people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Saturn381

Re: 2017/12/8 - Mr Sandman

Post by Saturn381 »

Wonder how nightcap powers work? :lol:
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

So, if a mortal crashes into the mana pool... that would be bad (?)
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

The question now is, what class is Keene?
Actually, come to think of it, what class is Breel?! Holding Tarot up with one hand like that, does the halo count as a hat that gives admin powers or something here?
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

I was right! Keene is Mr. Sandman!
Last edited by Douglas Collier on Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Spider-Ferret, Spider-Ferret...

Keene’s fighting in a dreamland
and it’s become Tarots’ nighmare.
For him it’s gone as planned;
if she objects, he doesn’t care.
Keene does whatever a Ferret can
Parkering up the temple wall.
He threatens to make Tarot flan
by kicking her into a fall.
Breel shows he has quiet strength
saving her life with one arm.
But now it may be said, at length,
Keenes’ dream may bring a world of harm.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Exit light...
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Iceheart

Post by Iceheart »

Does the night cap give him the power of a Dream Sunderer?
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

Is that someone who sunders dreams, or someone who sunders with dreams? :D

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
Keldor

Post by Keldor »

And with that Keene is the king of the high ground, casting Tarot off! Our lifeguard Breel is hard at work keeping our contestants high and dry, though, and I do believe he's looking more buff that usual! He just makes it look so easy, but I can tell you, that's no easy thing to do! But back to the top of things, what does Keene plan to do with his hard won position? It looks to me like this exchange has positioned him *farther* away from the mana, which as you know is the very thing he came here to reach. Could it be that this is all part of a plan?
Caerdwyn

Post by Caerdwyn »

I have to admit, Tarot is becoming harder to like.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Caerdwyn wrote:I have to admit, Tarot is becoming harder to like.
Why? :|

---

As a side observation, it appears that the hats level the playing field quite well between players despite vastly different power sets
Derringer Jones

Post by Derringer Jones »

I agree, I want Keene to win.
Tarot is overbearing and has basically been unpleasant all arc.
Let's be real though, either Keene won't win or he'll end up doing very little, status quo will be maintained.
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

Obbl wrote:
Caerdwyn wrote:I have to admit, Tarot is becoming harder to like.
Why? :|
Take your pick, honestly. There might not be anything particular to this page, but like Keene says and as we've discussed before, she's always on about "fate of the world" this, or "integrity of the universe" that, even when she has an incomplete picture or bad information, but still acts like she's the only one that knows best, and let's not even get started on how she treats Peanut. In a lot of ways, Tarot isn't any better than Keene. She's just less driven towards the extremism that Keene is prepared to undertake, which is admittedly with good intentions and in response to a real problem. When has Tarot ever done anything on her own initiative with honestly good intentions?
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Preventing the destruction/devastation of the world is not good intentions?
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

Obbl wrote:Preventing the destruction/devastation of the world is not good intentions?
Not her own initiative. Sabrina brought her into this.

Also, you want to know who else has fought to save the world when necessary?
Doesn't make you a good person, or mean you're doing it necessarily for good reasons.
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

So I'm bringing physics to our magic fight.

Breel is apparently holding up Tarot with some form of telekinesis. In that horizontal position her center of gravity would be further down, around the small of her back.

With where he appears to be holding her, she would have to be actively pulling up against her natural balance, which would effectively be one prolonged crunch.

Side note: I believe that Tarot has good intentions. I believe that she believes that what she is doing is the best way forward for everyone. That does not, however, mean that I'm rooting for her to win.

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Bandit1990 wrote:Side note: I believe that Tarot has good intentions. I believe that she believes that what she is doing is the best way forward for everyone. That does not, however, mean that I'm rooting for her to win.
^This (though I am equally in favor of both to win :D )
Keene has a point that this is a unique (and uniquely huge) opportunity to make some large scale changes to the world in ways that Keene thinks is absolutely for the best.
Tarot has a point that he does not fully comprehend the powers he's playing with and the consequences that could arise.

Tarot's stance comes more from a place of fear (anathema to progress), but then again Keene has not been forthcoming on what exact wish he wants to make, but then again Sabrina and Tarot have already opposed the plan, but then again it may truly be a foolhardy plan for all we know.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Aww, falling into the mana didn't make Breel come back to life. Is that a ship sinking in the mana in the background there? No, just my imagination.

Cartoon angels get plot-relevant override-reality power, confirmed.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
BasedDook

Post by BasedDook »

Argent wrote:Aww, falling into the mana didn't make Breel come back to life. Is that a ship sinking in the mana in the background there? No, just my imagination.

Cartoon angels get plot-relevant override-reality power, confirmed.
I think there is still a possibility of Keene not being able to control his thought processes, and due to this, his one wish lets Breel come back to life. It'd allow for some pretty good character development as Keene will hold a grudge over Tarot for ruining his chance of making a better world for all pets by accidentally making the pool liquid. Sure, it was technically Keene's own fault for overturning the pedestal, but it seems in character for him to move the blame to someone else. Conversely, he may move the blame over to Breel, making their relationship strained and interesting.

Another possibility that I think could happen is that Peanut gets there first and accidentally activates the mana pool. I guess we'll find all this out in the next week!
Signed,
the very worst ferret butler in the world.
Brighttail

Post by Brighttail »

The situation here is that Keene is trying to use a short cut. The power of heaven magick to bring equality to all beings. He basically wants to cheat because the way that he has been trying has been too hard and is taking too long.

I think Tarot sees that this sudden change would be catastrophic as too much change in a very short amount of time.

Life here is all about free will. King in the end was given the choice of which life he would quite literally take. Using a pool of mana to change things is taking away that free will, this makes sense as to why Breel and company are there.

No one can know what will happen if Keene gets his 'wish' but Tarot is convinced it will be bad and since she is the resident expert and knows more than others, she feels her beliefs are the correct ones.

All this being said, Pete did "sorta" promise the of equivocation of human and animal kind, and this promise was taken seriously by Keene's father. It would be interesting if the game is still going in some form and heaven has to keep Pete's 'promise'?
Last edited by Brighttail on Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
TeflonCougar

Post by TeflonCougar »

Dissension wrote:[ Mr Sandman ]

Title Text: is he strong? listen y'all, he ignores material laws

Good job keeping Tarot from crashing into the mana pool, Breel
I am assuming the 'listen y'all' is meant to be sung like the old Spiderman theme
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

"... Break the world in order to save it!" That, dear Keene, is a variation of the ancient mantra of ten thousand tyrants.

Breel stays celestial, keeps his halo, and is apparently engaged in a little passive "intrinsic benevolence" to prevent Tarot's splash down.

Nightcap count ... But what ACTUAL powers/limitations do they confer?
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

NHWestoN wrote:"...Nightcap count ... But what ACTUAL powers/limitations do they confer?
Perhaps the ability to maintain Astral Projection? I recently read "Dreamland Chronicles," and one of the characters was able to be invulnerable while in Dreamland. Perhaps Keene's hat allows him to stay asleep, and gives invulnerability.

On the topic of what Keene actually wants to do, I think we're severely underestimating Keene's ability. I think he's spent years doing his research. And the shortcut? I think he wants to give the "choice" to everyone, human and animal alike, and make the "choice" an ongoing thing. King was allowed to choose between being a human or a dog, but he could only make that choice once.

What if every character constantly had that choice? What if Max wanted huge muscles one day, but wanted his "normal" form the next? What if Peanut could be himself one day, Spot the next, and a cat the next? What if Jill wanted to be a catgirl for a day? What if Zack wanted to be human for a day? What if the 'coons wanted to be accepted pets? I think Keene wants to open up that door of constant possibility.

Remember that Keene was in the same Heaven as King and Fox. We saw Fox get buff, we saw King get tall, etc. In essence, I think Keene wants to make that particular Heaven come to HPU Earth.

As for "breaking the world," I would say that opening the door of shape changing to everyone would definitely break the world's cultures. Imagine the Dali Lama being a llama. (It might not be great for the legal systems, either. Imagine having someone in jail, and that someone suddenly becomes a mouse. Or a dragon. Criminals would definitely use that to their advantage if they can.)

Perhaps to avoid total chaos, Keene would make it so that once someone is convicted, they lose the ability to shapeshift? Hmm...
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
Argent

Post by Argent »

BasedDook wrote:Another possibility that I think could happen is that Peanut gets there first and accidentally activates the mana pool. I guess we'll find all this out in the next week!
"Peanut, why are you wearing glasses?"

[Peanut removes glasses, and is revealed as Spot (superdog)]

"So *that's* how that trick works."
TheOne wrote:Remember that Keene was in the same Heaven as King and Fox. We saw Fox get buff, we saw King get tall, etc.
Keene didn't seem to notice that, which is probably why his subconscious was able to turn him into a ferret kit without him showing any awareness that it had happened.

I think if Keene was going to give everyone the power of choice, they'd probably only get to choose once.
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

TheOne wrote:Perhaps the ability to maintain Astral Projection? I recently read "Dreamland Chronicles," and one of the characters was able to be invulnerable while in Dreamland. Perhaps Keene's hat allows him to stay asleep, and gives invulnerability.
That's a cool power, I wouldn't have thought of that.
TheOne wrote:What if every character constantly had that choice? What if Max wanted huge muscles one day, but wanted his "normal" form the next? What if Peanut could be himself one day, Spot the next, and a cat the next? What if Jill wanted to be a catgirl for a day? What if Zack wanted to be human for a day? What if the 'coons wanted to be accepted pets? I think Keene wants to open up that door of constant possibility.
While I think you're right that there are parts of Keene's plan he hasn't told anyone about (on panel anyway), I'm not sure he'd want to go quite that far.

We've seen his opinion on what equality is, to a degree, and when he was pitching this idea to Sabrina, he more or less stated that his goal with this was the same as with his previous attempts in the legal system.

GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Find it amusing the way Breel saved Tarot from falling in with one hand. Like a samurai catching a blade =3

I'm surprised Keene got out of Tarot's grasp so easily as well. Even with the hat, she had him by the butt/tail. x3

Lastly, now i'm really curious what the other angels will be up to? If Breel is protecting Tarot from landing in the mana, then i'm assuming they are there to watch over the mana as well... but differently?
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
CanzetYote

Post by CanzetYote »

I wonder if Keene will cast some kind of sleep spell on Tarot.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, ferrets are slippery little critters...

I keep slipping back to some of Keene's earlier chats on this project that so alarmed Sabrina and daunted Breel....

From Scry Me a River...
Breel: "But I thought you wanted equality between man and animals..?"

Keene then explains his vision of equality as competition and Breel replies
"So equality is being at each other's throats like before but with equal weapons?"

Keene responds: "No, no, WITH EQUAL WEAPONS..."

Hmmmm.......
John-056

Post by John-056 »

NHWestoN wrote:Well, ferrets are slippery little critters...

I keep slipping back to some of Keene's earlier chats on this project that so alarmed Sabrina and daunted Breel....

From Scry Me a River...
Breel: "But I thought you wanted equality between man and animals..?"

Keene then explains his vision of equality as competition and Breel replies
"So equality is being at each other's throats like before but with equal weapons?"

Keene responds: "No, no, WITH EQUAL WEAPONS..."

Hmmmm.......
Actually, Breel's words were: "So Equality is being at each other's throats like before but with Bigger Weapons?"

Still, the fact that he said 'With Equal Weapons' is Worrisome. What Da Vaykor Hek is his idea of 'Equal Weapons'?

Well, it's never a good idea to Let a Galoot who stages faction Wars with his siblings over what to have for Breakfast, to decide such a severe change to every Sentient Species.
CanzetYote wrote:I wonder if Keene will cast some kind of sleep spell on Tarot.
He does that, and Tarot will fall into the Mana Pool. And unless he's thick enough to do that, he won't do it. Dreams still count as 'Thoughts' after all, and with Tarot getting close to suffering some kind of Breakdown, Villainous or Otherwise, Who knows what her dreams would do with Mana in the equation, in such an unpredictable state.
On the next... Wire in the Blood...
HSDVGDGFWGFWHGVMBHGWY*Ded*
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Thanks for correcting my misquotation of Breel. Breel, I'm sure, would be genial in his forgiveness but it sure loses the whole sinister pointing the exchange. Regards.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Yeah, Keene doesn't know what can happen to the fate of the world, so he would try the same according to his theory, but Tarot is always so cautious to be now too much unbearable with that... Probably, is better to keep the things how are already... :roll: Eheh, the night cap gave Keene some strength to fight you, Tarot. ;) Breel is still an angel, by the way. :| But, looks like the mana gave him a great strength... Maybe is better so. :P
JageshemashFTW

Post by JageshemashFTW »

I'm honestly expecting something like the end to the first arc of Dragon Ball. Like Karishad is gonna get the mana and use it to create the world's most delicious cheeseburger.
Welcome to HexCom: viewtopic.php?t=5602
Argent

Post by Argent »

Or get cornhole in as an Olympic sport.
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

Maybe,

But I feel like there's been too much buildup to end on an anti-climax like that.

Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

Saturn381 wrote:Wonder how nightcap powers work? :lol:
Given the title, I wonder if his class is built around inflicting status effects, namely sleep.
Bandit1990 wrote:Is that someone who sunders dreams, or someone who sunders with dreams? :D
...Yes.
It's difficult to wear gloves with webbed fingers...

When talking about a character, I often speak in D&D terms.

I'm participating in a forum game! You can find it here:
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Naro Rivers wrote:
Bandit1990 wrote:Is that someone who sunders dreams, or someone who sunders with dreams? :D
...Yes.
*wheels both of you off to the old-folks home*
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

"Mr. Sandman, bring me a dream,
Make'em the cutest, that I've ever seen.
Please turn on your magic beam.
Mr. Sandman, bring me a ............... That's it!!

Keene's cap allows him to invoke the mind-tranquilizing harmonic power of the Andrew Sister's !!!

No? No.

Okay...I'll just see myself out. Regards.
VoidGaming404

Post by VoidGaming404 »

Tarot is looking awfully tired in that last panel...
Life is like a rollercoaster, sure there's ups and downs, but you may find that it can throw you for a loop!

~VoidGaming404

Christmas Avatar was made by Jolty-Kun

Original Avatar was made by Buster
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

NHWestoN wrote:"Mr. Sandman, bring me a dream,
Make'em the cutest, that I've ever seen.
Please turn on your magic beam.
Mr. Sandman, bring me a ............... That's it!!

Keene's cap allows him to invoke the mind-tranquilizing harmonic power of the Andrew Sister's !!!

No? No.

Okay...I'll just see myself out. Regards.
Mr Sandman was a song by the Chordettes.