn't all love and cookies during training before going to the grenade range. You need to be sure the troops understand and respect the power of the weapon. The mana pool is a universe altering grenade and shouldn't be handled by amateurs with such ill conceived agendas.

Keene can do a simple wish, "Make humans and animal equal" and cause the humans to fall in status to the level of the animals. Wish granted. Neither Tarot nor Sabrina would make a noob error like that. Keene didn't even make his wish and look what was caused. No idea what Lester and his team would do, they still think it's some kind of game or contest.

Hmm, "Double Hockey", well Breel, being of Heaven did sort of make the arena switch ends.
John-056

Post by John-056 »

leinglo wrote:
John-056 wrote:Besides, we haven't seen Kingy for a while, and we need to see how him and his family is doing.
Oh I can picture it. King and family are relaxing at home, playing with the kids, and King's like:
"I wonder what the others are out doing?"
[next panel is a giant hell-battle spread straight out of 40k or a death metal album cover]
Bailey: "Something fun and harmless, I'm sure."
That definately sounds like King and Bailey interacting... Though the Battle I think of, wouldn't use 40k. It would use Darksiders, or Doom.

I mean, seriously, with the Four Horsemen in Darksiders, if Team Sandwich are allowed to 'change Classes' for the 'Hell War', would be the best fit, since they would actually have better teamwork as the Horsemen and better use of the Horsemen's weapons, since Grape is a melee Fighter, not a Sneaker.

...Not to mention that if Tarot leaves Team Sandwich behind Again, I would find it Hilarious to see the look on her face as the four rush by, Riding their respective characters' Horses and one of them waving cheerily as they pass by.

As for Doom... Well, Hell and Doomguy haven't the best relationship... And frankly, I can easily see Grape going Nutso with the Chainsaw while Peanut goofs around with the Speed Boost Power Up.
On the next... Wire in the Blood...
HSDVGDGFWGFWHGVMBHGWY*Ded*
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Touching and terrifying!!
Breel, darling, it's gonna be alright (I hope). Time for the other Celestial to step before it all burns down.
Gonna be some Christmas, kids!

Regards.
darkclaw

Post by darkclaw »

So am I not seeing it, properly, then? What I see is Breel leaves. Keene steps in the mana pool. and Keene opens the portal to hell. Breel leaves. In the last panel he's in and in the next panel the one with the feet in the mana pool that's Keene.
John-056

Post by John-056 »

darkclaw wrote:So am I not seeing it, properly, then? What I see is Breel leaves. Keene steps in the mana pool. and Keene opens the portal to hell. Breel leaves. In the last panel he's in and in the next panel the one with the feet in the mana pool that's Keene.
No. That's Breel. The legs you see. Those are Breel's, since last I checked, Keene wasn't Crying, and there was no way for the tear to hit the Mana Pool if Keene was standing there.

Also, when we see Tarot, she's RIGHT NEXT TO KEENE. If he was in the Pool, Tarot would have been grabbing him.
On the next... Wire in the Blood...
HSDVGDGFWGFWHGVMBHGWY*Ded*
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Argent wrote:They need a nerdy werewolf, a professional witch, and a vicious alleycat if they're going to invade THAT place. (STR)
A nerdy werewolf you say?

(^ My Halloween costume)
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Argent

Post by Argent »

Frank wrote:I really hope I'm not the only one genuinely feeling bad for Breel here
No.
Keldor

Post by Keldor »

leinglo wrote:
John-056 wrote:Besides, we haven't seen Kingy for a while, and we need to see how him and his family is doing.
Oh I can picture it. King and family are relaxing at home, playing with the kids, and King's like:
"I wonder what the others are out doing?"
[next panel is a giant hell-battle spread straight out of 40k or a death metal album cover]
Bailey: "Something fun and harmless, I'm sure."
Yes! We need this! Anyone up to drawing this for the guest week? :lol:
Arrow

Post by Arrow »

Couple story points:

A+++ to Rick for DOUBLE irony - in working so hard to prevent Keene from recklessly doing what he wanted with the mana, both Tarot and Breel caused the worst-case scenario. That setup and payoff is pretty great.

Second, Res is going to be really important to this resolution in some form, his visit is what kicked off this storyline, so I'm interested to see how he gets involved.

I find it funny that Dallas accidentally got lucky in not having to deal with a portal to hell by getting ejected from the pyramid. Speaking of which, I think Karishad is going to be involved in the resolution as well, considering he's "randomly" there and seems to be able to come and go in the temple as he pleases. I do like the "K=GK or avatar" hypothesis...
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

It might be - going back to a thought Doug Collier offered - is that the mana I'd reacting automatically to Breel's tear as not a real wish but to the subconscious pain the tear expresses. Sort of an involuntary spiritual Hazmat reaction. What psychophysiological ingredient properly infused then might serve to close the gash to the Inferno? Good thing Breel doesn't cry like Sasha !!
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

turns out what chicken is the devil
ImageImage
ImageImage
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

THAT'S IT, Sinder !!! It's revenge for that dead chicken that Rufus gave Peanut to court Grape with all the way back in ..........

