Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
2013/05/22 - Tactical Retreat 
Author Message
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 10:08 am
Posts: 23
Post Re: 2013/05/22 - Tactical Retreat
Gren wrote:
Argent wrote:
If Pete surrenders, the game's over, and she can intervene.


Uh, I think a dog-human relationship is in a higher level than a cat-dog relationship on the scale of taboo.


know that i think about it, it is not a dog-human relationship. as long as king stays as a dog, he is considered a dog, there for, it is not taboo at all. if and when he turns human, then it's taboo. (sorry to cut it short, my class ended)


Wed May 22, 2013 10:10 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:47 pm
Posts: 1177
Location: Argentina
Post Re: 2013/05/22 - Tactical Retreat
Skiff wrote:
1) Does Kings watch come into play here or is it a plot point for another time? Pete wanted a part of his soul for a reason, perhaps to circumvent a game rule?


I doubt the watch will be relevant for the current arc. Besides, at this time, the watch could have been returned to heaven.

Quote:
2) What is Tarot / Dragon up to? They're not likely to know what is going on if this scene is playing out in Kings mind, but I doubt they're going to leave this uncontested.


They can't interfere with King until the duel ends. However, they went to warn him but he ignored them. No one knows if they're going to appear in this arc.

Quote:
3) And probably a minor point, who are the other players? According to Pete, there should be two more players involved here. (Or just one if Kitsune counts)


That's not relevant, they are not part of the duel. The only sides of this duel are Pete and Dragon. Kitsune is the Game Master (not a player) so he only moderates the duel and makes sure the rules are met.

_________________
ImageImage


Wed May 22, 2013 10:26 am
Profile
Game Master
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:09 am
Posts: 3391
Location: Wales, a luverrly land with noisy neighbours.
Post Re: 2013/05/22 - Tactical Retreat
Doesn't victory for Pete ALSO mean 'Game Over' and King becomes Joel again?

_________________
The Avatar is Commander Hawle of The Loper. He appreciates Hukley as an Artist. As do I.

Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie


Wed May 22, 2013 10:31 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:47 pm
Posts: 1177
Location: Argentina
Post Re: 2013/05/22 - Tactical Retreat
MiloxLuna wrote:
know that i think about it, it is not a dog-human relationship. as long as king stays as a dog, he is considered a dog, there for, it is not taboo at all. if and when he turns human, then it's taboo. (sorry to cut it short, my class ended)


Well, he's only a dog in appearance, but inside he's still human. He born as human, he was raised as human, he think as human, and he can't ignore his own conscience.

Welsh Halfwit wrote:
Doesn't victory for Pete ALSO mean 'Game Over' and King becomes Joel again?


That's what I was wondering, so if this is the case, it doesn't have sense to accept to be his avatar. It would be more fruitful choose to be human now and not complicate more the things.

_________________
ImageImage


Wed May 22, 2013 10:36 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:32 pm
Posts: 636
Post Re: 2013/05/22 - Tactical Retreat
I may have missed it, but where did Rick ever say he was going to end the Cosmic $(@!*%$# arc? All I remember seeing is that he said he was going to resolve the King's Soul Watch part of it.


Wed May 22, 2013 10:52 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:27 am
Posts: 4001
Location: Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
Post Re: 2013/05/22 - Tactical Retreat
Gren wrote:
That's what I was wondering, so if this is the case, it doesn't have sense to accept to be his avatar. It would be more fruitful choose to be human now and not complicate more the things.


Problem is, I think Pete knows this too and thinks King already is in the deep end as of now.

However, in my opinion, there is the distinct possibility though that if King does return to being Joel, Bailey will be more willing to forgive Joel than Fox if Joel explains everything to her. Fox might have a grudge against Joel, but not Bailey. Even if she fell in love with King. Whose to say Bailey is much more forgiving than any other dog out there?

_________________
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Image


Wed May 22, 2013 10:53 am
Profile

Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:12 am
Posts: 123
Post Re: 2013/05/22 - Tactical Retreat
You'll see, King will become his avatar, rather than let him turn him back into human. In his current situation, he has no choice to keep Bailey.


Wed May 22, 2013 10:58 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:17 am
Posts: 1703
Images: 9
Location: Switzerland
Post Re: 2013/05/22 - Tactical Retreat
I'm not quite sure but: what is so bad about becoming pete's avatar? :? King still would have control over his body, wouldn't he?

_________________
Awesome Avatar-Animation by GeckoZY! :D
Simon & Freddy has its own Webpage now: http://www.simonandfreddy.com/
My webcomic: (Updates on Saturdays)
ImageImage


Last edited by Hukley on Wed May 22, 2013 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.



