Reply to topic  [ 1242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 32  Next
Arc 42: Not All Dogs 
Author Message
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:26 am
Posts: 1752
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
Sleet wrote:
angelusbr wrote:
Unless Ricky gave you major spoilers containing some weird plot twists you cannot afirm that either, sir. As far as the fans, who read the updates of three strips per week (sometimes we are treated with double strips), know about this comic, King is slowly (a bit too much for my taste, but I still like it) redemting for his past actions and learning that being a dog isn't all that bad, but he's facing problems like everyone else(maybe more than an avarege person would due his secret).
And I kinda agree with what was said above. I know the following statement isn't the absolute truth, but it's what I'm seeing here:
dislike Bino = Like King
Dislike King = Like Bino
Absolutes like that are just part of the oversimplification people are doing. "I like King, and therefore characters who don't like him are irredeemably evil and those who don't help him are stupid." Blech. I'm not a fan of either of them as a person, but I think they're both pretty good as characters.

People need to learn how to read better...

_________________
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus


Mon May 30, 2011 3:29 pm
Profile
laughing maniacally
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:42 pm
Posts: 16971
Location: an invisible, flying volcano over Virginia
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
Koda wrote:
(except Tarot, she can go to "a farm downstate")

she's going to see uncle Reuben?
thought this thread could do with a bit of mood lightening, what with the heated debate and all.
and I'm of the mentality of "let whatever happens happen" I think it would be better for King to remain as King, but if he doesn't I can live with it. also, while I don't think he's actively seeking "redemption," he is probably redeeming himself a bit in the process of dealing with his change and being friends with Fox.

_________________
I'm a shape-shifter. I'm currently in whatever form I feel like
Image
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets


Mon May 30, 2011 3:30 pm
Profile YIM
Bringing Foxy Back
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:32 am
Posts: 15477
Location: Nephelokokkygia
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
angelusbr wrote:
Sleet wrote:
angelusbr wrote:
Unless Ricky gave you major spoilers containing some weird plot twists you cannot afirm that either, sir. As far as the fans, who read the updates of three strips per week (sometimes we are treated with double strips), know about this comic, King is slowly (a bit too much for my taste, but I still like it) redemting for his past actions and learning that being a dog isn't all that bad, but he's facing problems like everyone else(maybe more than an avarege person would due his secret).
And I kinda agree with what was said above. I know the following statement isn't the absolute truth, but it's what I'm seeing here:
dislike Bino = Like King
Dislike King = Like Bino
Absolutes like that are just part of the oversimplification people are doing. "I like King, and therefore characters who don't like him are irredeemably evil and those who don't help him are stupid." Blech. I'm not a fan of either of them as a person, but I think they're both pretty good as characters.

People need to learn how to read better...
You may not be using that absolute, but "people" are.

_________________
Image
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!


Mon May 30, 2011 3:35 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 5458
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
I still think Sabrina is now really scary--regardless of why she made the threat or whether she would have (or could have) gone along with it, she did make that threat and Fido apparently took her seriously. Wouldn't that amount to more or less the same thing as King's fate if the watch were destroyed? A life for a life?

_________________
Image
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com


Mon May 30, 2011 3:40 pm
Profile
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:00 am
Posts: 1484
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
I don't think she would honestly hurt Fido, but she had to make it known that his standing around with his hands at the sides was not acceptable, any more then his ordering her around. Being one of the mystical Housepets, she likely understands a bit about what madness could happen if the watch was broken and maybe even the judgement that would come with it on parties involved.


Mon May 30, 2011 3:45 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 5458
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
Foxstar wrote:
I don't think she would honestly hurt Fido, but she had to make it known that his standing around with his hands at the sides was not acceptable, any more then his ordering her around. Being one of the mystical Housepets, she likely understands a bit about what madness could happen if the watch was broken and maybe even the judgement that would come with it on parties involved.


I get that. That doesn't change the fact that she specifically threatened to ERASE FIDO'S EXISTENCE. That suggests that at least in theory, such a thing is POSSIBLE. Certainly Fido seems to think it's possible, otherwise why did such a threat persuade him?