Hmmmmmmmmmm........oh..

Okay. I'll be alright ... time to have that third mug of coffee. Sorry, everybody.
Banchou

Post by Banchou »

Its a webcomic. And a real good one.
I dont see the Master end this year with a sad ending.
CanzetYote

Post by CanzetYote »

Well this took a turn for the dark. Poor, poor Breel.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

They said I was crazy when I predicted a hell arc was comming all this time, they thought I was mad for defending Tarot! Id have the biggest Maxwell grin on my face if I hadnt not actually expected Breel to lead to this conclusion...

Also thats something thats bothering me, why are people saying this is Breel/The Angel's fault?! He's immune to mana, he's the best possible person to stay in the mana and block anyone from getting in. Also, he's been in heaven for who knows how long, he hasnt had to or expect anything to cause him to feel sad emotions. Its not his fault he's still mentally mortal! Even the demigods cry! Wether people wanna admit it or not, this is all Keene (and to some degree still Peanut and Tarot's) fault! We've known Keene can be a real jerk to get his way, why are people treating him like the hero? A lot of "antagonists" have good intentions too, but its their actions that will always speak universally scaled volumes louder than words. Except, ya know, his actions were words and words are the only thing that can hurt a celestial being...
ImageImageImageImage
andwhyisit

Post by andwhyisit »

IceKitsune wrote:I'm gonna be completely honest this feels like a shocking cliffhanger just to be a shocking cliffhanger. If Breel could use the mana pool how was he standing in it? Why does only him crying activate it? Why does it open a portal to Hell?
Look closer. Breel was levitating an inch above the surface of the pool.
RokukeShiba

Post by RokukeShiba »

I wonder why is everyone on Keenes side? He's a villain, he wants to bend the world to his will. Thats like a comic book villain thing to do. No matter how good his intentions are thats a line one should not cross.
Also he is a jerk to his love :c
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

andwhyisit wrote: Look closer. Breel was levitating an inch above the surface of the pool.
No, you can't see his feet. He's standing in ankle deep.
CHAOKOCartoons wrote:We've known Keene can be a real jerk to get his way, why are people treating him like the hero? A lot of "antagonists" have good intentions too, but its their actions that will always speak universally scaled volumes louder than words.
I'm not treating him like a hero, although I would like to see the world he wants to build (at least a glimpse of it). For my part, I just think it's fun to play devil's advocate and root for the obvious antagonist. In most media properties they're more fun and get snazzier uniforms. :P

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
Arch3t3ct

Post by Arch3t3ct »

CHAOKOCartoons wrote:They said I was crazy when I predicted a hell arc was comming all this time, they thought I was mad for defending Tarot! Id have the biggest Maxwell grin on my face if I hadnt not actually expected Breel to lead to this conclusion...

Also thats something thats bothering me, why are people saying this is Breel/The Angel's fault?! He's immune to mana, he's the best possible person to stay in the mana and block anyone from getting in. Also, he's been in heaven for who knows how long, he hasnt had to or expect anything to cause him to feel sad emotions. Its not his fault he's still mentally mortal! Even the demigods cry! Wether people wanna admit it or not, this is all Keene (and to some degree still Peanut and Tarot's) fault! We've known Keene can be a real jerk to get his way, why are people treating him like the hero? A lot of "antagonists" have good intentions too, but its their actions that will always speak universally scaled volumes louder than words. Except, ya know, his actions were words and words are the only thing that can hurt a celestial being...
I totally agree with you, CHAOKO, which is why I have finally created an account on here because up until now, I never had a real worthy opinion to say in the past 4 years I have been reading this amazing comic :lol:

First off, this has been an amazing arc to read. Even though it has been split into parts going on since May, it has definitely had lots of interesting surprises, such as this strip for sure. :P But I also had a feeling that something hell-related would show up in this arc, especially when it was mentioned that Heaven had sent angels to protect the mana from being used inappropriately (even though Breel had accidentally triggered it, which wasn't his fault at all :cry:).

For instance, I believe that Tarot and Sabrina made it their main priority to get to the pool first because they knew that if any part of the mana were to be used inappropriately that something like this could happen, and there could be a serious problem. I found it kind of odd that Tarot and Sabrina left Peanuts team behind earlier, especially because Sabrina told Keene that even though she disagreed with his expedition, her and Tarot would ensure the safety of everyone onboard. I don't think that Tarot wanted to leave them behind, she cares for her friends, (even though she doesn't have a good way of showing it :lol: ). She was probably fearful that something like this could happen, and that this is far, far worse and needed to be stopped quickly in order to protect everyone, even Keene, because even though he does have a dream that isn't a bad thing, we can definitely see how unsafe the mana is and we don't want anything bad to happen to anyone. So I totally agree with CHAOKO for defending team Tarot, though it would be interesting to see both outcomes, as long as Keene knows what he's up against, then everything should be fine. But seeing what has happened in this strip, winning and/or losing doesn't seem like its gonna be an outcome. :lol:
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