Wed May 22, 2013 11:00 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:39 am
Posts: 489
Location: 16 Dimensions, 13th Hyperplane No. 47.54,3674.06,6378.13; Randomly travelling in between Hyperplanes
Post Re: 2013/05/22 - Tactical Retreat
Welsh Halfwit wrote:
Doesn't victory for Pete ALSO mean 'Game Over' and King becomes Joel again?

I don't think that the game will really end any time soon. I doubt that having King as his avatar would immediately make the Spirit Dragon lose. Game over might not even happen during King's lifetime. XD

The end of cosmic nerds arc might not necessarily mean the end of the cosmic nerd games, right? :mrgreen:

_________________
SL: Otter Valley
Image
Want to split a pineapple?
Collaborative Fan-Fiction:
Image


Wed May 22, 2013 11:01 am
Profile WWW
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:53 am
Posts: 991
Location: Orlando, FL USA
Post Re: 2013/05/22 - Tactical Retreat
Isn't this a major violation of intrinsic benevolence? King is essentially being blackmailed.

_________________
"I don't like when fiction creates characters like Mark Greene from ER, who are never allowed to be happy, then the moment they become happy, they die of cancer."

Image


Wed May 22, 2013 11:03 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:34 pm
Posts: 3186
Location: Noonkkot <32,64,51>
Post Re: 2013/05/22 - Tactical Retreat
Gren wrote:
Argent wrote:
If Pete surrenders, the game's over, and she can intervene.


If the game ends, why you think SD will still on Tarot's body?
Tarot is a medium in and of herself, with an astral travel agency business and everything. She should be able to contact Dragon regardless.


Quote:
Besides, if he really has learned how to deal with the real things, THEN he never would have proposed to Bailey, because he should know that his dog body is not real,
Until now there was never any indication that his dog's body wasn't real, and all three cosmic nerds have made comments implying it's permanent without explicit intervention.

Quote:
Uh, I think a dog-human relationship is in a higher level than a cat-dog relationship on the scale of taboo.
If spirit-mortal relationships are OK, with the level of power and capability imbalance that implies, dog-human isn't even on the radar.

Hukley wrote:
I'm not quite sure but: what is so bad about becoming pete's avatar? :? King still would have control over his body, wouldn't he?
That fight-to-the-death-with-Spirit-Dragon's-avatar bit kind of worries me.

Kitch wrote:
Isn't this a major violation of intrinsic benevolence? King is essentially being blackmailed.
Totally!

_________________
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton of RA (M Pine Marten #B06060) @


Wed May 22, 2013 11:06 am
Profile WWW
Game Master
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:09 am
Posts: 3391
Location: Wales, a luverrly land with noisy neighbours.
Post Re: 2013/05/22 - Tactical Retreat
Hukley wrote:
I'm not quite sure but: what is so bad about becoming pete's avatar? :? King still would have control over his body, wouldn't he?


Bailey might fight for that. especially as traditional marriage vows include 'forsaking all others'.

_________________
The Avatar is Commander Hawle of The Loper. He appreciates Hukley as an Artist. As do I.

Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie


Wed May 22, 2013 11:16 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:40 pm
Posts: 289
Location: In my skin, in my house/car/dorm, in Wisconsin, U.S.A
Post Re: 2013/05/22 - Tactical Retreat
First, I think most people know that Pete is bluffing. If King *were* to accept Pete's offer to become a human again, Pete would probably not know what to do. (Unless my loop theory is correct.) I don't think Pete would panic, but he would be confused for a moment and try to convince King not to change back.

Now that that's out of the way, here's what I think should happen:
Situation 1: King calls the bluff and summons SD & GK to report Pete's violation of the non-interference policy. Because Pete has broken the rules too many times, he forefits the duel. He lives his "mortal life" as King's puppy son. (Not my original idea and I don't claim credit. I forget who came up with the idea, but I like it.)

Situation 2: King agrees to become Pete's avatar on three conditions:
a.) King must be allowed to choose at the end of the game which body he will remain in (human or corgi)
b.) Bailey must also be allowed to choose between being human or dog.
c.) King must be allowed to choose the type of game the duel will be.

(Remember this is PG, so a death-match probably won't happen. One of the rules in the fanfiction section of the forum is that PG can include death, but it can't be too graphic. And since a death-match is graphic, it probably isn't PG, which means it can't really be an option for the comic.)

