Arc #65 The Unbearable Lightness Of Being A Dog

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
valerio

Re: Arc #65 The Unbearable Lightness Of Being A Dog

Post by valerio »

Gren wrote:I can't believe how obsessed the people can be whenever King shows up :?

However, who I am to judge? Just take it easy people, all the answers will come soon.
...because we love the lil guy and can't just sit idle while Rick tortures us with such style? :?
Stuff.

Post by Stuff. »

Gren wrote:I can't believe how obsessed the people can be whenever King shows up :?
It's because Ensemble Darkhorse.

Now you're going to waste two hours of your life. You can thank me later.
*cough*
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Stuff. wrote:

Sooooo... you're saying King is Zero? *lightsaber noises*

I do think King is popular, but not in Emsemblem Darkhorse territory. If you want to think that, you would have to ask yourself this: Is King more popular than Peanut and/or Grape? Judging from the looks of their own stand-alone arcs, I would say no, but King can rival third place.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if King were more popular than Peanut and Grape.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Gren

Post by Gren »

valerio wrote:...because we love the lil guy and can't just sit idle while Rick tortures us with such style? :?
torture? Oh come on, I think you are overreacting. He is just telling a story, but if you take things too seriously is your problem. All the characters have their problems, so I don't know why I should be more sympathetic with King just for being human before and bullied by his own pets when he was a kid, when there's also others characters like Sasha being maltreated by her owner, or Bino with his complex with Fido and being ignored always he is present, or Peanut with his hiding feelings, or Thomas with the unfair distribution of inheritance, etc etc, and I could make a large list.

Don't take me wrong, King is one of my favorite characters, it's just I don't like how people victimize him, because if you remember well, he wasn't a saint in his past. Call it karma or how you prefer, he is just paying for all what he done before. Besides it's not like his new life is a "torture", he have a home, friends, a girlfriend, he don't need to worry for work anymore. He have something good in his hands (paws) if you ask me, so why I should martyr him?
Stuff. wrote: It's because Ensemble Darkhorse.

I doubt it. King was never a second character, he was protagonist since the first time he appeared as a human, being the central character of that arc (A sinister shadow) and has been the same for every arc he's appears.

The case that you cite maybe applies better for Sabrina, who until the arc "Scared Cats" she was just an extra, and only appeared two or three times (and not spoke until the arc Theme park world), but after that, she grew up as a character, and began to appear in many more arcs (and even starred some ones) and had her own prose.
GameCobra wrote: but King can rival third place.
He was always the third place, I thought that was clear. The next places I assume are between Tarot, Pete, Fido, Bino, Maxwell, Keene and Sabrina.
Sleet wrote:Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if King were more popular than Peanut and Grape.
That's because he is the only character with a continuous storyline. That's what the people feel more attracted. King is the only character that we can expect a outcome of his story because he "have one". The others characters are not much involved in it (except for Pete and Tarot maybe) and only can seeing them in isolated and not related arcs. If there was a plot (or plots) that involve more characters, probably the popularity of King could drop.

If you remember, when all the issue of the GrapeNut was in the top, they were much more popular than now but not just because the shipping stuff, It was due that you could expect a outcome of this mess, and when the outcome arrived, their popularity started to fade.

People likes drama, and loves the cliff-hanging. That's the real reason why King is so popular now.

Mod Edit: Please do not double post. If you need to add new information to a thread and yours is the most recent post, you may use the edit button in its upper-right corner.
ImageImage
Karl

Post by Karl »

Gren wrote:
valerio wrote:...because we love the lil guy and can't just sit idle while Rick tortures us with such style? :?
torture? Oh come on, I think you are overreacting. He is just telling a story, but if you take things too seriously is your problem.
I believe that V guy was just making a joke.
I'm a bookworm!
Gren

Post by Gren »

Karlos wrote:
Gren wrote:
torture? Oh come on, I think you are overreacting. He is just telling a story, but if you take things too seriously is your problem.
I believe that V guy was just making a joke.
when I said "you" I was talking in general, wasn't pointing anyone in specific. However, you can't ignore the fact that there's people who takes this too seriously, that was the real point though I wasn't judging them, just saying that there's a lot characters suffering once in a while, so that's not a reason to take King as a victim, he's just living his life, like everyone else do, but it's seem that being part of a Cosmic Game makes your life worst than anyone.
ImageImage
valerio

Post by valerio »

Gren wrote:
Sleet wrote:Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if King were more popular than Peanut and Grape.
That's because he is the only character with a continuous storyline. That's what the people feel more attracted. King is the only character that we can expect a outcome of his story because he "have one". The others characters are not much involved in it (except for Pete and Tarot maybe) and only can seeing them in isolated and not related arcs. If there was a plot (or plots) that involve more characters, probably the popularity of King could drop.

If you remember, when all the issue of the GrapeNut was in the top, they were much more popular than now but not just because the shipping stuff, It was due that you could expect a outcome of this mess, and when the outcome arrived, their popularity started to fade.

People likes drama, and loves the cliff-hanging. That's the real reason why King is so popular now.
That's YOUR opinion, and you're rightfully entitled to it, but please do not make assumptions for us.
I love King because he's an incredibly complex character with a lot of developments ahead, and not one of them predictable.
I STILL love Peanut and Grape because they are the cutest couple. I'd love them even more if they were boyfriend/girlfriend, but even now they make for a great fun to read.
And there are reasons for which I love practically every character of the cast. Rick can work miracles when it comes to characterize in a couple of panels the most obscure character, that's what gives the whole comic a unique imprint.
Now, if YOU have your own opinion, again you're welcome to express it. But frankly what you said does not reflect my preferences. And if I root more for a character than for another it's because it's written well and I feel sympathy for him/her.
Gren

Post by Gren »

valerio wrote: That's YOUR opinion, and you're rightfully entitled to it, but please do not make assumptions for us.
I love King because he's an incredibly complex character with a lot of developments ahead, and not one of them predictable.
I STILL love Peanut and Grape because they are the cutest couple. I'd love them even more if they were boyfriend/girlfriend, but even now they make for a great fun to read.
And there are reasons for which I love practically every character of the cast. Rick can work miracles when it comes to characterize in a couple of panels the most obscure character, that's what gives the whole comic a unique imprint.
Now, if YOU have your own opinion, again you're welcome to express it. But frankly what you said does not reflect my preferences. And if I root more for a character than for another it's because it's written well and I feel sympathy for him/her.
Wow, my english must be really poor because people never can get my point (I'm not being sarcastic).
First, don't take it personal, because like I said before, I was speaking in general.
Second, don't put words that never left from my mouth. I'm not saying that the story is bad related, I'm not saying that the characters can't be loved without a story, and take for sure I'm not saying to anyone what they should like and what not.
The point of my previous post was that when people in general (not you) get attracted to a story, that causes them to have a feeling known as "curiosity", wanting to know what's going to happen next, and sometimes (not always) this awake in many people a bit of obsession. I'm not saying this is a universal rule, but for what I saw until now, this is the reason for the popularity scale of the HP characters. People gets more excited when theres a great storyline in background, because it makes them worry or make theories, and generate more discussion between the fans.
I love funny arcs too (like I said before, this was the reason that made me keep reading and became a fan of the series), but if you compare this kind of arcs like Noob Tube or The Prensent, with arcs like Imaginate, Too! or Dog Days of Summer, you could easy see that people were more excited in this last ones just by the number of comments. And of course, if people get more excited, this also means that they feels much more attracted or identified with the characters that involves this stories (after all, the characters are who make a story popular).

I hope you can get my point now. All the characters are lovable, but people (not all, but yes so many) get more attracted to the ones who have a story in background because this awake them the spark of curiosity, wanting to know and worry about the future of the caracter/s.
ImageImage
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I think the point is that King has a lot of fans because of the fact that he's involved in a more coherent storyline, correct? Well, that and that he's adorable.

I would agree that's a significant contributor to King's popularity. I just, personally, don't like him more because of it. I still prefer Peanut and Grape over him, and I wish we saw them more. But I acknowledge that Rick is writing this comic for all his fans, not just me.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

I like him because I was under the impression his story is about redemption. I worry for him because he's hiding a terrible secret that could totally destroy that WHOLE THING. It means that for the REAL King/Joel, it would mean that there was NEVER anything there to begin with. Having said that, I don't think that's the case.

