Old Comic Discussion: "Imaginate" to "Imaginate, too!"

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
GameCobra

Re: current comic

Post by GameCobra »

Alright, let me put in my two cents:

I don't think this is a shift in the genre of the comic at all.

What i think people (and you too, Ebly <_< >_>) are misunderstanding here is that Pete represents the magic in the comic that Rick wants to introduce. similar to Tarot.

It may sound like its a genre change or a coincidence, but in my opinion, it's not a genre change if you introduce at least a few characters that seem out of this world, real or not real. Afterall, it is a fictional world. it then makes the comic a little more interesting in the sense that this is what we come to expect from the comic where everything is fictional, but want everything else kept the way it is. It's like adding a series of pets that act similar to the Addams family in the comic.

You should wait til after the new year. i'm sure everything will go back to it's old merry ways that most of you guys have come to enjoy. but in the meantime, enjoy the magic <3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Well, I can certainly see the points of Ebly and the other doubters on this issue. However, I feel that I cannot stress enough that this is just a Web comic. Not everything that happens in even the most orderly universe can be easily explained. Ultimately, the comic is a form of expression and who are we to criticize the author, huh?

Remember that even before Pete came along the main characters in this comic were demihumans, pets and other animals that can talk and reason. No explanation has been forthcoming, but the first posts in this thread do not question or criticize the logic behind that.

I'm not attacking anyone's opinion here; just trying to put things in perspective.

Meanwhile, I think most of us saw the "Joel turns into a dog" thing coming. Now to see whether it's temporary or Joel runs out of the courthouse and is struck by a car.

Silly Pete apologists, trying to claim that he's not evil.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

Guys, for those who are worried about a forever genre shift, nope. I have January's arc in mind, and it does not involve Pete or magic. Because I can do that.

Anyway, here is panel three no word balloons:
kingissarcastic.png
kingissarcastic.png (8.48 KiB) Viewed 15801 times
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

point 1: I agree with Ebly and Co., to an extent
point 2: I figure that experimentation with stories is what makes great writers great
point 3: I got really confused there for a second and wondered why on Earth Tiger, Marvin, and Zach's owner was in jail.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

No no no, Jerry has the long pointy chin!
Frooxius

Post by Frooxius »

Oh and I forgot: where we could apply a request for Pete, to change us to animals too? I'm sure a lot of people would welcome that, especially in these cold days in the morning (at least in here), having fur will be definitely useful. :D

Also, it's a temporary shift of genre then (something like The Simpsons Halloween special)? Or no shift at all and everything will be logically explained (still could be synchronized dreaming (I like that term. Synchronized hallucinating, synchronized shopping, synchronized writing of forum posts, synchronized eating... omg I forgot to synchronize my PDA with the main computer) created by Tarot :D ), but in very surprising and awesome way as usual, when everybody will think "how come I didn't think of that?!?"). :)
hug_overflow.asm wrote: LOOP: HUG #Peanut, #Grape
PUSH ACC
JMP LOOP
NoelL

Post by NoelL »

I actually like where this is going.

Do... do I have to leave the forum now?
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

NoelL wrote:I actually like where this is going.

WITCH! WITCH!
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
NoelL

Post by NoelL »

edit: that's too nerdy, even for this forum.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Is it just me or is King shorter than other dogs? I think even Joey would be taller than him.
Richarson Valley
Edward S4 P8 E6 C8 I9 A3 L5
Shanks S7 P5 E6 C7 I4 A6 L7

Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

NoelL wrote:I actually like where this is going.

Run now.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Tails++ wrote:Also, it's a temporary shift of genre then (something like The Simpsons Halloween special)?
It's sort of like that.

Think of it like this:

Pretend the Crazy Cat Lady from the simpsons secretly had the power to do whatever she wants, since she's secretly a witch. She, by the fans now, knows she can do whatever she wants.

Suddenly on Christmas, Bart is making fun of Snowball, Lisa's dead cat, and he shows no signs even from Lisa that he's going to stop soon either. His extent suddenly goes to the Crazy Cat Lady on christmas and she teaches him a lesson: Transform him into a cat.

Bart and Joel's situations are nearly identical now. While no doubt both individuals can see where this is going, story-wise, they both have been hit by some godly-power on a holiday to get some changes done and make the story more sweeter where that normally crony person (The Scrooge) gets a taste of christmas.

In the timespan that Rick has to cover with his comic, i can see in the comments section also he can't always get the viewers to agree with the way the comic is going since two months can seem like forever and may even feel like it's a change for the better/worse.

You can take it from a patient reader like myself (With the exception of the N-ple Date arc <_< >_>): It's not a temporary genre shift. consider it a comic special. magic and pretty things happen all the time on christmas specials, real or not. =P
Last edited by GameCobra on Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

Hmm...how do I organize my thoughts on this...

First off, I really need to say: the "It's just a webcomic" argument is getting old on so many levels. What is that even supposed to mean? That webcomics are automatically a lower tier than comics of other varieties? That we're not allowed to compare it to our perceived standards? That the internet instantly downgrades quality? And that we can't share our opinion because of that? Even then, there are other comics of the web-based variety that we can compare this comic to, so I really wonder why that argument is valid. Can anyone tell me?

Second off: When entering into any form of fiction, you give a willing suspension of disbelief to retain a premise and some "givens." The way (I thought) housepets was presented was as an alternate universe, rather than a fantasy universe. (...oh hush. You know what I mean) Hence, no magic. Tarot was okay, because her personality and silly use of her powers made her fit in with the rest of the cast and their antics quite well. Like adding the right spice to a well cooked steak. Pete almost forces a second willing suspension of disbelief due to his personality and use of powers. His character changed entirely, from appearance to personality; follow this up with semi-omnipotence and powerful magic and it's an unsettling change from the norm. I'm not worried about the comic, it's direction; I'm worried about the character Pete and what he can do. I can't help but draw parallels between him and Sarda (from 8-Bit Theater), and I suppose that's where most of the worry comes from; Pete randomly appearing and forcing the other characters to do something random. To sum it all up: This just feels different, detached. A side story maybe. Something like that. Except that it's currently perceived not to be a side story, but canon. (Of course, if this really all is a dream sequence of some sort, I'll be eating all of my words. THE ODDS ARE AGAINST ME! But I'll take the bet regardless...)

Third off: I also like where this arc is going because it looks like it will be entertaining, especially when Joel/King meets up with Fido and Fox. I understand that there really wasn't any other way to set this up, and it is all very interesting, but it just...seems a little odd. That's all. So, NoelL, you have no need to run.
Retired RP Character List (Sorry guys)
Richardson Valley: Venison and Ochen
Brookshire Meadows: Trinket
Oasis Towers: Jaxeh and Klack
Dylan
Box Fox

Post by Dylan »

Buckdida wrote:Hmm...how do I organize my thoughts on this...

First off, I really need to say: the "It's just a webcomic" argument is getting old on so many levels. What is that even supposed to mean? That webcomics are automatically a lower tier than comics of other varieties? That we're not allowed to compare it to our perceived standards? That the internet instantly downgrades quality? And that we can't share our opinion because of that? Even then, there are other comics of the web-based variety that we can compare this comic to, so I really wonder why that argument is valid. Can anyone tell me?
Its just another way of saying chill out. Speaking of which...you need to chill out too. :D
Make Pasta not war.
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

Dylan wrote:
Buckdida wrote:Hmm...how do I organize my thoughts on this...

Its just another way of saying chill out. Speaking of which...you need to chill out too. :D
Oh, hush, you! :lol:
Retired RP Character List (Sorry guys)
Richardson Valley: Venison and Ochen
Brookshire Meadows: Trinket
Oasis Towers: Jaxeh and Klack
Two_Twig

Post by Two_Twig »

Everyone sure did have a lot to say, so I'll keep this short, since most of it has already been said.

For myself (and maybe two others I think?), I can appreciate where this comic is headed. I do because when look upon this arc and recent ones, I act under the assumption that they only serve as a temporary dislodge from the "norm" (however the 'norm' was perceived in this comic) in order to build around the enchantment and allure of the holidays. The title of the arc says it all; A clear parody reference to a tale well known for the theme of an out of body experience (i.e. A Christmas Carol), and an indication to the direction these arcs may be heading. If the comic has been operating under a heavy suspension of disbelief since the start, then I have some difficulty seeing how this arc should serve as discomforting or alien. I understand the 'Calvin and Hobbes' semblance this comic's foundations were built from seem like they're fading from the face of today, with the direct usage of magic now being off putting for most, but I never assumed before that this comic in particular would stay that way forever, and really a little flight of fantasy can't hurt anyone. You'll see, before long we'll back to basics with Peanut and Grape's humorous bantering, the familiar antics, and the same laugh that's been carrying us though it all.
Hold still ~I'M PAINTING THE WORLD
----
My Devious account...
SIP. When is the next update coming? When you least expect it
Forycles

Post by Forycles »

I have two words for you: Short dog.

Was that Pete being funny? Or is Joey usually a shorter-than-average person to begin with?

Or am I looking at this wrong?

Also, I'm wondering if this will end with Joey choosing to remain a dog(if given the choice). Though I rarely see that in these kinds of plotlines, anyway.
If you're watching me make this post, then we have issues.
Dylan
Box Fox

Post by Dylan »

Forycles wrote:I have two words for you: Short dog.