Now, with all that said, here's what I guess will probably happen:
King, being too dazed by Pete's trickyness, will accept Pete's offer to remain as a dog, and will become Pete's avatar unconditionally. King is too confused at this point to really make a solid argument.

Game Cobra wrote:
in my opinion, there is the distinct possibility though that if King does return to being Joel, Bailey will be more willing to forgive Joel than Fox if Joel explains everything to her. Fox might have a grudge against Joel, but not Bailey. Even if she fell in love with King. Whose to say Bailey is much more forgivingthan any other dog out there?

I would love to see a "Look into my eyes and tell me if you know me" moment. (No, I don't actually want to see it, it's just neat to imagine it.) Then as Bailey stares into Joel's eyes, a look of recognition dawns on her. "King?" she asks. Joel nods, Fox feints, the jaws of the K-9s hit the floor, Bailey jumps on Joel, hugs him, and cries. Suddenly Keene speaks up. "You know, if one you both still want to be together, I have something that might help." Keene pulls out about five mana orbs...

_________________
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...


Wed May 22, 2013 11:23 am
Profile YIM WWW
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:34 pm
Posts: 3186
Location: Noonkkot <32,64,51>
Post Re: 2013/05/22 - Tactical Retreat
TheOne wrote:
Now, with all that said, here's what I guess will probably happen:
King, being too dazed by Pete's trickyness, will accept Pete's offer to remain as a dog, and will become Pete's avatar unconditionally. King is too confused at this point to really make a solid argument.
Yeh, that's what I expect, it all depends on whether King's inherent grumpiness can overcome his panic.

_________________
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton of RA (M Pine Marten #B06060) @


Wed May 22, 2013 11:43 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:27 am
Posts: 64
Post The End is near
So King's Saga is really comming to an end...

Here what I belive the result will be:

First King becomes a human to build drama... I doenst matter whon...
Its needed for the "REVELATION"...
I don't belive that Bailey will marry King Without Knowing the Truth...
That he is human turned dog... (I Know that King is not allowed to tell, but I belive that He will tell)
To be a complete story she needs to know the truth...
Then King will choose to be forever a dog...
And two dogs will life forever ever happy...



Somehow i also think that having a human turned dog marrying a dog, kind of make humans and dogs equals...


Wed May 22, 2013 11:48 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:26 pm
Posts: 272
Location: Kansas
Post Re: 2013/05/22 - Tactical Retreat
Ninkurou wrote:
Somehow i also think that having a human turned dog marrying a dog, kind of make humans and dogs equals...


Humans and dogs are equals. We treat dogs kindly, they treat us kindly back.

_________________
My Facebook page: Spartan Lucario
Follow me on Twitter:Lucarionation
Follow my roleplaying twitter!: Fox the Lucario
Follow me on tumblr: Lucarionation
My YouTube Channel: Lucarionation
Let's all get along. =D


Wed May 22, 2013 11:52 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:34 pm
Posts: 3186
Location: Noonkkot <32,64,51>
Post Re: 2013/05/22 - Tactical Retreat
Meanwhile, in Japan, they're still wondering why it's a big deal...

Quote:
The most famous kitsune stories involve foxes that transform themselves into beautiful women, usually for devious purposes but sometimes out of love. Foxes in human form would even sometimes marry human men and have children, who would manifest their supernatural vulpine heritage in unusual strength, charisma, or spiritual power. Famous men such as the great onmyouji Abe no Seimei were often said to be the sons of fox wives.


http://www.obakemono.com/obake/kitsune/

_________________
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton of RA (M Pine Marten #B06060) @


Wed May 22, 2013 11:57 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:35 pm
Posts: 4326
Location: Ohio
Post Re: 2013/05/22 - Tactical Retreat
Argent wrote:
TheOne wrote:
Now, with all that said, here's what I guess will probably happen:
King, being too dazed by Pete's trickyness, will accept Pete's offer to remain as a dog, and will become Pete's avatar unconditionally. King is too confused at this point to really make a solid argument.
Yeh, that's what I expect, it all depends on whether King's inherent grumpiness can overcome his panic.


Yep this is very likely whats going to happen because hes going to panic to much.

_________________
Image
Image


Wed May 22, 2013 11:58 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:34 pm
Posts: 3186
Location: Noonkkot <32,64,51>
Post Re: 2013/05/22 - Tactical Retreat
"And you won't need *this* any more..."

Pete dangles a certain watch, and *poof*.

_________________
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton of RA (M Pine Marten #B06060) @


Wed May 22, 2013 12:09 pm
Profile WWW

Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 12:22 pm
Posts: 2
Post Re: 2013/05/22 - Tactical Retreat
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but I remember this strip where Pete explained the Dark Paladin.
http://www.housepetscomic.com/2012/05/2 ... -you-know/
I think King will have plenty of discontent now. Unless Pete decided to go for another class.


Wed May 22, 2013 12:25 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:47 pm
Posts: 434
Location: United States, Illinois.
Post Re: 2013/05/22 - Tactical Retreat
[quote=valerio"]In theory, the spell should automatically reverse with the end of the Game, independently from the results...BUT, Kitsune granted a boon to King, and it's a safe bet that it's about King being able to choose to stay a dog. And since HP is due to go on, it's also a safe bet that such plot device will be used later on.[/quote]

Doesn't King still have his watch, soul thingy that Pete stole, but now King has it? I might be wrong, but if King still has it that's another advantage he has over Pete. The way I see it Pete will lose everytime if his lies and tricks fail since King holds all the cards...at least from my point of view.

_________________
"Living is Hard Dying is Easy"

Xbox Live Gamertag: Cerberusx32

Image
Image


Wed May 22, 2013 12:39 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 11, 2013 6:58 pm
Posts: 44
Location: California
Post Re: 2013/05/22 - Tactical Retreat
Called this one last comic. Right now, it looks like King's going to agree to be Pete's avatar so that he won't lose Bailey and Fox.

So far, it looks like King and Keene are up against Tarot and Sabrina, with Karishad being on either side. They're working for Keene, but they're friends with Tarot, so it's a tough bet, and it could change the entire outcome of the situation.

I personally think that King will try to drag out the battle, Sabrina and Keene will try to work together, and Tarot will actually try to win. No clue how it will actually turn out, though. It'll be interesting to see.

_________________
Who wouldn't attempt to acquire the thiiiiing?


Wed May 22, 2013 1:47 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:27 pm
Posts: 1631
Location: Singing Fortepiano
Post Re: 2013/05/22 - Tactical Retreat
Oh, but I don't think all ends here.

It only begins...

_________________
Image

I'm a bookworm!
Currently reading: "The Old Man and the Sea" by Ernest Hemingway


Wed May 22, 2013 1:53 pm
Profile
laughing maniacally
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:42 pm
Posts: 17169
Location: an invisible, flying volcano over Virginia
Post Re: 2013/05/22 - Tactical Retreat
Argent wrote:
The only problem with this logic is... Rick wants to close out the cosmic nerd arc. And having King as Pete's avatar will extend it indefinitely.

Rick never said he wants to end the arc as soon as possible, he said he wants to get it to a point of stability. King agreeing to be his avatar is a point of stability.

Argent wrote:
Kitch wrote:
Isn't this a major violation of intrinsic benevolence? King is essentially being blackmailed.
Totally!

well, If King doesn't agree to be his avatar, Pete will lose no matter what. another avatar wouldn't stand a chance against Tarot. So unless King agrees, Pete has no option but to surrender, and since the spell is broken when Pete surrenders, this is just Pete offering the facts. at the time of casting the spell, giving Joel this out would have been a good thing, so it didn't break that rule any more than casting transforming him in the first place. and not telling him he's going to be turned human again would not be intrinsically benevolent.

_________________
I'm a shape-shifter. I'm currently in whatever form I feel like
Image
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets


Wed May 22, 2013 2:17 pm
Profile YIM
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:47 pm
Posts: 1177
Location: Argentina
Post Re: 2013/05/22 - Tactical Retreat
Argent wrote:
Tarot is a medium in and of herself, with an astral travel agency business and everything. She should be able to contact Dragon regardless.


If Tarot isn't longer an avatar , then she will not be much different than Sabrina. But letting that aside, why you think Tarot would be willing to help him? I mean, she don't have any reason to do so, and she always seems to follow the will of the spirits. But even if she do it, why you think the gods will do what she ask? After all is their decision, and probably they will not like alter the natural order of things.

Quote:
Until now there was never any indication that his dog's body wasn't real, and all three cosmic nerds have made comments implying it's permanent without explicit intervention.


You can't read between the lines, right? Well, when I said "virtual" I meant that he doesn't have any control of his fate since the cosmic nerds can transform his body again at any moment. Even if Sabrina has said that the place of his soul depends on his decision of being a dog or a human, that didn't mean that he have the power to go against the nerds if they want to change him back. At the end it will always depend on them.

Quote:
If spirit-mortal relationships are OK, with the level of power and capability imbalance that implies, dog-human isn't even on the radar.


