Reply to topic  [ 1242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 32  Next
Arc 42: Not All Dogs 
Author Message
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:26 am
Posts: 1752
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
Alex wrote:
What's there not to like about Fido? He's the neighborhood's best dog! Everyone loves him! He can't take care of EVERYTHING...

Yes, he can't solve all world's problems. I used to like Fido a lot until this strip. He was there. he saw it happening and he chose to just walk away not even caring how his other brother was treated.
Joey went up a level for me while Fido is in the basement with Bino. Joey might have failed, but at least he tried to do something good, while Fido had to be threatened to do something.

_________________
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus


Mon May 30, 2011 10:34 am
Profile
Game Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 6:53 am
Posts: 14578
Location: Italy
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
yes, oh so YES!
least Sabrina can do is slamming her door in his face!

_________________
Image
Image


Mon May 30, 2011 10:40 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:32 pm
Posts: 1979
Location: In a house unless I'm not in a house.
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
I don't get it, why is Fido suddenly so unwilling to help out? He isn't like that. I guess it's just so that there could be a Sabrina joke there or something.

_________________
Sent from my conifer.


Mon May 30, 2011 11:21 am
Profile
Extremerator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:19 pm
Posts: 3958
Location: a place of settlement, activity, or residence
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
yehoshua wrote:
I don't get it, why is Fido suddenly so unwilling to help out? He isn't like that. I guess it's just so that there could be a Sabrina joke there or something.


Because he thinks it's "really stupid and petty", which it is unless you're aware of the importance of the watch

hehe, petty

_________________
Image
Image Image


Mon May 30, 2011 11:24 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:35 pm
Posts: 4313
Location: Ohio
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
yehoshua wrote:
I don't get it, why is Fido suddenly so unwilling to help out? He isn't like that. I guess it's just so that there could be a Sabrina joke there or something.


Or it could be because its just a stupid squabble about a watch that (other then the fact that its part of Kings soul which they don't know that) is Binos anyway because King didn't want it in the first place.

_________________
Image
Image


Mon May 30, 2011 11:26 am
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:36 pm
Posts: 1744
Location: Greetings from beautiful Place!
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
For people wondering at Fido's behavior: If you tried arguing Bino down, it's like shouting at a brick wall. However, no it does not excuse his behavior.

In fact, Fido is 1) not a terribly observant dog (most are not), and 2) extremely weak-willed when it comes to his girlfriend.

If he's weak-willed when it comes to his girlfriend, it stands to reason he may be weak-willed when it comes to his family. After all, he LET Bino, who he knew to be mean and petty, be a founder of the club. Fido's never the one to give Bino a punch in the face when he needs it.

This has not been solidly established in the comic but it might help resolve the character.

_________________
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers


Mon May 30, 2011 11:31 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:26 am
Posts: 1752
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
rickgriffin wrote:
For people wondering at Fido's behavior: If you tried arguing Bino down, it's like shouting at a brick wall. However, no it does not excuse his behavior.

In fact, Fido is 1) not a terribly observant dog (most are not), and 2) extremely weak-willed when it comes to his girlfriend.

If he's weak-willed when it comes to his girlfriend, it stands to reason he may be weak-willed when it comes to his family. After all, he LET Bino, who he knew to be mean and petty, be a founder of the club. Fido's never the one to give Bino a punch in the face when he needs it.

This has not been solidly established in the comic but it might help resolve the character.

I enjoy reading your explanations here in the forum, Ricky, but you have to explain this kind of thing in the comic. And I'm not talking about the side note you put on every page when you leave the mouse over the strip.
IMO, weak will is still quite disapointing (not in a bad way). I mean it was quite shcoking to learn that Fido only has the guts to do some good if he's threatened by sabrina.

_________________
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus


Mon May 30, 2011 11:42 am
Profile
Bringing Foxy Back
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:32 am
Posts: 15497
Location: Nephelokokkygia
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
There's only so much you can put in a comic strip. If you start focusing too much on showing what a character's complete personality is like, then suddenly you don't have much of a plot. Or at least an interesting one.

_________________
Image
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!


Mon May 30, 2011 11:59 am
Profile WWW

Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:38 am
Posts: 579
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
Well he could always put that in the cast page, not the comic.


Mon May 30, 2011 12:01 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 5458
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
Sleet wrote:
There's only so much you can put in a comic strip. If you start focusing too much on showing what a character's complete personality is like, then suddenly you don't have much of a plot. Or at least an interesting one.


I disagree--you could have the plot DEMONSTRATE what the character's personality is like based on how he or she reacts to specific situations....

_________________
Image
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com


Mon May 30, 2011 12:02 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:36 pm
Posts: 1744
Location: Greetings from beautiful Place!
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
Or you have sluggy freelance, and I don't have a desire to draw sluggy freelance

_________________
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers


Mon May 30, 2011 12:03 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 5458
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
rickgriffin wrote:
Or you have sluggy freelance, and I don't have a desire to draw sluggy freelance


What's "sluggy freelance"? :?

_________________
Image
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com


Mon May 30, 2011 12:04 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:36 pm
Posts: 1744
Location: Greetings from beautiful Place!
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
A very long-winded comic. At some point, I have to make the decision between setting up every possible character point, or getting on with the plot. Since I don't like plots that carry on for long periods of time with nothing getting done, I try to see how much I can get away with taking out.

(The overarching cosmic plot notwithstanding--it bothers me every time I bring it up and end up moving nothing forward)

_________________
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers


Mon May 30, 2011 12:26 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:30 pm
Posts: 2374
Location: Sweden/North Carolina
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
I have no argument against Fido's actions and Ricks idea to do that. It is something to make the reader think, and it seemed to work. Also, Fido has his reasons and does not understand fully on what is going on, as well as it almost looks like an entire group of gang members down there, which to me is a bit concerning. Anyways, what I mean to say is it is not something that should make you hate Fido because he does not want to save King's soul. (Which he and anyone else does not know about, except Sabrina, the motivational force of the conflict)

_________________
Flint: Str 4, Per 9, End 5, Cha 4, Int 5, Agi 10, Luc 2
(Lucid's Drawing of Flint!)
The original idea of Flint is created by Cobalt Kitty
(Aqua's drawing of Flint!)


Mon May 30, 2011 12:27 pm
Profile
Bringing Foxy Back
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:32 am
Posts: 15497
Location: Nephelokokkygia
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
ChewyChewy wrote:
Sleet wrote:
There's only so much you can put in a comic strip. If you start focusing too much on showing what a character's complete personality is like, then suddenly you don't have much of a plot. Or at least an interesting one.


I disagree--you could have the plot DEMONSTRATE what the character's personality is like based on how he or she reacts to specific situations....
Right, but if you do that to demonstrate their complete personality (or as much as is possible), then you have to start designing stories around demonstrating personality rather than being interesting and/or funny.

_________________
Image
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!


Mon May 30, 2011 12:31 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:32 pm
Posts: 1979
Location: In a house unless I'm not in a house.
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
Oh, I see, well since this hasn't been shown in the comic yet, we wouldn't know. I mean, he always looks tough on any other occasion but ok, I understand.

_________________
Sent from my conifer.


Mon May 30, 2011 12:37 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:35 pm
Posts: 4313
Location: Ohio
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
PhoenixAsper wrote:
Well he could always put that in the cast page, not the comic.


I actually kind of like this idea it would make the cast page even more useable, though the only problem with this is it kind of makes it required reading and some people may not like that.

_________________
Image
Image


Mon May 30, 2011 12:38 pm
Profile
Game Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 6:53 am
Posts: 14578
Location: Italy
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
rickgriffin wrote:
For people wondering at Fido's behavior: If you tried arguing Bino down, it's like shouting at a brick wall. However, no it does not excuse his behavior.

In fact, Fido is 1) not a terribly observant dog (most are not), and 2) extremely weak-willed when it comes to his girlfriend.

If he's weak-willed when it comes to his girlfriend, it stands to reason he may be weak-willed when it comes to his family. After all, he LET Bino, who he knew to be mean and petty, be a founder of the club. Fido's never the one to give Bino a punch in the face when he needs it.

This has not been solidly established in the comic but it might help resolve the character.

Well, many discussions would have stopped if this trait had been explictly underlined in the cast page. While all we had was the portrait of a fine Cap America with a very modesty trait. To us, Fido was supposed to help because nothing made it think of the contrary.
Thnks for claryfying. Fido is the classical dumb jock.

_________________
Image
Image


Mon May 30, 2011 12:40 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:35 pm
Posts: 4313
Location: Ohio
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
rickgriffin wrote:
A very long-winded comic. At some point, I have to make the decision between setting up every possible character point, or getting on with the plot. Since I don't like plots that carry on for long periods of time with nothing getting done, I try to see how much I can get away with taking out.

(The overarching cosmic plot notwithstanding--it bothers me every time I bring it up and end up moving nothing forward)


Rick if you want to write/focus a bit more on the Cosmic Nerds Plot then go ahead Its your comic write what you want.

Edit: I'm not saying that it should become the complete focus of the comic but if you feel like its moving to slowly and you need to move it along I'm sure no one will fault you for doing like a few more arcs on it.

_________________
Image
Image


Last edited by IceKitsune on Mon May 30, 2011 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Mon May 30, 2011 12:52 pm
Profile

Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:38 am
Posts: 579
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
IceKitsune wrote:
rickgriffin wrote:
A very long-winded comic. At some point, I have to make the decision between setting up every possible character point, or getting on with the plot. Since I don't like plots that carry on for long periods of time with nothing getting done, I try to see how much I can get away with taking out.

(The overarching cosmic plot notwithstanding--it bothers me every time I bring it up and end up moving nothing forward)


Rick if you want to write/focus a bit more on the Cosmic Nerds Plot then go ahead Its your comic write what you want.


SECONDED. :)


Mon May 30, 2011 12:52 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:27 am
Posts: 3947
Location: Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
Thanks for the explanaion there, Rick. One thing i could throw in though is to just add more characterization in one-offs if you feel you don't have time for them in arcs.

as for Val there, i wouldn't classify him as the dumb jock. What he's doing isn't necessarily dumb. just a nice guy that happens to be too nice at times. usually the nicest guys are the ones trying not to shout too much, and that's most likely Fido's scenario here. He only spoke up because someone told (or threatened @_@) him to do something about it.

As for the Captain America reference: Fido is similar in a way, but he's more attached to doing everything good rather than everything right.

_________________
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Image


Mon May 30, 2011 12:55 pm
Profile
Bringing Foxy Back
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:32 am
Posts: 15497
Location: Nephelokokkygia
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
valerio wrote:
Fido is the classical dumb jock.
You don't have to reduce every character to a simplistic archetype, yaknow...

_________________
Image
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!


Mon May 30, 2011 12:56 pm
Profile WWW
Game Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 6:53 am
Posts: 14578
Location: Italy
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
GameCobra wrote:
Thanks for the explanaion there, Rick. One thing i could throw in though is to just add more characterization in one-offs if you feel you don't have time for them in arcs.

as for Val there, i wouldn't classify him as the dumb jock. What he's doing isn't necessarily dumb. just a nice guy that happens to be too nice at times. usually the nicest guys are the ones trying not to shout too much, and that's most likely Fido's scenario here. He only spoke up because someone told (or threatened @_@) him to do something about it.

As for the Captain America reference: Fido is similar in a way, but he's more attached to doing everything good rather than everything right.

And was he doing good this time? Was he being nice to whom? Not to his own brother Joey, not to a powerless, smaller Corgi held up by two buff thugs.
Dumb jock unless proven contrarily.

_________________
Image
Image


Mon May 30, 2011 1:07 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 10:35 am
Posts: 125
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
valerio wrote:
rickgriffin wrote:
For people wondering at Fido's behavior: If you tried arguing Bino down, it's like shouting at a brick wall. However, no it does not excuse his behavior.

In fact, Fido is 1) not a terribly observant dog (most are not), and 2) extremely weak-willed when it comes to his girlfriend.

If he's weak-willed when it comes to his girlfriend, it stands to reason he may be weak-willed when it comes to his family. After all, he LET Bino, who he knew to be mean and petty, be a founder of the club. Fido's never the one to give Bino a punch in the face when he needs it.

This has not been solidly established in the comic but it might help resolve the character.

Well, many discussions would have stopped if this trait had been explictly underlined in the cast page. While all we had was the portrait of a fine Cap America with a very modesty trait. To us, Fido was supposed to help because nothing made it think of the contrary.
Thnks for claryfying. Fido is the classical dumb jock.


Really, I don't understand how everyone is so surprised by this. We've seen Fido completely miss the point a couple times already. We also know he's a push-over for Sabrina and anything she wants - we've known this since at least the introduction of Spo. We also know he's confounded the GODC with Bino, and as unobservant as he may be, he knows what Bino's like. We also know that he dislikes directly confronting Bino, given how he reinstated Peanut into the club. This is just a more glaring example of his dislike for confronting Bino directly.

_________________
Image"Remember kids, only you can prevent a fiery apocalypse!"


Mon May 30, 2011 1:11 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:32 pm
Posts: 1979
Location: In a house unless I'm not in a house.
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
Sleet wrote:
valerio wrote:
Fido is the classical dumb jock.
You don't have to reduce every character to a simplistic archetype, yaknow...


How else are the jocks going to know?

_________________
Sent from my conifer.


Mon May 30, 2011 1:13 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:26 am
Posts: 1752
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
PhoenixAsper wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:
rickgriffin wrote:
A very long-winded comic. At some point, I have to make the decision between setting up every possible character point, or getting on with the plot. Since I don't like plots that carry on for long periods of time with nothing getting done, I try to see how much I can get away with taking out.

(The overarching cosmic plot notwithstanding--it bothers me every time I bring it up and end up moving nothing forward)


Rick if you want to write/focus a bit more on the Cosmic Nerds Plot then go ahead Its your comic write what you want.


SECONDED. :)

third'd.
But, seriously,at least put that about Fido in the cast page if you're not explining that in the comic. Even you have to admit lots of people thought Fido was acting weird (to say the least) in today's strip.
EDIT: This strip was a shock to me for Fido's character because I thought he was a person who didn't let his brother harm other people (allowing Peanut back into the club), but there's no heroish act in today's strip. he wasn't going to move a muscle to help King. He even left the building. What if (I'm not saying it was going to happen for sure, but it's still a possibility) Boris and yeltsin ended up hurting King, badly. And don't even come with the argument of "It's a PG comic". In lots of PG cartoons/movies people die. So yeah, Fido is as good as dead to me now. Weak will is still not an excuse.
Don't get me wrong, I'm still loving this comic, but instead of one, I now hate 2 characters
edit 2: stupid typos...

_________________
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus


Last edited by angelusbr on Mon May 30, 2011 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Mon May 30, 2011 1:15 pm
Profile

Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 9:31 pm
Posts: 776
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
I understood perfectly why Fido did that. Have you ever tried arguing with someone that is completely self-centered and slightly paranoid? The conversation goes nowhere. He's too nice to just completely slam down Bino, mostly because they're brothers.


Mon May 30, 2011 1:33 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:27 am
Posts: 3947
Location: Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
valerio wrote:
And was he doing good this time? Was he being nice to whom? Not to his own brother Joey, not to a powerless, smaller Corgi held up by two buff thugs.
Dumb jock unless proven contrarily.


Sure he was. He was helping Bino. But it's just not easy for someone like Fido to say "stop, no, that's enough" because he's just trying to be a good dog. We don't know if Fido says no to many people. he seems to get along very easily. Probably because of his good nature.

_________________
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Image


Mon May 30, 2011 1:36 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:26 am
Posts: 1752
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
Daggy wrote:
I understood perfectly why Fido did that. Have you ever tried arguing with someone that is completely self-centered and slightly paranoid? The conversation goes nowhere. He's too nice to just completely slam down Bino, mostly because they're brothers.

Right. Suppose you're a parent of a very stubborn child who doesn't want to obey. So all you do is say "oh well, let him/her do whatever he/she wants. I wash my hands and lets go see some tv. And who cares about who gets hurt, anyway." ??
edit:
GameCobra wrote:

Sure he was. He was helping Bino. But it's just not easy for someone like Fido to say "stop, no, that's enough" because he's just trying to be a good dog. We don't know if Fido says no to many people. he seems to get along very easily. Probably because of his good nature.

allow me to quote order of the stick: "Good does not mean dumb."

_________________
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus


Last edited by angelusbr on Mon May 30, 2011 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.



Mon May 30, 2011 1:38 pm
Profile
Game Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 6:53 am
Posts: 14578
Location: Italy
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
Daggy wrote:
I understood perfectly why Fido did that. Have you ever tried arguing with someone that is completely self-centered and slightly paranoid? The conversation goes nowhere. He's too nice to just completely slam down Bino, mostly because they're brothers.

true, true.
And in fact, just as Fido spoke his words, Bino, knowing he'd be outruled if it came for the other dogs to choose between him and the TOP DOG, had to concede -although in his classical petty way.
Fido = Spineless dumb jock.
Sabrina = For The Total Win!