Maybe it's just subjective, but this whole occult thing in the comic is starting to creep me out.... I used to think this was the kind of comic I might have drawn myself, but not anymore....

_________________
Image
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com


Last edited by ChewyChewy on Mon May 30, 2011 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Mon May 30, 2011 3:47 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:35 pm
Posts: 4304
Location: Ohio
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
ChewyChewy wrote:
I still think Sabrina is now really scary--regardless of why she made the threat or whether she would have (or could have) gone along with it, she did make that threat and Fido apparently took her seriously. Wouldn't that amount to more or less the same thing as King's fate if the watch were destroyed? A life for a life?


Yeah it kind of would. And now you kind of know one of the reasons why I dislike all of the Cosmic Nerds (In varying degrees of course) in general they are just as scary if not ten times more so. However Sabrina is a bit different because she is just in Training (so it was most likely an exaggeration on her part that Fido knew was possible and didn't want to take that chance) and we know she loves Fido enough to not actually do that.

_________________
Image
Image


Mon May 30, 2011 3:48 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 5458
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
She is still in training, and clearly Fido DID know it was possible, and that's SCARY.

_________________
Image
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com


Mon May 30, 2011 3:57 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:26 am
Posts: 1752
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
ChewyChewy wrote:
She is still in training, and clearly Fido DID know it was possible, and that's SCARY.

Sure her actions were scary, but again:
1)she had just seen her boyfriend walking away from a serious problem
2)He initally refused to do anything to help in the matter (if it were something just between Bino and King, I would be quiet about Fido's actions. But Fido was there in time to see that King was being held by two buff dogs)
3)sabrina feared for King's existence hence why she made such a threat.

_________________
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus


Mon May 30, 2011 4:13 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:27 am
Posts: 3920
Location: Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
ChewyChewy wrote:
I get that. That doesn't change the fact that she specifically threatened to ERASE FIDO'S EXISTENCE. That suggests that at least in theory, such a thing is POSSIBLE. Certainly Fido seems to think it's possible, otherwise why did such a threat persuade him?

Maybe it's just subjective, but this whole occult thing in the comic is starting to creep me out.... I used to think this was the kind of comic I might have drawn myself, but not anymore....


It was mentioned by her that anything is possible in the Housepets universe. However, in my opinion,you have to look at her threat as a joke until proven since that's basically how Sabrina worked this situation. There's no proof that she could really do that, and i doubt she would, but to get her message across was the point.

_________________
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Image


Mon May 30, 2011 4:23 pm
Profile
Bringing Foxy Back
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:32 am
Posts: 15477
Location: Nephelokokkygia
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
ChewyChewy wrote:
Maybe it's just subjective, but this whole occult thing in the comic is starting to creep me out.... I used to think this was the kind of comic I might have drawn myself, but not anymore....
I think "occult" is not a good word for it. The comic just explores fantasy themes occasionally, and that includes a strange cosmology based on mythology, fantasy fiction, and real religion.

_________________
Image
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!


Mon May 30, 2011 4:27 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:56 pm
Posts: 1451
Location: [REDACTED]
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
Whatever you call it, it makes for some interesting scenarios.

_________________
(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ Tooth and Claw
Sequel to The Dogs of War~

Image


Mon May 30, 2011 4:33 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:36 pm
Posts: 1742
Location: Greetings from beautiful Place!
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
ChewyChewy wrote:
She is still in training, and clearly Fido DID know it was possible, and that's SCARY.


Uh, what makes you think she wasn't bluffing? If Fido knows she's a psychic-in-training, maybe she was just using the fact that he doesn't know anything about it as leverage.

I don't get why people take everything that every character says as gospel. People rarely take into account that characters might be misinformed, making junk up, lying, generalizing, assuming, dismissive, or all of the above.

Or even that they're telling the truth. Fido doesn't WANT to be lauded as a hero. And everyone assumed that was a straightforward humility play. What if he's actually too honest? What if he knows he doesn't deserve it because of things like this?