Was that Pete being funny? Or is Joey usually a shorter-than-average person to begin with?

Also, I'm wondering if this will end with Joey choosing to remain a dog(if given the choice). Though I rarely see that in these kinds of plotlines, anyway.
I think you mean Joel.
Make Pasta not war.
Slippery-Q

Post by Slippery-Q »

YOU SEE WHAT YOU DID RICK!? THIS COMIC IS TEARING EVERYONE APART! ;n;
Dylan
Box Fox

Post by Dylan »

I can only imagine the trouble he will get into when he turns to normal...
"You ran away from jail!" -Judge
"Wha-what? No I didn't! I just got turned into a dog!" -Joel
Make Pasta not war.
Keeshah
Game Master

Post by Keeshah »

The real questions are...

Was it Pete who uplifted the pets in the first place?

An who was able to imprison him the first time?

An Why didn't the humans know about him, an his place of inprisonment before now?

Altho someone knows about Pete, an the ones who inprisoned him.. Peanut was able take a course on, an read the language that was inscribed on his cave prison door.
Rav/Ravage (RV) - M - German King Shepard: Str-7 Per-6 End-7 Cha-5 Int-5 Agi-6 Luck-6
Foxy Brown (Zootopia) - M - Coyote/RedWolf: Str-6 Per-7 End-6 Cha-4 Int-8 Agi-7 Luck-4
Oreo (RA) - M - Spotted Skunk: Str-5 Per-6 End-6 Cha-5 Int-7 Agi-8 Luck-5
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Forycles wrote:I have two words for you: Short dog.

GameCobra wrote: It's sort of like that.

Think of it like this:

Pretend the Crazy Cat Lady from the simpsons secretly had the power to do whatever she wants, since she's secretly a witch. She, by the fans now, knows she can do whatever she wants.

Suddenly on Christmas, Bart is making fun of Snowball, Lisa's dead cat, and he shows no signs even from Lisa that he's going to stop soon either. His extent suddenly goes to the Crazy Cat Lady on christmas and she teaches him a lesson: Transform him into a cat.

Bart and Joey's situations are nearly identical now. While no doubt both individuals can see where this is going, story-wise, they both have been hit by some godly-power on a holiday to get some changes done and make the story more sweeter where that normally crony person (The Scrooge) gets a taste of christmas.

In the timespan that Rick has to cover with his comic, i can see in the comments section also he can't always get the viewers to agree with the way the comic is going since two months can seem like forever and may even feel like it's a change for the better/worse.

You can take it from a patient reader like myself (With the exception of the N-ple Date arc <_< >_>): It's not a temporary genre shift. consider it a comic special. magic and pretty things happen all the time on christmas specials, real or not. =P
I think it'll be ok, Dylan. :lol:
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

^ I see what you did thar!
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Buckdida wrote:lotsofwords

yeah guys okay i have to say buck isn't echoing my thoughts anymore

noel i will always have a place in my heart for my chocolate baby

I ALSO LOVE RICK FOR PANEL THREE

and as for tails:
as much as i do understand where you're coming from, frankly, i don't often read books about places with no concept of any of the things either of us have been talking about. I think because they don't tend to, you know, work. Now I know that in a programming sense they would, but not everything compiles just the way you want it to.

I LOVE [RICK GRIFFIN'S REAL NAME]. YAY PANEL THREE.
Okay I have to ask this; I always figured Rick Griffin wasn't your real name (oh hush, I'm serious), but what is? I mean, I don't want to know your full name and address and post code and credit card details - but I was wondering if you were actually a Rick and just messed about with the rest of your name, or if your name is totally different and unrelated, like Dave or Steve or something.
I'll totally keep calling you Rick anyway, Monsieur Griffin.

HEY AN EDIT
Two_Twig wrote:I act under the assumption that they only serve as a temporary dislodge from the "norm" (however the 'norm' was perceived in this comic) in order to build around the enchantment and allure of the holidays.
I'd like to further explain myself and use twiggy's post to help. ALSO INCLUDED: BACKTRACKING!

I considered Pete a temporary distraction, much as Twig said - a holiday thing. Then he kind of didn't go away and I got all up fretting that we'll be seeing him in march controlling hoardes of undead pethumans that eat flowers and stomp on cute little kittens and poppies. I forgot it's December. Yes, I did. Seriously.
I also forgot Christmas and Thanksgiving are so close together over there. Rick mentioned having his January arc planned out which made me realise, to quote my mental process translated into English, "oh. januarc arc implies current arc = all of december implies last arc = all of november. november arc = thanksgiving = pete. december arc = christmas = joel and more pete. MAKES SENSE NOW. I DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ANYMORE"
Last edited by Ebly on Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

I know.

But I'm not telling.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Sinder wrote:I know.

But I'm not telling.
Either this is a lie or I'm not stalking hard enough (well actually the extent of my stalking is fairly minimal anyway) or Sinder talks to Rick in a different setting to this and found out that way.
If it's the first, I'm not surprised. If it's the second I'll try fruitlessly for an hour and then give up and get over it. If it's the third, I'm not surprised.
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

It is not particularly difficult to find out; one way would be to get me to use my paypal account for anything, and I know of at least one very old gallery of mine that uses my real name.

And it's nothing like 'Rick Griffin' either. You can probably tell by my hesitance to say my real name that I really, really hate it when people learn my name and then insist on calling me by it like we're best buds.
D.Z.

Post by D.Z. »

Christ, I didn't expect this kind of stir-up. My first thought was "aww doggie-Joel is cute, this should be a fun caper."

Also funny how people have a problem with this, but not with Tarot. Who I still have serious doubts about; she feels very much like a canis ex machina to end the relationship arc with a positive note for Peanut. We know nothing about her, she's appeared out of absolutely nowhere, and yet we're to accept that she's good for Peanut? I appreciate the ballsiness of not knuckling under to what seemed like a forgone conclusion (Peanut and Grape), but at this point Tarot still feels weak.

Of course, I'm a shapeshifting fan, so this new take is up my alley. It does bug me how many people associate any sort of shapeshifting with god-knows-what. Yeesh.
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Given that Housepets isn't over yet, it's a bit early to be judging Tarot.

And she came because she knew Peanut needed her. She noted the only way she would leave would be if Grape forsake her current relationship. And again, this is a webcomic, not War and Peace, Do we really need half of a year of build up before allowing a character to enter into a relationship with a main character?
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

D.Z. wrote:canis ex machina
That is brilliant.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Flamboyant-Pencil

Post by Flamboyant-Pencil »

RICK ISN'T RICK WHAT.

If Rick isn't Rick who is the real Rick then D;

Rick isn't Rick, but not-Rick IS Rick, but not really Rick, they're always departing, but they never arrive, and the ones that do arrive, they never leave, you never see them go, they're always full, no one ever gets on, but they're always departing, but they never arrive..

*Cunfuzzled and mind-shattered*
deviantART! 8D

AWESOME AS CHARGED
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Flamboyant-Pencil wrote:RICK ISN'T RICK WHAT.

If Rick isn't Rick who is the real Rick then D;

Rick isn't Rick, but not-Rick IS Rick, but not really Rick, they're always departing, but they never arrive, and the ones that do arrive, they never leave, you never see them go, they're always full, no one ever gets on, but they're always departing, but they never arrive..

*Cunfuzzled and mind-shattered*
MAX CALM DOWN BEFORE I WHACK YOU WITH VARIOUS KINDS OF BIRD
rick is rick it's just that his name isn't rick
i mean, sheesh :x
D.Z.

Post by D.Z. »

Hm.

... "Griffin"...

OH MY GOD GUYS RICK IS PETE.
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

D.Z. wrote:Hm.

... "Griffin"...

OH MY GOD GUYS RICK IS PETE.
NO WAI :shock:
RICK MUST HAVE BLUE HAIR
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Two_Twig

Post by Two_Twig »

rickgriffin wrote:I really, really hate it when people learn my name and then insist on calling me by it like we're best buds.
I'll be lucky if people can even say my name right... seriously, I've never met one person who doesn't mutilate my name right after I've told it to them. It's not a standard western name, but its only two syllables. Sometimes they'll even say it wrong on purpose -_-'
So in a sort-of kind-of way I know the feeling.
Hold still ~I'M PAINTING THE WORLD
----
My Devious account...
SIP. When is the next update coming? When you least expect it
Traxer

Post by Traxer »

*suddenly realized how odd this would be for first-time readers of the strip...then realized that a lot of the strips have that charming quality and carried on*
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

rickgriffin wrote:It is not particularly difficult to find out; one way would be to get me to use my paypal account for anything, and I know of at least one very old gallery of mine that uses my real name.

And it's nothing like 'Rick Griffin' either. You can probably tell by my hesitance to say my real name that I really, really hate it when people learn my name and then insist on calling me by it like we're best buds.
Oh, I didn't realize...

I mean, that's not something I would ever do at all!

I'm sorry, Cuel-Tan. *laughs*

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I'm REAAAAAALY liking where this is going <3

Also, i love that Pete is becoming involved as well.

I shall call him the Monopoly man!
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

Dissension wrote: I'm sorry, Cuel-Tan. *laughs*
I am going to kill you in your sleep
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »