For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2019/08/09 - Waterworks

Post by D-Rock »

[2019/08/09 - Waterworks]
Title Text: No, it won't all go the way it should

No quip. Only tears.

...okay, a little quip.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
IceKitsune

Re: 2019/08/09 - Waterworks

Post by IceKitsune »

I just want to hug him now.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Does this mean Lois doesn't believe Marion, but is willing to play along?
IceKitsune wrote:I just want to hug him now.
Lois has you covered on that.
The cape comes with the promotion.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Finally, a hug. She doesn't believe him yet, but I think shes on that road.

And no Fox or Fido even in the background. I think she did ditch them.

And, finally, the breakdown. He needed to go through that at some point.
Last edited by dr_eirik on Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Me too. :(
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I feel like the alt-text is a personal jab.

This strip brings new meaning to "ugly crying."

Lois "Girlfriend of the Year"
Although there is no indication of whether or not she believes him but it is a step forward. I want to say that last comment is cross between "I still think this is a prank" and "Okay, clearly this serious."

Random note, listening to Taylor Swift's "Safe and Sound" really works with this strip.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
anhedral

Post by anhedral »

Wow. Don't remember seeing such raw emotion in HP! since Fox 'lost' it with King/Joel way back in Heaven's Not Enough Part 1. Bravo, Rick.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Poor little guy. Tears have a solvent effect on mistrust - hope it lasts 'til Monday.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

When no-one believes you, your dreams are crushed;
all your nightmares descend when you’re awake.
When your future dissolves in a mad minute
there’s only so much pain you can take.
The gentler hand doesn’t sooth your fear,
the juddering feeling is all you own.
The gentle touch is all you want to feel
to tell you don’t reap what you’ve not sown.
Tears of a youth blossom in desperation;
no hidden truth can ever make them come forth.
Hold to her, she is your new salvation.
On your life’s compass, she is your new North.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

anhedral wrote:Wow. Don't remember seeing such raw emotion in HP! since Fox 'lost' it with King/Joel way back in Heaven's Not Enough Part 1. Bravo, Rick.
Maybe Fox laying his feeling about Sabrina and Fido in the K9PD arc. He doesn't go to this well often, but when he does he makes you really care about a couple characters in a comic strip.

There are just some little touches. Lois takes off the glove once he breaks down. The flash of her bracelet. Marion still keeps his sense of humor. His lament that no one has listened to him.

I'm glad that this is not the cliffhanger before guest week. Almost makes me afraid of what's going to happen next.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Frank

Post by Frank »

dr_eirik wrote:Finally, a hug. She doesn't believe him yet, but I think shes on that road.
Well, if Marion would break down like that... that may be reason enough
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

Lois is on her way to believing, but I think the big "OMG the squirrel IS Marion" moment will probably be when Marion isn't actively trying to convince her, but rather when Marion does or says something casual and off-hand, without thinking, that she knows only Marion would do or say.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Okay since the alt-text is foreboding, I'm going to avoid posting my usual theories list and go back to the old system until Mon or Wed when we have more information about the plot's progression.

Option 1:
Mon- Fox and Fido finally show up to the scene
Wed- Fox tells them about Tarot and they go skipping along through the forest

Option 2:
Mon- Lois and Marion have a LONG overdue talk. Where Marion finally manages to voice his feelings and concerns and tells her about his day.
Wed- Fox and Fido appear and tell them about Tarot

Option 3 (the least likely because it really doesn't make much sense when you think about it):
Mon- Marion tells Lois about his day
Wed- With no other option Lois takes Marion back to her home for a goodnight's sleep
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Is anyone else actively upset by the alt text?
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Marion can make no promises about what Kari will do.
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

Awwww, now you have someone on your team Marion
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Hasn't that been everyone's wish for months now?
Legotron123 wrote:Is anyone else actively upset by the alt text?
Be afraid.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

I teared up while reading this. Real big catharsis for Marion, leading right into a big (and much-needed) hug. I’m glad that he finally let it all out, and finally has someone who believes him and is ready to help him. Rick outdid himself with the expressions, the panel composition, and the writing here. Amazing work.
fenrirblack wrote:Although there is no indication of whether or not she believes him but it is a step forward. I want to say that last comment is cross between "I still think this is a prank" and "Okay, clearly this serious."
I think Lois believes Marion now. That kind of emotional breakdown isn’t something that anybody can summon up on command for the sake of perpetuating a mere prank. I’m not the best at reading body language, but the way Lois stops gripping Marion and takes the glove off and holds it, looking like she’s fidgeting with it a bit, combined with her expression, makes me think that Lois is taking it all in. She’s processing the info in the text messages, Marion’s disappearance, and this squirrel’s very emotional reaction to not being believed, putting it all together and realizing “Oh my gosh, it is him, isn’t it?”

Marion’s saying both lines at the end; it just isn’t clear because Marion is obscuring Lois’ face and the way the word bubbles are positioned. That feels like the kind of comic relief thing that gets said when everything gets cleared up and characters finally get on the same page about a situation. It just didn’t have a “Now that you believe me...” as a preface to it to hard confirm for the readers.

Regarding the alt text, I think it’s referring to the comedy/tragedy of errors that led Marion to this breakdown and Lois finally believing him rather than anything forboding about the future. Like, imagine the alt text is talking to Marion and saying that to him before he starts sobbing.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote:Okay since the alt-text is foreboding, I'm going to avoid posting my usual theories list and go back to the old system until Mon or Wed when we have more information about the plot's progression.
I'm not sure what to make of the alt text. We've had so many theories flying around that it's hard to say what's next.

A few of the disturbing possibilities, Lois is squirrelified by whatever effected Marion, Fox and Fido went off to get a human cop who will detain the squirrel, attempted predation...

I just have a feeling that, at the least, Rick dangled Fox and Fido in front of is as a red herring. That somehow, they are going home and not connecting with the pets they need.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Ash Greytree wrote:Marion’s saying both lines at the end; it just isn’t clear because Marion is obscuring Lois’ face and the way the word bubbles are positioned. That feels like the kind of comic relief thing that gets said when everything gets cleared up and characters finally get on the same page about a situation. It just didn’t have a “Now that you believe me...” as a preface to it to hard confirm for the readers.
Thank you most kindly for pointing that out!
Now that last panel reads much clearer!
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Feel like Rick would have made that much more clear if that was the case, like have the second balloon tail reach higher and the first go lower.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Yeah, I was trying to figure out how Lois thought a squirrel was going to post anything to Instagram. It is much clearer now. Even the little look shes giving him.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

I'm not so sure. If it was the same person talking it would make more sense to be one connected bubble like in panel 5, though having separate balloons is viable. It wouldn't be the squirrel posting this to Instagram, it would be the human Marion in the reeds recording Lois hugging a squirrel to complete the prank.
The cape comes with the promotion.
anhedral

Post by anhedral »

Ash Greytree wrote:Marion’s saying both lines at the end;
Hate to disagree, but I think the left-hand speech bubble is by Lois. Rick is really fastidious about the layout of speech in comics; he's posted about this separately. If both lines had been by Marion he'd have found a way to indicate this - for instance, by drawing a link between the two speech bubbles.

The way I read it, the final panel is a bit of nervous banter between the two of them. It's encouraging, though, because it hints at more communication to come.
Mr. Whisper

Post by Mr. Whisper »

D-Rock wrote: Title Text: No, it won't all go the way it should
Well of course it won't! Then the arc would end too soon. My bet is that Kari and Marion were followed by the badger.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

dr_eirik wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:Okay since the alt-text is foreboding, I'm going to avoid posting my usual theories list and go back to the old system until Mon or Wed when we have more information about the plot's progression.
I'm not sure what to make of the alt text. We've had so many theories flying around that it's hard to say what's next.

A few of the disturbing possibilities, Lois is squirrelified by whatever effected Marion, Fox and Fido went off to get a human cop who will detain the squirrel, attempted predation...

I just have a feeling that, at the least, Rick dangled Fox and Fido in front of is as a red herring. That somehow, they are going home and not connecting with the pets they need.
Now I’m thinking Rick is basically saying “Aww, you think now that Lois is here and believes him everything is going to work out. Fox is going to take them to Tarot and explain everything then Marion is going home to live as a squirrel for the next few years. Well too bad. Remember the theme of this comic is ‘You can’t always get what you want.’” Now I’m starting to think he’s going to drag this out. But at the same time what does Rick think we think is the “way it should go?” Because what the way I think it should go is different from what others think it should go so who knows.
For now I’m going to stick with my plan if Fox shows up (because if he seriously wasn’t going to appear as the hero then why have him on this assignment) and take them to Tarot. We’ve already established that she can’t do anything other than explain the history of the comic and that’s good enough for now.
Also Steward popping out of the bushes with the coin is a strong possibility because if it shouldn’t happen then it will happen and mess up Marion’s heartfelt reunion.
anhedral wrote:
Ash Greytree wrote:Marion’s saying both lines at the end;
Hate to disagree, but I think the left-hand speech bubble is by Lois. Rick is really fastidious about the layout of speech in comics; he's posted about this separately. If both lines had been by Marion he'd have found a way to indicate this - for instance, by drawing a link between the two speech bubbles.

The way I read it, the final panel is a bit of nervous banter between the two of them. It's encouraging, though, because it hints at more communication to come.
I don’t understand the confusion. Clearly the first bubble is Lois talking because like Wallace said she jokingly or seriously expects that it’s part of Marion’s master prank and he’s filming this from the shadows. Or even just nervous banter because she’s slowly coming to accept that despite how impossible it is, clearly this squirrel is Marion.
Hyenalover222

Post by Hyenalover222 »

~but I know, the heart of life is good~
Previously TwoManyTwos

"RISE MY ARMY OF MANGO ZOMBIES, AND DEFILE THEIR CLEANLINESS!"
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

fenrirblack wrote: For now I’m going to stick with my plan if Fox shows up (because if he seriously wasn’t going to appear as the hero then why have him on this assignment) and take them to Tarot.
Haven't you learnt by now? Fox is NEVER the hero, even in his own story!
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

I think we all do.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Nathan Kerbonaut

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

I love this strip but I hate it :cry: Well done Rick, you've got me eager and scared to see what's next.
Pumkin6

Post by Pumkin6 »

Did anyone else read the title as a sort of pun? Like, "What works when trying to convince someone of something unbelievable? Water works."
There's a new question now. Exactly what will go wrong, and to what degree?
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

leinglo wrote:Lois is on her way to believing, but I think the big "OMG the squirrel IS Marion" moment will probably be when Marion isn't actively trying to convince her, but rather when Marion does or says something casual and off-hand, without thinking, that she knows only Marion would do or say.
I think she does believe him, but maybe just barely. After all this is a situation hard to believe even if you're there personally.
It took also a while for Marion to believe the situation he was in and since Lois seems to be a very rational person maybe she just very confused because well...what could the explanation be for her boyfriend getting turned into a squirrel?
Argent

Post by Argent »

Hugging a soggy squirrel. She's at least half way convinced.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

I know this has been said, but ow, do I feel bad for this little squirrel.
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

Don't threaten to bite her earlobe. That might activate something you don't want right now.
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Pumkin6 wrote:Did anyone else read the title as a sort of pun? Like, "What works when trying to convince someone of something unbelievable? Water works."
I'm curious about that myself. "No, it won't all go the way it should" makes me think that, again, something is going to happen to Marion...like Lois tries to tell his mother but his mother won't believe her or something like that.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

I reckon Steward's gonna show up and ruin it.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

SeanWolf wrote:
Pumkin6 wrote:Did anyone else read the title as a sort of pun? Like, "What works when trying to convince someone of something unbelievable? Water works."
I'm curious about that myself. "No, it won't all go the way it should" makes me think that, again, something is going to happen to Marion...like Lois tries to tell his mother but his mother won't believe her or something like that.
That seems like a pretty likely step, even if Marion is able to get help from Tarot or some other knowledgeable source, it's a lot for anyone to absorb. The idea that his mother may reject this explanation is actually pretty reasonable. It also could greatly complicate Marions already over complicated situation. As far as the evidence he left behind, the last one who may have had contact with Marion is Marion. As far as the world is concerned, there is still a missing teenager, after all. Assuming Marion isn't changed back, the powers that be will have to at least be satisfied that Marion doesn't know about Marion.

I was thinking about how this might go from here. If things were going to look up for Marion from this point, I think this page would have made a good chapter end. So who pops up now?

The most likely are Fox and Fido, who are possibly just off panel. If they witnessed all this, then the chance that they will take some level of control is pretty high. This seems to lead toward the happiest that we can expect from here.

There is also the chance that Karishad is still there. I picture him looking wistfully at the tear-filled reunion, hands under his chin, saying "I'm going to lose my lunch... literally. She carrying it away..." He's a wildcard, but he also knows what's going on. But Kari rarely seems to be a character that the plot hinges on. He's usually off on the edge nudging things along.

Tarot and/or Sabrina could show up. It depends a lot on just how much power either of them still have. That would be a bit strange since being led there is so easy. I could also see a jump-cut to their house.

Then I started wondering about the less likely appearances. I consider Steward making and active appearance unlikely. I think he could show up as having witnessed this, but not get actively involved.

A Celestial could show up. Kitsune being the most obvious, but perhaps we are about the veer into a really odd direction. Rick has thrown major curves before. What if this is a Heavenly screw-up and Cerebus I'has to come down to repair the damage?

The dino-demon, if he's responsible, is another possibility. That would really add a level of chaos to things, but we never saw that he had this kind of power.
fenrirblack wrote: I don’t understand the confusion. Clearly the first bubble is Lois talking because like Wallace said she jokingly or seriously expects that it’s part of Marion’s master prank and he’s filming this from the shadows. Or even just nervous banter because she’s slowly coming to accept that despite how impossible it is, clearly this squirrel is Marion.
I went back and forth on this, and I think the missing piece in my head is that I kinda forgot that Lois still isn't 100'% convinced that this is Marion. I think there is a rational part of her mind that still thinks that's the most likely explanation for all this (because, frankly, it is).
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Also find the threat to bite ones ears as more of a rodent thing, and Marion was briefly shown to be a tad bit in touch with squirrel actions like dashing up the tree so quickly.
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

Wherever it goes, I just think it's going to get a lot more complicated than we can predict. :shock: