Arc #47: A Respite in the Country

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
xhunterko

Re: Arc #47: A Respite in the Country

Post by xhunterko »

What IceKitsune said.
in that case, why can't choose to go back to being human when he's done living as King and have it as if he never ran at that point?
Hey! No weird time junk remember!?
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

well then IceKitsune's ending is also impossible.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

Forgive for saying so, but an ending with him back where he was, but simply with a new outlook (while he waits 20 years to use it), seems too depressing for me, and to dark for the comic.
Last edited by PhoenixAsper on Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

why 20 years? I'm not sure the punishment would be that severe. maybe ten.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

Oh, what's the difference in a COMIC?! :P :roll:
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:why 20 years? I'm not sure the punishment would be that severe. maybe ten.
He'd probably get that long for "going on the lam". And nobody would believe him when he explains where he was, so that 20 years would probably end up spent in an asylum. (Now that I think of it, that would be incredibly fitting...)

I still think it's interesting he's actively thinking about following through with it. It would be funny if puppies did end up happening somehow. It would undoubtedly end up influencing what he ultimately does.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:well then IceKitsune's ending is also impossible.
ummm where does my ending involve Time travel? I mean they can just alter memories or something else, it wouldn't be that hard to do it another way.

Edit: and taking the title of the one comic into account it would have been time served (assuming the title wasn't lying of course) so he would get out right away anyway. And before anyone says "Well then he has no responsibly to go back then." Joel didn't know what it was going to be (since it was the day of the trial and he had yet to have it), so if he doesn't choose to go back and face the consequences of his choices he will have learned nothing.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Not sure i mentioned this before, but since i read some of the coments about Joel would have no meaning in returning to human, let me point this out:

Joel had his own pets and he even stated he wanted to help them, which pretty much is what Joel is about i find. I think the big problem with Joel is, as was mentioned, Joel listens to everyone too much and not to himself. If Joel was thinking more of a leader rather than a follower, he could be alot more useful. He's smart enough to stop being Pete's personal pet, but he still pretty much wings it.

If Joel's lesson in life was to be something, i would say it's to do something in his life that helps all the other pets he meets in life. Maybe something like an adoption center or a nicer version of PETA.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Rook

Post by Rook »

That actually makes sense. Joel can't run away from his human/dog problems, that's for sure. But, don't you think he could still confront and be changed by them as a canine? It's entirely possible. He could still learn from the mistakes he made or makes, and become a better ______ being, and still chose to remain a welsh corgi. He could be changed on the inside, and not have to change his physical appearance.

(I hope that made a little sense :P)
Always love to live, and live to love others.

I ask a lot of questions... I know.

Rook STR- 9 PER- 3 END- 9 CHA- 7 INT- 3 AGI- 7 LUC- 4
Sergei STR- 7 PER- 4 END- 7 CHA- 4 INT- 8 AGI- 7 LUC- 5
Tattorack

Post by Tattorack »

If he stayed a corgi, how would he help animals? It requires to be human to set up something against animal abuse.
(also, ever considered, if the attachment to Baily goes far, that she could turn human?
Who knows, I've many unexpected turns in this comic...)
I has Deviant... urrm... by same name (durr)
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Joel had no meaningful connections, so him turning into King went unnoticed by anyone other than the authorities who thing he's just hiding from them.

Baily turning human would leave Fox without a cousin, and her owners without a dog.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:Joel had no meaningful connections, so him turning into King went unnoticed by anyone other than the authorities who thing he's just hiding from them.

Baily turning human would leave Fox without a cousin, and her owners without a dog.
and I doubt you'd want to go from dog to human.
You'd have to get used to all sorts of responsibilities and such you'd have no idea how to deal with.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

King hardly has a good human life ahead of him. He is, as far as the police are concerned, an escaped convict.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Sleet wrote:King hardly has a good human life ahead of him. He is, as far as the police are concerned, an escaped convict.
he never actually went to trial, so he was technically never convicted. He's an escaped something, I'm just not sure what.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
Sleet wrote:King hardly has a good human life ahead of him. He is, as far as the police are concerned, an escaped convict.
he never actually went to trial, so he was technically never convicted. He's an escaped something, I'm just not sure what.
No Sleet is right its the same thing, its actually called being a Fugitive, there is no different name for escaping from jail or before your trial (or any other time you are in custody) someone who escapes is always called a Fugitive (or Wanted Person some times).
Rook

Post by Rook »

Escaped offender? Also, King could help animals if he remained a Corgi! I don't think you have to create some sort of organization to help animals. It's definitely not easier to help animals without an organization, but you can still help them never-the-less.