I wouldn't even call Keene a proper villain or antagonist, I don't know why people are hanging on that. I mean, we had a whole arc with The 4 Animals You Meet In Heaven just to reaffirm Keene's confidence in carrying on his father's cause and helping people, while having it made clear if he falls, there's nobody to carry on after him. He's running out of time. The worst thing he's done in all this is decide to use the mana as a dangerous shortcut out of what can only be called desperation. If he needs to be stopped, it's just so he can get back to work using conventional, Earthly methods. I wouldn't even blame him all that much for snapping at Breel, having what he believes is his best chance dangled in front his nose and basically being told he can't have it, and being told to leave him alone isn't even all that mean of a putdown. I actually feel like Breel might be overreacting just a little, even if he does has a crush on Keene.
RokukeShiba

Post by RokukeShiba »

leinglo wrote:I wouldn't even call Keene a proper villain or antagonist, I don't know why people are hanging on that. I mean, we had a whole arc with The 4 Animals You Meet In Heaven just to reaffirm Keene's confidence in carrying on his father's cause and helping people, while having it made clear if he falls, there's nobody to carry on after him. He's running out of time. The worst thing he's done in all this is decide to use the mana as a dangerous shortcut out of what can only be called desperation. If he needs to be stopped, it's just so he can get back to work using conventional, Earthly methods. I wouldn't even blame him all that much for snapping at Breel, having what he believes is his best chance dangled in front his nose and basically being told he can't have it, and being told to leave him alone isn't even all that mean of a putdown. I feel like Breel might be overreacting just a little, even if he does has a crush on Keene.
And? Such matters take a long long time to do, but bending people to your will because YOU think its best? Yah sure who needs free will and democracy.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

I just realized, continuity of this arc would be broken if there were to be a Christmas comic - this all started back in the spring/summer. Either Rick will make a very poingnant, somehow Christmas-y strip in the middle of all this (with only two strips between guest week and Christmas, there’s very little chance this will all be settled in the course of that time), or Christmas will be skipped, which would be a huge blow to the morale of the readers with such a serious and long arc. I’m hopeful that Rick has something special planned for his fans for one of the most important times of the year, but I’m curious/anxious about exactly what it is, all things considered.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Sinder wrote:turns out what chicken is the devil
A new twist!

Douglas Collier

Just remembered, Breel said that if something did hurt him, it would be a very bad sign.

I’d say a portal to Hell would be a good indication of a very bad sign.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
ConvoyWolf

Post by ConvoyWolf »

I gotta say i know how Breel feels in this arc, not as a celestial being trying to protect someone from themselves, but as someone just trying to be a good friend, someone who just wants to make someone happy, someone who actively wants to care and look out for the well being of someone you care about, yet being treated as a hinderance, a torn in one side, a cause of more frustration in the person theyre trying to help, untill they finally explode in your face, giving you their self percieved impression of you, making it clear that they dont want your help, leaving you confused, broken, hurt, even betrayed, like your love or loyalty means nothing in their plans, and everything youve done for them was for nothing.

Keene, you selfish........*sigh*
House42

Post by House42 »

Well now, that's one way to reveal a universe's take on H-E-Double-Hockey-Stick...
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Oh, no... It's useless, Keene is still the greedy ferret who cares his affairs (and his owner's dream), even in very delicate circumstances and against someone who believed to have made him as friend protecting him, too... Crying Breel is one of the saddest things ever seen here... :( Yeah, indeed, Tarot called it. :| The tear of an angel in the mana pool can open an hell, as seems, now that's really bad... :? Words hurt more than slaps...
Panther

Post by Panther »

Awww , poor Breel : feel sorry for her :cry:

(yea , some things makes me to think Breel is a female)
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Rereading this comic - i'm convinced Rick got his hell inspiration in some way from Don Bluth. =P
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

Panther wrote:Awww , poor Breel : feel sorry for her :cry:

(yea , some things makes me to think Breel is a female)
Same. Being constantly reminded he's a male fixed that for me tho, so now I just see him as very effeminate even though he overpowers Keene
Douglas Collier

Question: Why wasn’t Mr. Milton sent to guide Keene? It seems like he’d have the right perspective as a denizen of heaven and the original founder of the cause to guide Keene in the right directions.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Douglas Collier wrote:Question: Why wasn’t Mr. Milton sent to guide Keene? It seems like he’d have the right perspective as a denizen of heaven and the original founder of the cause to guide Keene in the right directions.
I suspect Mr. Milton probably thought Keene wouldn't be this much trouble and figured it would be better for Breel to handle it given their relationship.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

GameCobra wrote:
Douglas Collier wrote:Question: Why wasn’t Mr. Milton sent to guide Keene? It seems like he’d have the right perspective as a denizen of heaven and the original founder of the cause to guide Keene in the right directions.
I suspect Mr. Milton probably thought Keene wouldn't be this much trouble and figured it would be better for Breel to handle it given their relationship.
Also fans and shippers wanted it so bad