It's always a poor thing to assume when someone's acting from a vice that they must have no qualms about it.

_________________
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers


Mon May 30, 2011 4:38 pm
Profile WWW
Game Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 12:12 am
Posts: 3730
Location: out marking the bushes an fire hydrants
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
angelusbr wrote:
And I kinda agree with what was said above. I know the following statement isn't the absolute truth, but it's what I'm seeing here:
dislike Bino = Like King
Dislike King = Like Bino



I see more like,
Half of the housepets fans want the sugarcoated lighthearted comedy slapstick, Peanut/Grape/Bino as the fall guy side.

An the other half of Housepets fan want the serious, storytelling drama of the King/tarot/Pete side.

_________________
Rav/Ravage (RV) - M - German King Shepard: Str-7 Per-6 End-7 Cha-5 Int-5 Agi-6 Luck-6
Moonbeam (RA) - M - Tennessee Walker Horse: Str-6 Per-6 End-8 Cha-4 Int-5 Agi-8 Luck-5
Oreo (RA) - M - Spotted Skunk: Str-5 Per-6 End-6 Cha-5 Int-7 Agi-8 Luck-5


Mon May 30, 2011 4:46 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:56 pm
Posts: 1451
Location: [REDACTED]
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
And then the third half who'll be happy with whatever happens.

Wait, fractions don't work that way. Eh. My point still stands.

_________________
(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ Tooth and Claw
Sequel to The Dogs of War~

Image


Mon May 30, 2011 4:48 pm
Profile WWW
Bringing Foxy Back
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:32 am
Posts: 15477
Location: Nephelokokkygia
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
I like all of it, as long as it doesn't turn to just one and stagnate.

_________________
Image
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!


Mon May 30, 2011 4:48 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:32 pm
Posts: 1978
Location: In a house unless I'm not in a house.
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
I'm just imagining what would happen if Bino saw the first pannel this one: Image

_________________
Sent from my conifer.


Mon May 30, 2011 4:49 pm
Profile
Game Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 12:12 am
Posts: 3730
Location: out marking the bushes an fire hydrants
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
Foxstar wrote:
valerio wrote:
Not only King is adorable, as Joel he's working for his redemption and has Fox as awesome friend. He deserves all the love!


Val, you have a somewhat bad habit of -reading into things-

Joel is at -best- putting up with life as a dog. He's been friendly to Sasha. He deals with a lot of crap living with the wolves. But where in what arc has it ever been revealed that he's working towards any sort of 'redemption'? Nowhere. I think people who see him being friends with Fox and taking care of Sasha are reading into way too much.



I hate to agree with Foxstar.. :o
But Joel/King hasn't done anything but try to make the best of the situations he keeps finding himself in..
He has befriended Sasha, because he feels sorry for her having such a bad owner.
An just in the last arc has he discovered that he is a loser as both man an dog, an yet he has somehow got a true friend in Fox! that he is scared of, or unwilling to lose as a friend.
Which could be a motivation twords seeking redemption, an making his final choice as to be a dog or man.

_________________
Rav/Ravage (RV) - M - German King Shepard: Str-7 Per-6 End-7 Cha-5 Int-5 Agi-6 Luck-6
Moonbeam (RA) - M - Tennessee Walker Horse: Str-6 Per-6 End-8 Cha-4 Int-5 Agi-8 Luck-5
Oreo (RA) - M - Spotted Skunk: Str-5 Per-6 End-6 Cha-5 Int-7 Agi-8 Luck-5


Mon May 30, 2011 4:59 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:35 pm
Posts: 4304
Location: Ohio
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
rickgriffin wrote:
ChewyChewy wrote:
She is still in training, and clearly Fido DID know it was possible, and that's SCARY.


Uh, what makes you think she wasn't bluffing? If Fido knows she's a psychic-in-training, maybe she was just using the fact that he doesn't know anything about it as leverage.

I don't get why people take everything that every character says as gospel. People rarely take into account that characters might be misinformed, making junk up, lying, generalizing, assuming, dismissive, or all of the above.

Or even that they're telling the truth. Fido doesn't WANT to be lauded as a hero. And everyone assumed that was a straightforward humility play. What if he's actually too honest? What if he knows he doesn't deserve it because of things like this?

It's always a poor thing to assume when someone's acting from a vice that they must have no qualms about it.


That is true (and I try to take the into account as much as I can) however the thing is unless its stated somewhere that they are doing any of those things its kind of hard to have concrete proof they are because they could just as easily be telling the truth.

Edit: Like the Prophecy Tarot talked about (or every thing Dragon said to Peanut at the end of We're Snowed In! In fact I suspect that most, if not all of it, is a lie really.) It could mean something or it could be all a load of junk. Along with Pete saying Sasha was "Protected" that could also be just a big lie but we has no proof any of it is either way.

_________________
Image
Image


Last edited by IceKitsune on Mon May 30, 2011 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.



Mon May 30, 2011 5:00 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:36 pm
Posts: 1742
Location: Greetings from beautiful Place!
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
IceKitsune wrote:
Edit: Like the Prophecy Tarot talked about (or every thing Dragon said to Peanut at the end of We're Snowed In! In fact I suspect that most of that is junk really) It could mean something or it could be all a load of junk. Along with Pete saying Sasha was "Protected" that could also be just a big lie but we has no proof any of it is either way.


Well when you go that route you also need a reason for lies--lies for the sake of lies are not usually good storytelling. But it's not too difficult to consider multiple possibilities at the same time, I just think most people dig in too personally to characters in the story and make their assumptions based on who they do or don't like.

Though that has gotten me into trouble in reading before; I have sat through whole stories waiting for the other shoe to drop, only it turns out everything was basically as-presented; there was no catch, no spies, moles or traitors. No secrets at all, not even any real character movement. But it's not that it was a bad story, just . . . lacking? But it might be all on my part.

But I think we all know Valerio's real reason for hating Fido: he knows someone like Fido who he doesn't like.

_________________
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers


Mon May 30, 2011 5:20 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:35 pm
Posts: 4304
Location: Ohio
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
rickgriffin wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:
Edit: Like the Prophecy Tarot talked about (or every thing Dragon said to Peanut at the end of We're Snowed In! In fact I suspect that most of that is junk really) It could mean something or it could be all a load of junk. Along with Pete saying Sasha was "Protected" that could also be just a big lie but we has no proof any of it is either way.


Well when you go that route you also need a reason for lies--lies for the sake of lies are not usually good storytelling. But it's not too difficult to consider multiple possibilities at the same time, I just think most people dig in too personally to characters in the story and make their assumptions based on who they do or don't like.

Though that has gotten me into trouble in reading before; I have sat through whole stories waiting for the other shoe to drop, only it turns out everything was basically as-presented; there was no catch, no spies, moles or traitors. No secrets at all, not even any real character movement. But it's not that it was a bad story, just . . . lacking? But it might be all on my part.

But I think we all know Valerio's real reason for hating Fido: he knows someone like Fido who he doesn't like.


Well yes that is true you would need reasons for the lies. And maybe I'm over thinking the We're Snowed In! stuff (and most likely am) but the point is we have no way of knowing. But she could be lying to have him help her in the game later for all we know.
But yes there is a problem with looking to deep into things and there is also a problem with just looking at the surface because some times you miss stuff that is there.

Edit: Let me put it this way (because I don't think I'm explaining it well) I have no proof that the Prophecy (which I really want to know more about actually) is true or a lie or a mistake or what ever. Nor do I have proof that Dragon was lying at the end of We're snowed in but no one (other then you of course) can really prove either are true either. I can always make up a reason (and given enough time good ones) for why any one would be lying about anything. So about 90% of the time you have to assume what is being said is the truth.

_________________
Image
Image


Last edited by IceKitsune on Mon May 30, 2011 6:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.



Mon May 30, 2011 5:28 pm
Profile

Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:38 am
Posts: 579
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
rickgriffin wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:
Edit: Like the Prophecy Tarot talked about (or every thing Dragon said to Peanut at the end of We're Snowed In! In fact I suspect that most of that is junk really) It could mean something or it could be all a load of junk. Along with Pete saying Sasha was "Protected" that could also be just a big lie but we has no proof any of it is either way.


Well when you go that route you also need a reason for lies--lies for the sake of lies are not usually good storytelling. But it's not too difficult to consider multiple possibilities at the same time, I just think most people dig in too personally to characters in the story and make their assumptions based on who they do or don't like.

Though that has gotten me into trouble in reading before; I have sat through whole stories waiting for the other shoe to drop, only it turns out everything was basically as-presented; there was no catch, no spies, moles or traitors. No secrets at all, not even any real character movement. But it's not that it was a bad story, just . . . lacking? But it might be all on my part.

But I think we all know Valerio's real reason for hating Fido: he knows someone like Fido who he doesn't like.


Well, the Spirit Dragon could have ulterior motives for telling Peanut what she did. Clearly, Peanut and Grape are important to the game. Also, while I am VERY attached to King and Joel as characters, it's not because of anyone who is mean to him. He's had a HORRIBLE life, from the information I have to go on, and I'm really hoping for some kind of awakening for him fairly soon: he has, after all, spent one and a half years of his life as a dog, and there had to be some rhyme or reason to that. I don't want to entertain the possibilities otherwise, ever.

You know, Rick, the more I hear you say these things, the more I believe that you know what you're doing, and even with only two updates to go, you won't end this on a note that makes me rage or something. :oops:

...................................... :oops:


Mon May 30, 2011 5:29 pm
Profile
Extremerator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:19 pm
Posts: 3958
Location: a place of settlement, activity, or residence
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
yehoshua wrote:
I'm just imagining what would happen if Bino saw the first pannel this one: Image


I believe that's Bino himself yelling at Sasha from out of frame

I don't think I really hate any characters in this strip. I do find some of them relatively uninteresting, but I don't hate any of them. Housepets is scrappy-free for the moment, and will, fingers crossed, remain so for a while.

_________________
Image
Image Image


Mon May 30, 2011 5:34 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:28 pm
Posts: 3920
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
Image

GO GO FIDO BYRON

_________________
My RP characters
Image


Mon May 30, 2011 5:44 pm
Profile

Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 9:31 pm
Posts: 776
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
Oh lord...


Mon May 30, 2011 5:48 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:18 pm
Posts: 466
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
The Game wrote:
Image

GO GO FIDO BYRON


HA HA Haaa!~

Bino: I've got such a headache!

_________________
Image


Mon May 30, 2011 5:50 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:48 pm
Posts: 1686
Location: The Internet
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
rickgriffin wrote:
EVERYTHING EVERYONE SAYS IS A LIE

EVEN THIS

this is why we can't have nice things

_________________
ImageImage
ImageImage


Mon May 30, 2011 5:57 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 5:46 pm
Posts: 140
Location: Tucson, AZ
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
IceKitsune wrote:
I can always make up a reason (and given enough time good ones) for why any one would be lying about anything.


Isn't that what Wild Mass Guessing is for? Image

_________________
Image


Mon May 30, 2011 6:00 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:35 pm
Posts: 4304
Location: Ohio
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
Viath wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:
I can always make up a reason (and given enough time good ones) for why any one would be lying about anything.


Isn't that what Wild Mass Guessing is for? Image


But that is really only for Guesses that make no sense or are stupid I'm talking about ones that are at least somewhat possible.

_________________
Image
Image


Mon May 30, 2011 6:28 pm
Profile
laughing maniacally
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:42 pm
Posts: 16971
Location: an invisible, flying volcano over Virginia
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
Coatl_Ruu wrote:
And then the third half who'll be happy with whatever happens.
Wait, fractions don't work that way. Eh. My point still stands.

Sleet wrote:
I like all of it, as long as it doesn't turn to just one and stagnate.

These are the ones I agree with.
IceKitsune wrote:
Viath wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:
I can always make up a reason (and given enough time good ones) for why any one would be lying about anything.