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

fugitive, yes. but to be an escaped convict, he would have had to have been convicted, which means he would have had to go to trial.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

And let's also remember that becoming human again likely means the permanent or long term removal of a character that has become immensely popular. Most fans wouldn't like that.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

PhoenixAsper wrote:And let's also remember that becoming human again likely means the permanent or long term removal of a character that has become immensely popular. Most fans wouldn't like that.
And as I said before that is most likely the reason he wasn't turned back into human at the end of Dog Days of Summer. Why he is still around now, and will continue to stick around. And so I may clarify I do actually like King hes one of my favorite characters.
yoyodude

Post by yoyodude »

Bailey is Pete's new avatar who is trying to make sure King stays a dog lololol plotplotplotplotplot
TensaZangetsu

Post by TensaZangetsu »

yoyodude wrote:Bailey is Pete's new avatar who is trying to make sure King stays a dog lololol plotplotplotplotplot
(/_0 ... I did Not think of that...
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

yoyodude wrote:Bailey is Pete's new avatar who is trying to make sure King stays a dog lololol plotplotplotplotplot
To far away from the Games playing field (as far as we understand it anyway) Bailey would put him at massive disadvantage since Pete can't go to BG where Dragon is and where the game is talking place.
Tattorack

Post by Tattorack »

And let's also remember that becoming human again likely means the permanent or long term removal of a character that has become immensely popular. Most fans wouldn't like that.
Never said it should happen this instant, that would be... lame.
Bailey is Pete's new avatar who is trying to make sure King stays a dog lololol plotplotplotplotplot
Umm, as far as I know, last time we saw Pete was at the mercy of his ex...... who happens to be the local guard dog...
not such a good position...
I has Deviant... urrm... by same name (durr)
Rook

Post by Rook »

... oh no.

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

And usually people say everyone's Great Kitsune's avatar...
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

And here King goes getting him self in trouble again.
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

WOW. :shock:

Just...wow.

I didn't expect King to stand up for himself so much so soon.... However, I do think he went too far in his threat to the kid--where did that come from, anyway? He's only been passive-aggressive so far....

And I wonder what he meant by "genetic"--he's not REALLY a dog.

@IceKitsune: Don't say THAT.... -_-

EDIT: Wow, starting to come full circle....

EDIT: Is that watch telling the correct time...?
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

ChewyChewy wrote:WOW. :shock:

Just...wow.

I didn't expect King to stand up for himself so much so soon.... However, I do think he went too far in his threat to the kid.

And I wonder what he meant by "genetic"--he's not REALLY a dog.

@IceKitsune: Don't say THAT.... -_-

EDIT: Wow, starting to come full circle....
Say what? Its true hes getting him self in trouble again. Its kind of what he always does. Also this arc is not in anyway going to be restful for King, its going to be stressful the whole time and cause him to finally make his decision on whether to be a dog or not. I could see maybe a good moment with Fox or with Bailey at the end pushing him to staying a dog but you never know.
Last edited by IceKitsune on Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

IceKitsune wrote:Say what? Its true hes getting him self in trouble again. Its kind of what he always does. Also this arc is not in anyway going to be restful for King, its going to be stressful the whole time and cause him to finally make his decision on whether to be a dog or not. I could see maybe a good moment at the end (most likely with Bailey or Fox) pushing him to staying a dog but you never know.
I don't know about the WHOLE time. Yes, he needs to make his decision, and yes, that kind of has to happen soon, and he does kind of need a kick in the pants so to speak, but this isn't a dark comic.

But there was no reason I can see for him to THREATEN that kid, unless he's just SNAPPED, but I don't think he has. It's out of character, and the kid didn't really threaten to do a whole lot that was bad to him....
PF chars

--Phoenix

IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

ChewyChewy wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:Say what? Its true hes getting him self in trouble again. Its kind of what he always does. Also this arc is not in anyway going to be restful for King, its going to be stressful the whole time and cause him to finally make his decision on whether to be a dog or not. I could see maybe a good moment at the end (most likely with Bailey or Fox) pushing him to staying a dog but you never know.
I don't know about the WHOLE time. Yes, he needs to make his decision, and yes, that kind of has to happen soon, and he does kind of need a kick in the pants so to speak, but this isn't a dark comic.

But there was no reason I can see for him to THREATEN that kid, unless he's just SNAPPED, but I don't think he has. It's out of character, and the kid didn't really threaten to do a whole lot that was bad to him....
I wasn't thinking dark at all just really annoying and that was completely in character for Joel/King hes always been angry and brash like that.
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

IceKitsune wrote:I wasn't thinking dark at all just really annoying and that was completely in character for Joel/King hes always been angry and brash like that.
I don't think it was--usually Joel/King is passive-aggressive. He didn't even threaten Bino when CATNIP EXPLODED IN HIS FACE. Nor did he threaten Pete when Pete wouldn't let him go to the barbecue. Now a kid just calls him "dog" and tells him to get off the porch and he says "Who says you'll be able to call for help when I'm done with you, you little twerp?" I don't recall any precedent for him saying something like that for something like this.
PF chars

--Phoenix

xhunterko

Post by xhunterko »