Tarot is Peanut's girlfriend, Dragon not. And don't say that it's the same since they are in the same body because they are not the same person at the same time. By that logic then you could say that if Peanut goes on a Date with Tarot and Sabrina as a third party, then that means Peanut is dating with Sabrina too?

RioluNation wrote:
Humans and dogs are equals. We treat dogs kindly, they treat us kindly back.


I don't know in what world you live, but it's clearly not the same as I. We treat them as "pets" not as "citizens" or "persons". Besides, not every person treat them as kindly as you say and vice versa.

Argent wrote:
Meanwhile, in Japan, they're still wondering why it's a big deal...

Quote:
The most famous kitsune stories involve foxes that transform themselves into beautiful women, usually for devious purposes but sometimes out of love. Foxes in human form would even sometimes marry human men and have children, who would manifest their supernatural vulpine heritage in unusual strength, charisma, or spiritual power. Famous men such as the great onmyouji Abe no Seimei were often said to be the sons of fox wives.


http://www.obakemono.com/obake/kitsune/


Okay, now I think you are taking this furry thing too far.
I mean, I'm always in favor of animal rights, but it's clearly that they never will be considered equals when they don't have the same intellectual level as us. That's why we call them animals (unfortunately, it's a word used to belittle them).

Orthus wrote:
I think King will have plenty of discontent now.


It's most likely this will happen if he accept to be his avatar. And I think this discontent will start with the wedding. I don't want to be mean, but I always thought that all of this was Pete's plan since the beginning so... (it's better if I not continue this phrase).

Cerberusx wrote:
Doesn't King still have his watch, soul thingy that Pete stole, but now King has it? I might be wrong, but if King still has it that's another advantage he has over Pete. The way I see it Pete will lose everytime if his lies and tricks fail since King holds all the cards...at least from my point of view.


Why? The watch don't have no power, it just represent a piece of his soul (his fate, IIRC).

_________________
ImageImage


Wed May 22, 2013 2:27 pm
Profile
laughing maniacally
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:42 pm
Posts: 17169
Location: an invisible, flying volcano over Virginia
Post Re: 2013/05/22 - Tactical Retreat
Gren wrote:
Quote:
If spirit-mortal relationships are OK, with the level of power and capability imbalance that implies, dog-human isn't even on the radar.


Tarot is Peanut's girlfriend, Dragon not. And don't say that it's the same since they are in the same body because they are not the same person at the same time. By that logic then you could say that if Peanut goes on a Date with Tarot and Sabrina as a third party, then that means Peanut is dating with Sabrina too?


I think he was referring to Dragon wanting to be with Peanut, not saying that Tarot and Dragon are the same. It's been pretty well implied that Dragon, separate from Tarot, is interested in Peanut as more than a friend and her avatar's boyfriend.

_________________
I'm a shape-shifter. I'm currently in whatever form I feel like
Image
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets


Wed May 22, 2013 2:44 pm
Profile YIM
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:25 pm
Posts: 1465
Location: BMW-topia
Post Re: 2013/05/22 - Tactical Retreat
Okay, I'm thick right now, King has just two options here, become an avatar or get humanified on the spot, right? (I guess I could go on an archive binge and try to figure it out on my own, but I'm too lazy for that.)

_________________
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair

Wanderer wrote:
You don't need a job, you need money.


Wed May 22, 2013 2:58 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 10:35 am
Posts: 125
Post Re: 2013/05/22 - Tactical Retreat
valerio wrote:
And right now, of all times in King's life, THIS is the moment to choose. THIS is the moment between truly wanting what he had built and going back to an empty existence where the only 'positive' thing would be belonging to humankind.
And Pete's choice of words couldn't be better in this context: he knows what King really wants, and as I said in the previous thread, he is offering him a quid pro quo. After all, Kingy boy, you owe the griffin!


Except we've already seen that Pete's idea of controlling his avatar is a bit more...invasive...than Dragon's. So either way, it will be the end of King.

Allow Pete to surrender and he goes back to being Joel and his new-found life of happiness goes up in smoke as he's arrested and looses the friendship of Fox and the love of Bailey. Become Pete's avatar and he'll loose them anyway since he'll become Pete's slave, likely forced to abandon Bailey at the alter (Pete seems the type), and probably become a jerk to everyone else, isolating himself under Pete's complete domination.

_________________
Image"Remember kids, only you can prevent a fiery apocalypse!"


Wed May 22, 2013 3:11 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:34 pm
Posts: 3186
Location: Noonkkot <32,64,51>
Post Re: 2013/05/22 - Tactical Retreat
Gren wrote:
You can't read between the lines, right? Well, when I said "virtual" I meant that he doesn't have any control of his fate since the cosmic nerds can transform his body again at any moment.
But that's true for everyone.