Gamecombra, DID you read this comic? Fido had just to bare his teeth and voilà! He had only to do it before. As Angelblur said, he went to see TV

_________________
Image
Image


Mon May 30, 2011 1:39 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:35 pm
Posts: 4313
Location: Ohio
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
angelusbr wrote:
Daggy wrote:
I understood perfectly why Fido did that. Have you ever tried arguing with someone that is completely self-centered and slightly paranoid? The conversation goes nowhere. He's too nice to just completely slam down Bino, mostly because they're brothers.

Right. Suppose you're a parent of a very stubborn child who doesn't want to obey. So all you do is say "oh well, let him/her do whatever he/she wants. I wash my hands and lets go see some tv." ??


That is not even the same thing at all. Its like me telling my younger brother to do something, It just isn't going to happen 90% of the time.

valerio wrote:

Gamecombra, DID you read this comic? Fido had just to bare his teeth and voilà! He had only to do it before. As Angelblur said, he went to see TV


Yeah it worked in the sense that Fido got him to not smash it with the Hammer Bino still didn't listen at all.

_________________
Image
Image


Last edited by IceKitsune on Mon May 30, 2011 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Mon May 30, 2011 1:41 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 5458
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
Okay, I'm surprised that more people are complaining about FIDO than about SABRINA.... :shock: :?

Sabrina just threatened to make Fido NEVER BORN. That is SCARY. NO ONE should have that kind of power, much less threaten to USE it.

Why are people complaining about FIDO not doing anything than about Sabrina threatening something like THAT? Never mind WHY she threatened it, or whether she would have followed through on it--that's immaterial. She threatened to ERASE FIDO'S EXISTENCE. And he clearly took that seriously.

_________________
Image
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com


Mon May 30, 2011 1:41 pm
Profile
Game Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 6:53 am
Posts: 14578
Location: Italy
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
Because Sabrina was in all due right to make that threat, since she KNOWS what would be the consequence of smashing the watch. If she had had the power to intervene directly, she'd have used it. But she was in a total hurry and had to convince DJ Fido to do the right thing right now.
So yes, the threat was legitimate (although I believe exaggerated: Tarot said she is a psychic in training, remember?)

_________________
Image
Image


Mon May 30, 2011 1:45 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:27 pm
Posts: 1620
Location: Singing Fortepiano
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
ChewyChewy wrote:
Sleet wrote:
There's only so much you can put in a comic strip. If you start focusing too much on showing what a character's complete personality is like, then suddenly you don't have much of a plot. Or at least an interesting one.


I disagree--you could have the plot DEMONSTRATE what the character's personality is like based on how he or she reacts to specific situations....



Actually, Sleet is right in my opinion :)

We learn about characters during the story. About their personality, behavior, likes, private life...
When some character appears in a story, there is a chance to learn something about him more. That's what hooks the reader. He is curious what will happen next, and will something surprise him.
Example can be Fox. He was firstly known as one of the bullies who was standing at Bino's side and was picking on Peanut. But today, we know about him more. And maybe we will learn something about him even more, who knows?
Same thing is happening with Fido at this moment. He is known as a Top Dog of the neighborhood, who protects everyone from dangerous ferals, and tries to change pets legal rights for better. But as Indagare said, when reading some strips about him, we could also see his negative points. Every being has his positives and negatives. Fido is not an exeption. Today, we learned about him something new, from the strip and Mr. Griffin's explanation.

That's why it's impossible to explain everything about a character just in one story. Because if that would happen, we would know everything and there would be no point to enjoy the comic. It would become boring. And there wouldn't be what to discuss about on boards.
We can't get everything on a silver plate :) Mr. Griffin can't tell us everything. We need to find out by ourselves :)

_________________
Image

I'm a bookworm!
Currently reading: "Perły" by Władysław Ludwik Anczyc


Mon May 30, 2011 1:46 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:43 pm
Posts: 843
Location: Independence, MO
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
ChewyChewy wrote:
Okay, I'm surprised that more people are complaining about FIDO than about SABRINA.... :shock: :?

Sabrina just threatened to make Fido NEVER BORN. That is SCARY. NO ONE should have that kind of power, much less threaten to USE it.

Why are people complaining about FIDO not doing anything than about Sabrina threatening something like THAT? Never mind WHY she threatened it, or whether she would have followed through on it--that's immaterial. She threatened to ERASE FIDO'S EXISTENCE. And he clearly took that seriously.
*ponders what the world would be like without Fido.*

_________________
Image


Mon May 30, 2011 1:47 pm
Profile WWW
Game Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 6:53 am
Posts: 14578
Location: Italy
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
sorry, Karlos, but there are different ways to serve us those ingredients.
You are totally right, I won't disagree with your analysis... But this just came out of the blue, at a critical moment. Everyone was thinking that Fido was not around, because no one among us would've thought he'd actually be...like this, not now! I see this sudden development as a serious narrative flaw, because so far no one, and I dare you to say otherwise, suspected Fido could be so...un-Fido.

_________________
Image
Image


Mon May 30, 2011 1:51 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:26 am
Posts: 1752
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
IceKitsune wrote:
angelusbr wrote:
Daggy wrote:
I understood perfectly why Fido did that. Have you ever tried arguing with someone that is completely self-centered and slightly paranoid? The conversation goes nowhere. He's too nice to just completely slam down Bino, mostly because they're brothers.

Right. Suppose you're a parent of a very stubborn child who doesn't want to obey. So all you do is say "oh well, let him/her do whatever he/she wants. I wash my hands and lets go see some tv." ??


That is not even the same thing at all. Its like me telling my younger brother to do something, It just isn't going to happen 90% of the time.

So if you see your little brother doing havoc you do nothing at all to stop him just because scolding him won't stop him?
ChewyChewy wrote:
Okay, I'm surprised that more people are complaining about FIDO than about SABRINA.... :shock: :?

Sabrina just threatened to make Fido NEVER BORN. That is SCARY. NO ONE should have that kind of power, much less threaten to USE it.

Why are people complaining about FIDO not doing anything than about Sabrina threatening something like THAT? Never mind WHY she threatened it, or whether she would have followed through on it--that's immaterial. She threatened to ERASE FIDO'S EXISTENCE. And he clearly took that seriously.
Because it only shows how IMPORANT that watch is. Now we know if something happens to the wtach something HORRIBLE will happen to King.
@karlos (since this forum only allows 3 quotes per post): Yes and I agree that we can't have everything in a silver plate. But Ricky's explanation was that Fido was weak willed (as far as I undertood) for ceartin people (his brother included, which doesn't make much sense since he allowed Peanut back even if he's a cat lover himself...). But when I read today's strip I thought he was just a jerk that acted in his own convenience.

_________________
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus


Mon May 30, 2011 1:53 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:35 pm
Posts: 4313
Location: Ohio
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
angelusbr wrote:
So if you see your little brother doing havoc you do nothing at all to stop him just because scolding him won't stop him?


If he was doing exactly what Bino was doing (and remember as far as Fido knows it really is Binos watch hes only doing something because Sabrina told him otherwise/threatened him) no I really wouldn't try to stop him because he wouldn't listen to me anyway (he is an adult just so you know) and its not like he would be hurting anyone (now if he was then I would stop him but that's a different matter all together) if he was doing exactly what Bino is, plus I wouldn't really care all that much either because I try not to get involved in petty stuff like this.

_________________
Image
Image


Mon May 30, 2011 2:18 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:27 pm
Posts: 69
Location: Hungary
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
I hope there will be a chase. That one thing is still missing from this arc.
...And space travel! Oooh! :lol:

_________________
Actually, its RETINQ. See, Retinq. Q.
_________________
I'm a Thread-o-mancer...necro-thread-eee... Whatever.


Mon May 30, 2011 2:21 pm
Profile
Game Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 6:53 am
Posts: 14578
Location: Italy
Post Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs
So what's the sense of the club for the dearest top dog, role model for which whole crowds gather?
That it's a gang in which the meaniest guy can do whatever he want cuz it's his little bro? Do I take it that Fido would've intervened if it had been another dog instead of Bino playing the bully? That Fido's ethics are bound by kin? Or rather by the meanest kin? (helloo? Joey ill-treated?)

_________________
Image
Image


Mon May 30, 2011 2:24 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 1242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 32  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
  • Advertisement
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.