Also, he's in a situation almost totally outside his control, and he's not always handling it well. Maybe that's why he's being how he is now: he's either trying to figure out how Bailey can handle things SO well and him SO poorly, or he wants to confirm that he's not alone in how he deals with things by getting Bailey to be as upset as HE would be, and thereby be vindicated. :? Long story short, I think he's looking for a explanation or reason for the way things are.
MapleRatty

Post by MapleRatty »

We'll all find out how it goes tommorrow I guess

I hope Fox doesnt get involved...I REALLY hope Fox doesnt involved :oops:
Stuff.

Post by Stuff. »

Wow, I actually indirectly started a mini-debate. Huh.
GameCobra wrote:
Stuff. wrote:

Sooooo... you're saying King is Zero? *lightsaber noises*
That makes me wonder just what King is FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRR

I'm sorry.
*cough*
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

I like the King character and his unique perspective, though he is just a fish-out-of-water thing...

My favorite character is Fox, and I would love to see him in every arc! So there.... :lol:

As for the comic, it is an interesting point brought up about how King might be looking at Bailey's situation because of his own. I hadn't thought of that... :?
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

hehe ok then that was really adorable. :P
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

We must name the snake now.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

You know I kind of realized something here this is likely kind of why Pets are Pets and human still rule the world in this universe. Living in the moment is fine and all and it works sure; however I think animals in this universe basically never, ever stopped living only in the moment and thought of the future. So they never got anywhere and just became kind of stuck in the same rut as always.

(PS. I know I’m going to be told I’m over thinking this but its an interesting way of looking at it)
DingoVolf
Location: It was unwise to wake the 3-eyed cat, but we did it anyways, and now look at us. Whatever you do,

Post by DingoVolf »

Those little phrases of affection are actually very similar to the ones my mate and I were saying to eachother in the earlier years of our relationship. Now we're not around deer parts as much, and the words have changed, but the feelings are still there. :)

Too right about animals living in the 'now', and I like how that is an active aspect of the Housepets! personalities. Makes you wonder, in whatever reckoning Pete would have happen, would animals find a new level of freedom and equality, only to be burdened with a newfound worry for the unknown future? Their tree of knowledge may bear fruit just as poisonous as it was for humans.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That last panel is just painful, Rick. *giggles*
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

We've got Poncho hitting on Sasha, and we have King totally missing the point buried in all of Rodney and Snow's mushiness. :3 (That point being, i.e., LIGHTEN UP, YOU DORK!)

Snow is really gravid. Any chance she could whelp right here? :P
valerio

Post by valerio »

Heh, surely them pups look like they're kicking a lot! :D
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Kitch wrote:We've got Poncho hitting on Sasha, and we have King totally missing the point buried in all of Rodney and Snow's mushiness. :3 (That point being, i.e., LIGHTEN UP, YOU DORK!)

Well I will admit that would be an interesting shock for this arc.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Well ain't that adorable? Wolf Pups X3 ~ And Rick, stop eating the circle of life.

Glad to see Rodney and Snow are becoming parents. They honestly struck me as a younger Miles and Lucrecia (Although no doubt overly dramatic). Considering this is the wolf family we're talking about, the newborn theory works well in their favor the best. I wonder if we will see any law-abiding rules with their children in the future?

And this is just me being nitpicky, but Rodney looks wide in Panel 3.
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

If you look at the sketch of him posted in the TWC incentive, I think he's meant to be beefy. Maybe she was hunting for him before she got pregnant. ;3
GameCobra wrote:Glad to see Rodney and Snow are becoming parents. They honestly struck me as a younger Miles and Lucrecia (Although no doubt overly dramatic).
I imagined them as a young couple last year in the Holiday at the Zoo arc. Makes sense they would be more mushy. Didn't know if they were actually mates or just courting, though.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Kitch wrote:If you look at the sketch of him posted in the TWC incentive, I think he's meant to be beefy. Maybe she was hunting for him before she got pregnant. ;3
Huh. Never noticed. I always pictured him fair in size.
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

that corgi do not want
ImageImage
ImageImage
valerio

Post by valerio »

IceKitsune wrote:
Kitch wrote:We've got Poncho hitting on Sasha, and we have King totally missing the point buried in all of Rodney and Snow's mushiness. :3 (That point being, i.e., LIGHTEN UP, YOU DORK!)