You know, if King confessed to Fox and they Fox forgave him, then necessarily there wouldn't be any charges. Save for being an escaped fugitive. And another possibility. What if an award from the Great Kitsune was, (something I've pondered before) the ability to switch from corgi to human at will? Just a thought. Also, after about seven years a missing person, according to the law, is considered dead I believe.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

xhunterko wrote:You know, if King confessed to Fox and they Fox forgave him, then necessarily there wouldn't be any charges. Save for being an escaped fugitive. And another possibility. What if an award from the Great Kitsune was, (something I've pondered before) the ability to switch from corgi to human at will? Just a thought. Also, after about seven years a missing person, according to the law, is considered dead I believe.
No there would still be charges. hmmm changing back and forth would be cool, and it would make everyone happy. Sadly I doubt that will happen.
Last edited by IceKitsune on Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

xhunterko wrote:You know, if King confessed to Fox and they Fox forgave him, then necessarily there wouldn't be any charges. Save for being an escaped fugitive. And another possibility. What if an award from the Great Kitsune was, (something I've pondered before) the ability to switch from corgi to human at will? Just a thought. Also, after about seven years a missing person, according to the law, is considered dead I believe.
Awesome though that idea is, I don't think it will happen given what Sabrina said in the last arc.

Imagine the look on King's face when he reads his own obit. :P :roll:
PF chars

--Phoenix

copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Wow... A lot of talk involving King's Destiny.

King is angry and annoyed at the Kid's attitude. It is completely within his character to lob out some vague threat like that when angry. He does not mean it and it is just to stay on par with the Brat's threat.

I love that the Kid's tag is brat by the way. :lol:
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

copper wrote:Wow... A lot of talk involving King's Destiny.

King is angry and annoyed at the Kid's attitude. It is completely within his character to lob out some vague threat like that when angry. He does not mean it and it is just to stay on par with the Brat's threat.

I love that the Kid's tag is brat by the way. :lol:
But the brat didn't threaten to do anything more than to make him get off the porch. That's a vague and rather mild threat. King's threat, while still vague, was less mild--considerably so--whether he meant it or not.

And when was the last time King DID threaten anyone like that? I honestly can't remember another time before....
PF chars

--Phoenix

Esquire Fox

Post by Esquire Fox »

Hey! I'm of Nordic stock...
ChewyChewy wrote:
I don't think it was--usually Joel/King is passive-aggressive. He didn't even threaten Bino when CATNIP EXPLODED IN HIS FACE. Nor did he threaten Pete when Pete wouldn't let him go to the barbecue. Now a kid just calls him "dog" and tells him to get off the porch and he says "Who says you'll be able to call for help when I'm done with you, you little twerp?" I don't recall any precedent for him saying something like that for something like this.
Pete had absolute power over him so there was nothing he could expect to do.
The catnip explosion left Joel feeling more betrayed and detached than feeling vengeful. He just wanted to get away from everyone.
When Bino had him held down, his only option was to plea for help. Arguing would have quickened the watch smashing and supposedly his demise.

In this situation though, he's being confronted by just a single bully.
Joel has never been known to back down, so it stands to reason he'd retort the bully's insults.
He started by pointing out that he was a guest and should be treated as such, but is quickly being dragged down to the bully's level.
This, like all of Joel's conflicts, is no doubt a losing battle.
- Esquire Fox

What do you mean that's not what the signature is for?
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

Esquire Fox wrote:Pete had absolute power over him so there was nothing he could expect to do.
The catnip explosion left Joel feeling more betrayed and detached than feeling vengeful. He just wanted to get away from everyone.
When Bino had him held down, his only option was to plea for help. Arguing would have quickened the watch smashing and supposedly his demise.

In this situation though, he's being confronted by just a single bully.
Joel has never been known to back down, so it stands to reason he'd retort the bully's insults.
He started by pointing out that he was a guest and should be treated as such, but is quickly being dragged down to the bully's level.
This, like all of Joel's conflicts, is no doubt a losing battle.
He's being confronted by a bully WHO IS BIGGER THAN HE IS. Not to mention that BEFORE King threatened him, that bully threatened to call ANIMAL CONTROL on him.

I have never known Joel to do anything but go with the flow, even if he strongly disagreed with what "the flow" was and made it clear verbally. It doesn't stand to reason at all, from what I remember of him.

Unless you're saying that in going with the flow, he's letting himself be influenced too much, but even that doesn't work--he went BELOW the bully's level, not right TO it.

I just think this is out of character--not that that's necessarily a bad thing in general, though he went too far here....
PF chars

--Phoenix

PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

Why is everyone so NEGATIVE about this? I am too, but it's still disheartening. :(

Wow, the world really views animals as second class citizens (if EVEN). That's upsetting. This PROBABLY won't happen (given the comic's tone, I'd hope), but I sincerely hope that animal control threat isn't followed through on. If ever have to see the pound in this universe, I hope it's not involving King.
xhunterko

Post by xhunterko »

Most likely, King will end up in the next field over. And will end up panick looking for the watch.

King will need a vacation after this vacation.