Isn't that what Wild Mass Guessing is for? Image


But that is really only for Guesses that make no sense or are stupid I'm talking about ones that are at least somewhat possible.

that's just how we use it to pass the time. Valid predictions are welcome in that thread.

_________________
I'm a shape-shifter. I'm currently in whatever form I feel like
Image
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets


Mon May 30, 2011 7:09 pm
Profile YIM
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 5:46 pm
Posts: 140
Location: Tucson, AZ
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
I just want to say wow. The major topic of discussion for the last comic seemed to be Bino and people accusing/defending him. It seems very abrupt to me that now with the current comic we've suddenly switched to Fido. Everyone is shocked at him just doing nothing.

As for my opinion on the matter, I personally might find it hard to step into the middle of such a heated, dramatic argument. I'd want to help, but it might take "encouragement" like Sabrina gave to Fido to get me to move.Image Maybe that's how Fido was feeling, he just needed a little push.

_________________
Image


Mon May 30, 2011 7:25 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 5458
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
Sleet wrote:
ChewyChewy wrote:
Maybe it's just subjective, but this whole occult thing in the comic is starting to creep me out.... I used to think this was the kind of comic I might have drawn myself, but not anymore....
I think "occult" is not a good word for it. The comic just explores fantasy themes occasionally, and that includes a strange cosmology based on mythology, fantasy fiction, and real religion.


I don't mean to be insulting or condemning when I use that word (though I don't use it lightly) but I think it IS a good word. It was harmless fantasy stuff, or seemed so to me, up until the last King arc, with the "cosmic nerds" or whatever they are. Now it's going places that make me uncomfortable.

rickgriffin wrote:
ChewyChewy wrote:
She is still in training, and clearly Fido DID know it was possible, and that's SCARY.


Uh, what makes you think she wasn't bluffing? If Fido knows she's a psychic-in-training, maybe she was just using the fact that he doesn't know anything about it as leverage.

I don't get why people take everything that every character says as gospel. People rarely take into account that characters might be misinformed, making junk up, lying, generalizing, assuming, dismissive, or all of the above.

Or even that they're telling the truth. Fido doesn't WANT to be lauded as a hero. And everyone assumed that was a straightforward humility play. What if he's actually too honest? What if he knows he doesn't deserve it because of things like this?

It's always a poor thing to assume when someone's acting from a vice that they must have no qualms about it.


Nothing--but 1) Fido's taking it seriously, so it would appear he believes her, and the threat was the most horrific threat imaginable, and 2) with all the magic stuff going on, it doesn't strike me as being outside the realm of possibility that it WOULD be possible. It's not like in Back to the Future when Doc goes on that the fabric of space-time might unravel and the universe might be destroyed--that's so outlandish NO ONE takes it seriously (at least in the audience).

I don't want to take everything every character says as gospel, but when it's not OBVIOUS that we're not supposed to believe them, it's hard for someone like me who has Asperger's Syndrome not to take it at face value.

_________________
Image
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com


Mon May 30, 2011 7:39 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:26 am
Posts: 1752
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
Keeshah wrote:
angelusbr wrote:
And I kinda agree with what was said above. I know the following statement isn't the absolute truth, but it's what I'm seeing here:
dislike Bino = Like King
Dislike King = Like Bino



I see more like,
Half of the housepets fans want the sugarcoated lighthearted comedy slapstick, Peanut/Grape/Bino as the fall guy side.

An the other half of Housepets fan want the serious, storytelling drama of the King/tarot/Pete side.

Your statment is full of win. I'm on the serios storyline half.

_________________
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus


Mon May 30, 2011 8:06 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 5458
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
I'm in the third half--I want both. Or I did....

_________________
Image
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com


Mon May 30, 2011 8:07 pm
Profile

Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:38 am
Posts: 579
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
Regrettably, I must sort of agree there. I don't have a problem with drama. But when it goes on for nearly two years or more on an overarching story arc, it disrupts the lighthearted stuff, which I originally came for, and becomes my overriding focus: I WANT to see more of it. And THEN I have a problem with it, just not the problem you'd think. At the same time, I don't want this comic to reach a point where I don't recognize it from what I originally found. Thankfully, that hasn't happened yet. :)


Mon May 30, 2011 8:11 pm
Profile
Extremerator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:19 pm
Posts: 3958
Location: a place of settlement, activity, or residence
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
I just like the fact that three times a week there's a new comic to read

Also, I wouldn't call this arc "serious storytelling". It's more plot heavy than the strip often is, but the plot is pretty ridiculous and overstated. (Exhibit A: Bino suddenly has two giant bodyguards. I don't really think that's supposed to be taken seriously, it's just funny.) It's always seemed to me that the mythical stories were actually sillier than the lighter stuff.

_________________
Image
Image Image


Mon May 30, 2011 8:14 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:26 am
Posts: 1752
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
PhoenixAsper wrote:
Regrettably, I must sort of agree there. I don't have a problem with drama. But when it goes on for nearly two years or more on an overarching story arc, it disrupts the lighthearted stuff, which I originally came for, and becomes my overriding focus: I WANT to see more of it. And THEN I have a problem with it, just not the problem you'd think. At the same time, I don't want this comic to reach a point where I don't recognize it from what I originally found. Thankfully, that hasn't happened yet. :)

IMO, this is a very strong point for housepets. It has light hearted moments for some and serious ones for other fans. I first came into this comic when I read the King story arc of Dogs day of summer in another forum. I thought it was a serious comic with just one joke here and there and it got me interested in the story. I was shocked, at first, to see how light hearted (for the lack of better word) the first story arcs were, but i still enjoyed the story and what makes this comic one of my favorites (order fo the stick still holding number 1 and Housepets is number 2) are the more serious arcs. I like drama AND jokes. it needs talent to have both and Ricky does have this talent and he has proven it to us. Now, some of us (myself included) may want this story to go to certain directions either keep this way, or be more funny and have less plot or have a way more serious plot.
I guess all we have to do is shut up and let the story teller tell the story the way he wants and quit whining. Again, I include myself in the middle of this.

_________________
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus


Mon May 30, 2011 8:21 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 5:46 pm
Posts: 140
Location: Tucson, AZ
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
<reading the above comments>

This is one reason I love this comic. Some comics I know (like Garfield, for instance) rely heavily on humor and have practically no story, only enough to support the humor. Other comics are very story-based with only a little humor here and there.
Housepets! seems to find a great balance between both. It is true, some arcs tend towards the humor side and some tend towards the story side (current arc included) but overall this comic has a great balance of both. I really respect Rick for being able to do this.

_________________
Image


Mon May 30, 2011 8:33 pm
Profile

Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:38 am
Posts: 579
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
Viath wrote:
<reading the above comments>

This is one reason I love this comic. Some comics I know (like Garfield, for instance) rely heavily on humor and have practically no story, only enough to support the humor. Other comics are very story-based with only a little humor here and there.
Housepets! seems to find a great balance between both. It is true, some arcs tend towards the humor side and some tend towards the story side (current arc included) but overall this comic has a great balance of both. I really respect Rick for being able to do this.


I do TOO. Once again, my problem is not WITH the drama itself, it has never been. My problem is mainly with the LENGTH. Too much suspense and questions over too long a time.


Mon May 30, 2011 8:38 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 5458
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
At the risk of continuing the off-topic, I agree--and that's why I'm going to continue to keep up with the comics, because I am now, as I always was, impressed with everything about it.

My discomfort with some of the content is not a legitimate criticism but a subjective opinion, and if that's what Rick wants to put into his comic I'm not going to fault him for it, especially since all objective elements are spot-on, enough for me to enjoy, and I don't have to pay anything for it so I can't get "taken" no matter what happens that I don't like. But at the same time I have the right to voice my opinion and SAY that I'm not comfortable with it. It's just one complaint among a sea of praise.

@Phoenix: That's to be expected, though, unless Rick were to do like a buffer system and update every day of the week, or something....

_________________
Image
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com


Mon May 30, 2011 8:39 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 1242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 32  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
  • Advertisement
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.