Quote:
Okay, now I think you are taking this furry thing too far.
Um, this isn't "furry", this is Japanese mythology. It's completely mainstream.

Quote:
I mean, I'm always in favor of animal rights, but it's clearly that they never will be considered equals when they don't have the same intellectual level as us.
Repeating the statement that the animals in Housepets! are intellectually deficient when compared to the humans in Housepets! does not make it true. It is quite clear to me that they are no more "less than human" than different races of humans in our world are. Yes, they have a shorter lifespan, but they also mature faster, and in many ways they seem to be more intelligent than humans of the same age. Analogies between animals in our universe, and discussions of our-universe "animal rights", are at best misleading... particularly when you ignore mythology or dismiss it as "furry".

I'm just treating the HP! universe as science fiction, and asking myself what is internally consistent in that mileau. It's no different from analyzing a Greg Egan, Iain Banks, or Charlie Stross novel for internal consistency. I invite you to do the same, but beware Fridge Horror.

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
well, If King doesn't agree to be his avatar, Pete will lose no matter what. another avatar wouldn't stand a chance against Tarot. So unless King agrees, Pete has no option but to surrender, and since the spell is broken when Pete surrenders, this is just Pete offering the facts. at the time of casting the spell, giving Joel this out would have been a good thing, so it didn't break that rule any more than casting transforming him in the first place. and not telling him he's going to be turned human again would not be intrinsically benevolent.
You're assuming that he is not now lying or hiding options, such as the previously suggested one of appealing to Kitsune for a boon of remaining a dog.

_________________
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton of RA (M Pine Marten #B06060) @


Wed May 22, 2013 3:25 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 10:08 am
Posts: 23
Post Re: 2013/05/22 - Tactical Retreat
Gren wrote:
Well, he's only a dog in appearance, but inside he's still human. He born as human, he was raised as human, he think as human, and he can't ignore his own conscience.



but over the king arcs, he is slowly changing into the mind set of a dog. it's hard to explain, but it seems like he is becoming less joel, and more king.... if that makes any sense.
(sorry for keeping this conversation up, D: i feel bad about it)


Wed May 22, 2013 3:33 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:47 pm
Posts: 1177
Location: Argentina
Post Re: 2013/05/22 - Tactical Retreat
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
I think he was referring to Dragon wanting to be with Peanut, not saying that Tarot and Dragon are the same. It's been pretty well implied that Dragon, separate from Tarot, is interested in Peanut as more than a friend and her avatar's boyfriend.


I know, but he said "spirit-mortal relationships " so he was implying that Dragon and Peanut are dating when we know that's not true. Peanut has a crush on Grape but that doesn't mean they have a relationship.

Indagare wrote:
Become Pete's avatar and he'll loose them anyway since he'll become Pete's slave, likely forced to abandon Bailey at the alter (Pete seems the type), and probably become a jerk to everyone else, isolating himself under Pete's complete domination.


It's hard for that to happen, since in order to make King unhappy, he have to be conscious.

Argent wrote:
But that's true for everyone.


But he's the one who is participating in the game, and more specifically, the one who has been changed in a body that doesn't belong.

Quote:
Repeating the statement that the animals in Housepets! are intellectually deficient when compared to the humans in Housepets! does not make it true. It is quite clear to me that they are no more "less than human" than different races of humans in our world are. Yes, they have a shorter lifespan, but they also mature faster, and in many ways they seem to be more intelligent than humans of the same age. Analogies between animals in our universe, and discussions of our-universe "animal rights", are at best misleading... particularly when you ignore mythology or dismiss it as "furry".


Uh, I was talking about the real world, you know.
And I'm not ignoring mythology, but it seems you are confusing it with "legal rights".

MiloxLuna wrote:
but over the king arcs, he is slowly changing into the mind set of a dog. it's hard to explain, but it seems like he is becoming less joel, and more king.... if that makes any sense.
(sorry for keeping this conversation up, D: i feel bad about it)


But how can you know so much about Joel if we only saw him in just one arc? Besides, he didn't change. As I said before, he only stopped being paranoid and decided to live his current life the best as he can, but he never said he fully accepted all what was happening to him or said he was 100% sure to want to be a dog.

_________________
ImageImage


Last edited by Gren on Wed May 22, 2013 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Wed May 22, 2013 3:44 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 10:08 am
Posts: 23
Post Re: 2013/05/22 - Tactical Retreat
gren wrote:
But how can you know so much about Joel if we only saw him in just one arc? Besides, he didn't change. As he said before, he only stopped being paranoid and decided to live their current life the best as he can, but he never said he fully accepted all what was happening to him or said he was 100% sure to want to be a dog.


first: you are really good at getting back to comments :D

yeah, but with him being so happy during the wedding, and the idea he proposed in the first place, it should be assumed he wants to stay a dog.


Wed May 22, 2013 3:51 pm
Profile
Game Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:54 pm
Posts: 969
Location: In the corner of your eye where you're scared to look
Post Re: 2013/05/22 - Tactical Retreat
Seriously Pete this is just low even for you. Granted its not low enough that bino wouldn't be okay with it but its still low.
Argent wrote:
Quote:
I mean, I'm always in favor of animal rights, but it's clearly that they never will be considered equals when they don't have the same intellectual level as us.
Repeating the statement that the animals in Housepets! are intellectually deficient when compared to the humans in Housepets! does not make it true. It is quite clear to me that they are no more "less than human" than different races of humans in our world are. Yes, they have a shorter lifespan, but they also mature faster, and in many ways they seem to be more intelligent than humans of the same age. Analogies between animals in our universe, and discussions of our-universe "animal rights", are at best misleading... particularly when you ignore mythology or dismiss it as "furry".

I'm just treating the HP! universe as science fiction, and asking myself what is internally consistent in that mileau. It's no different from analyzing a Greg Egan, Iain Banks, or Charlie Stross novel for internal consistency. I invite you to do the same, but beware Fridge Horror.

Yea gren your starting to sound a bit spicist, even in OUR world. Anyone can tell that my cat is just as smart, if not smarter then, my family. He's up to something........

Though seriously how screwed up must this worlds politics be for *goes off on long rant*

_________________
Because it's hard to express tones through just text, you have to make your posts perfect. Forgetting a period can turn a heartfelt apology into a bratty retort. Mis-spell to many words and you look like a idiot.
Think before you post.


Wed May 22, 2013 3:52 pm
Profile
Game Master
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:09 am
Posts: 3391
Location: Wales, a luverrly land with noisy neighbours.
Post Re: 2013/05/22 - Tactical Retreat
Could both sides please stop headbutting brick walls and move on? Better than getting stuck on the point you don't agree on is searching for stuff you DO agree on.

_________________
The Avatar is Commander Hawle of The Loper. He appreciates Hukley as an Artist. As do I.

Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie


Wed May 22, 2013 3:55 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 10:08 am
Posts: 23
Post Re: 2013/05/22 - Tactical Retreat
Welsh Halfwit wrote:
Could both sides please stop headbutting brick walls and move on? Better than getting stuck on the point you don't agree on is searching for stuff you DO agree on.



yeah agreed :/ (even thought the comments are so fun to read xD )


Wed May 22, 2013 3:58 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:34 pm
Posts: 3186
Location: Noonkkot <32,64,51>
Post Re: 2013/05/22 - Tactical Retreat
Gren wrote:
But he's the one who is participating in the game, and more specifically, the one who has been changed in a body that doesn't belong.
Kitsune: "Turning you back to human would take another performance of magic on you."

Conclusion: Pete's lying. the spell isn't just going to time out when the game's over. He's surrendering, when he does, he's no longer bound by the rules, and he can turn him back. And pretend that it was just a spell timing out. And hope GK doesn't call him on it and extend his punishment. The risk is worth it if driving King into a panic makes him accept being an avatar.

Quote:
Uh, I was talking about the real world, you know.
No, I don't. I wasn't talking about the real world at all. I was talking about another imaginary world that has more in common with the Housepets! world than the real world does.

The animals in HP! are not the animals in our world. The only thing at all similar to the animals in Housepets in our world are humans. If you want to find things that look like the HP! animals, and act like the HP! animals, you have to look at myths and legends.

_________________
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton of RA (M Pine Marten #B06060) @


Wed May 22, 2013 4:14 pm
Profile WWW

Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 4:24 pm
Posts: 1
Post Re: 2013/05/22 - Tactical Retreat
Wow. I know there's no way Rick is going to change him back, but King was an bubblegum of a human and it wasn't THAT long ago. There's no way someone with a personality like that and acted that way would even think twice about what Pete had to say. People don't change to the degree that his character has.


Wed May 22, 2013 4:27 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:47 pm
Posts: 1177
Location: Argentina
Post Re: 2013/05/22 - Tactical Retreat
MiloxLuna wrote:
first: you are really good at getting back to comments :D

yeah, but with him being so happy during the wedding, and the idea he proposed in the first place, it should be assumed he wants to stay a dog.


Thank you :D
I tell you this: I always had the theory that the nerds can alter the fate of mortals. Dragon used this resort to put Peanut, Grape and Fido in relationships in order to prevent Pete to make them his avatar. And now I think Pete is doing something similar. I think he's altering the fate of Fox and Bailey, using them to convince King to accept to be his avatar and later he will use it again to make him suffer and then make him a more powerful avatar.

Legotron123 wrote:
Yea gren your starting to sound a bit spicist, even in OUR world. Anyone can tell that my cat is just as smart, if not smarter then, my family. He's up to something........

Though seriously how screwed up must this worlds politics be for *goes off on long rant*


??? I don't even know what are you saying, I am just being realistic. Animals in OUR world are not considered at the same level as humans and are not treated the same way. EVERYONE should know that. Even in HP! world they're not considered equals by humans, so I don't see in what part I am lying. If they (being capable of reasoning, and some of them even having better physical skills than humans) weren't considered equals through thousands of years of history, then it have to be a reason.

Argent wrote:
Kitsune: "Turning you back to human would take another performance of magic on you."

Conclusion: Pete's lying. the spell isn't just going to time out when the game's over. He's surrendering, when he does, he's no longer bound by the rules, and he can turn him back. And pretend that it was just a spell timing out. And hope GK doesn't call him on it and extend his punishment. The risk is worth it if driving King into a panic makes him accept being an avatar.


Uh, what this have to do with what I said before? I've said he's the only one who should be worried about the "body change" thing, because he's one of the few who are conscious about the game and the one who has been changed against the natural order. What you say is most likely true, but that doesn't prevent Pete or whatever other nerd to turn him back to human after the duel have finished.

Quote:
No, I don't. I wasn't talking about the real world at all. I was talking about another imaginary world that has more in common with the Housepets! world than the real world does.

The animals in HP! are not the animals in our world. The only thing at all similar to the animals in Housepets in our world are humans. If you want to find things that look like the HP! animals, and act like the HP! animals, you have to look at myths and legends.


When you quote something about RL and don't say anything about Housepets, then how can you expect to everyone understand your point?

_________________
ImageImage


Wed May 22, 2013 4:39 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:34 pm
Posts: 3186
Location: Noonkkot <32,64,51>
Post Re: 2013/05/22 - Tactical Retreat
Gren wrote:
Uh, what this have to do with what I said before? I've said he's the only one who should be worried about the "body change" thing, because he's one of the few who are conscious about the game and the one who has been changed against the natural order. What you say is most likely true, but that doesn't prevent Pete or whatever other nerd to turn him back to human after the duel have finished.
That's true whether he'd been "changed against the natural order". Pete's got a grudge against him, but he'd have just as much of a grudge against him if he was a regular HP! dog who was stubborn about being an Avatar.

If Pete turns him back, it's because he's a jerk, and turning him back is not in any sense benevolent. He's not simply warning King about the consequences of his surrender.

Quote:
When you quote something about RL and don't say anything about Housepets, then how can you expect to everyone understand your point?
Um, fox yokai (commonly if a little inaccurately referred to as kitsune in English) are not "RL".

_________________
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton of RA (M Pine Marten #B06060) @


Wed May 22, 2013 4:54 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:47 pm
Posts: 1177
Location: Argentina
Post Re: 2013/05/22 - Tactical Retreat
Argent wrote:
That's true whether he'd been "changed against the natural order". Pete's got a grudge against him, but he'd have just as much of a grudge against him if he was a regular HP! dog who was stubborn about being an Avatar.

If Pete turns him back, it's because he's a jerk, and turning him back is not in any sense benevolent. He's not simply warning King about the consequences of his surrender.


So are you saying that to be benevolent he should wait until King dies to continue the duel? Since demi-gods experience time subjectively, I suppose he shouldn't mind, but again, as he said, his only way to win is with King, so he have no choice than make King suffer. However, he could be considered benevolent if after the duel he grants to King a huge reward for passing so much pain.

Quote:
Um, fox yokai (commonly if a little inaccurately referred to as kitsune in English) are not "RL".


Yeah, but you said "Meanwhile, in Japan, they're still wondering why it's a big deal..." after the comment of RioluNation "Humans and dogs are equals. We treat dogs kindly, they treat us kindly back.". Then you was implicitly talking about RL. :roll:

_________________
ImageImage


Wed May 22, 2013 5:26 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
  • Advertisement
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.