Well I will admit that would be an interesting shock for this arc.
Weapon of MASS DISTRACTION!! :D :D
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

GameCobra wrote:Huh. Never noticed. I always pictured him fair in size.
He was drawn a little thinner in the Holiday at the Zoo arc, but he wasn't exactly pencilly then, either. It may be time + new style.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Kitch wrote:
GameCobra wrote:Huh. Never noticed. I always pictured him fair in size.
...It may be time + new style.
And nachos with cheese sauce.
I'm a bookworm!
kavviyenta

Post by kavviyenta »

At least it's not a naked party, not that that keep Poncho from showing off his scar. Wouldn't be a surprise if he's the omega. Unless Daryl is.

Hadn't caught a rabbit since Cheetos? Can he catch Zach before Miles's cubs does?
http://valito.deviantart.com/ my deviant gallery, nope there's no housepets in it

Unless you like Lilo & Stitch, kinda wish to see the experiments in housepets style
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I think he probably knows better than to try to hurt a pet.
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Sinder wrote:that corgi do not want
Ew, who wants corgis? *bricked*
TinFoilHats

Post by TinFoilHats »

This arc actually made me very depressed. Just seeing King and Bailey fight like that makes me afraid for the future of their relationship. I just don't like it when people fight(be it they fictional or not), and I want them to be happy.
I AM RUBBER, YOU ARE GLUE!!!!

Post by 0404 »

TinFoilHats wrote:This arc actually made me very depressed. Just seeing King and Bailey fight like that makes me afraid for the future of their relationship. I just don't like it when people fight(be it they fictional or not), and I want them to be happy.
If Baily and Kings break up, Housepets breaks up with it. I'm sure that won't happen.

is today's strip some kind of forshadowing?
valerio

Post by valerio »

kavviyenta wrote:At least it's not a naked party, not that that keep Poncho from showing off his scar. Wouldn't be a surprise if he's the omega. Unless Daryl is.

Hadn't caught a rabbit since Cheetos? Can he catch Zach before Miles's cubs does?
Rick already said, if I remember well, that he's not going to apply the 'wolf rules' of our world to the HPverse.
In fact, otherwise Rodney and Snow couldn't have had cubs.
And FFD Jack would be the omega due to his physical limitation.
Gren

Post by Gren »

hahaha I had the same reaction than King, when I opened the web page the first thing that I saw was that pregnant belly, I just did my head back and said to myself "WHATHEF!!", after I get a full impression of the image and return to normal :lol:

That Poncho is a totally a "lady hunter" :twisted: ... and I thought he was kind of shy

Four Fingers looks like a real gangster, being against the wall throwing a coin in the air 8-)

I suspect that this thing about "living the here and now" is going to be the key of something important in this arc. I have some theories of what could happen but I don't want to get people paranoid, especially because there are some ones too sensible (not for my coments, about what happen in the comic). I only going to say that I think that all what King said to Bailey hit in a sensitive fiber and now she is crying and thinking that there is some truth in his words, and that make her more depressed. I suspect Tarot is going to intervene somehow (probably approaching to Bailey and comforting her) and King is going to misinterpret the situation and thinking this is a move to put her in the Game when probably she is doing the totally opposite. At first is going to be a mess, but at the end all is going to fix, because that is the magic of Christmas ;)

Thats all, I don't want blood spilling (specially towards me) so it's better I shut up right now.
ImageImage
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Wow. Drama; drama everywhere.

Oh, and obnoxiously lovey-dovey pet names are the best.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

My word, I must have slipped into a cute induced coma from the last comic! I just woke up! :shock:

Just back away king, nice and slow...

A snake? Valerio is going to have a field day with this one... :roll:
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
Karl

Post by Karl »

Hey... I see Santa on the other side of the window!
I'm a bookworm!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

texascat018 wrote:
TinFoilHats wrote:This arc actually made me very depressed. Just seeing King and Bailey fight like that makes me afraid for the future of their relationship. I just don't like it when people fight(be it they fictional or not), and I want them to be happy.
If Baily and Kings break up, Housepets breaks up with it. I'm sure that won't happen.

is today's strip some kind of forshadowing?
How could the whole strip end just from the breakup of a couple that hasn't even been around long?